Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

Author Topic: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1998 Guy Ritchie debuted with his feature film, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It was a fun, funny violent romp in the criminal underworld which launched the careers of Jason Statham and Jason Flemyng and set the tone for the Guy Ritchie™ films to follow. With the exception of his next film, Snatch, which for the most part maintained the sassy underground comedy and narrative conniptions of it's predecessor, Ritchie's subsequent films (Swept Away, Revolver, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes) have failed to make the impact of his debut. So when Ritchie turns his attention to an archaic 60's TV programme, there's cause for some scepticism.

Thankfully such scepticism is unfounded as Ritchie's rebirth of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is a solid cracker! It shows Ritchie back on key and looking like the kind of director who would be capable of pulling off something as cool and snappy as Lock Stock.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was conceived in the mid sixties as a kind of 007 for TV, indeed Ian Fleming himself was involved in the programme's conception. It's likeness to Connery-era Bond is clear and Ritchie does a superlative job in recreating that. He packs his film with sass and suits and fashion and fantastic locations which typify the era; by turns beautifully photographed in noirish light and shadow and garish blinding polyester colours. The plot twists and turns through it's interwoven appropriate jazz score, tinged with just a hint of suave sex and sleaze.

Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer and Alicia Vikander make a fantastic 3, unlikely allies sparring with each other through the twisty plot to out a villain threatening the welfare of the world with (of course) a nuclear bomb.

Cavill is suave as hell as American agent, Napoleon Solo, finding a more comfortable niche outside the Man of Steel. Hammer has not been this good since he came to prominence in Fincher's The Social Network. His Illya Kuryakin's barely restrained, iron clad pent up Soviet rage could explode at any moment and periodically does. But the most fun is Vikander's play against type. Having made a name for herself as an uppity type in A Royal Affair, here she's the mechanic's daughter pretending to be posh and she's a delight. The performances from all three stars are great; their dialogue delivery is funny, dead pan, and the comic timing is spot on.

Ritchie's The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is the best Bond film we've seen in many a year.

10 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 11:23 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Man From UNCLE quite a bit. Didn't enjoy it as much as Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation, Spy, and Kingsman: The Secret Service, but I again enjoyed another spy film that takes the Bond approach to things but was still had a much lighter and fun feeling than the recent Bond movies. Kind of made me feel skeptical about Spectre if it's gonna be another one of those Dark Knight-like Bond movies that are about survival and death in a realistic fashion.
Film: 3 out of 4 stars
Presentation: 4 out of 4 stars (no problems to comment on)

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 11:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to like this movie but I thought the chemistry between the three leads were kind of forced and lacking, Armie's attempt at a Russian accent was laughable. The plot seemed like something I had seen elsewhere and the pacing was all over the place. Guy's style seemed overly bombastic and coy - his use of music was great (and in Atmos quite pummeling)

I'd give it 2 and half stars out of five. it was just okay, not great, highly doubt we'll see a sequel - shame really since the cast was so beautiful to watch, despite all the flaws.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2015 02:21 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely, I've never been a fan of Guy Ritchie's work with the exception of the first Sherlock Holmes, but I do admit he really tries make the locations in his movie look "artsy", which looks great in a movie like UNCLE where everything is bright and vibrant, but not in a movie like Holmes where the setting is too bland and dark.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-22-2015 08:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 17
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: An old television brand is slapped on a stock Guy Ritchie script. Wackiness ensues.

I enjoy Ritchie's movies...hell, I still love "Snatch" to pieces...and I enjoyed this one, but his schtick is getting old. Is the man capable of making a movie without flashbacks to explain the plot twist? The guy is becoming as formulaic as a Jerry Bruckheimer television production.

Still, I had a decent time. The best part was the chase scene towards the end and the soundtrack under it. The music and drum beats perfectly enhanced the experience in a standout way. Really showcased the sound system in this auditorium.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: