Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ant-Man

Author Topic: Ant-Man
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ant-Man is a tricky movie to pull off. Even in a world of radioactive spiders and kryptonite (settle down geek guys and gals, I know kryptonite isn't a Marvel thing but my point is) the idea of a superhero that transforms to the size of a small insect sounds more like comic parody than serious comic fantasy - something that would sit more comfortably in the world of Kickass or Mystery Men, perhaps, or at best Watchmen or The Incredibles.

So does it hold up?

Well, kind of. The story presents itself as an interesting aside in the wider Marvel universe but it is just that - an aside. There's certainly an interesting story here, and perhaps future instalments may add something more substantial, but as it is presented here the most intriguing moments are when it references Marvel's mega franchise, The Avengers. And, indeed, intentions are made very clear that Ant Man will join the Avengers team in the near future. This raises the question as to whether the story may have been better suited to a subplot in the next Avengers movie as there seems barely enough story here to fill a feature of it's own.

It's well known that Edgar Wright was originally slated to direct Ant-Man and Wright has maintained a screenwriter credit. His fingerprints remain on the project but the comic dialogue which remains falls mostly flat. The dialogue doesn't feel as sharp as it wants to be and maybe the issue is with replacement director, Peyton Reed, who is known for his moderately successful but lightweight comedies. In any case, internet debates will no doubt rage over what could have been.

Paul Rudd is a likeable character but his presence here is sleight. As is his romantic interest in Evangeline Lilly. The chemistry between the pair could also be described as "sleight". Michael Douglas, however, provides some old school screen presence which is most welcome and reminds us of how little we see him these days.

6.5 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2015 09:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I had some problems with the overly simplistic script - but the whole experience in IMAX-laser was such an insanely visual roller coaster ride! So despite it's flaws, I was still entertained. The 3D from Stereo D / Prime Focus is flat out excellent too.

7.5 / 10

oh and Michael Pena is a scream - he steals every scene his character is in.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-21-2015 12:48 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinerama, Seattle, WA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Digital 4K Projection from Freaking Laser Beams, Dolby ATMOS
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THIS. IS. CINERAMA. Well, not really. They have a normal screen with a normal modern multiplex curve up front. I assume the Cinerama screen is intact behind it, but what's here has absolutely nothing on the Warren Grand Infinity screens.

You know what really makes watching a movie here stand out? The audience. These people purposely go out of their way to come here and pay $15 (not including parking) to see movies here, and they're great. They laugh when they should, and they're silent otherwise. They don't take out their phones. Even if this cinema didn't provide a stellar presentation, watching movies with these people would be worth it.

THE PLOT: Baskin-Robbins ALWAYS finds out. Wackiness ensues.

This was entertaining as hell. Not too heavy, lots of laughter, and action you could actually follow. The work to make Michael Douglas and Martin Donovan young was impressive. And I loved the casting of John Slattery as Howard Stark. You put Martin Donovan and John Slattery in your movie, and you've already scored points with me.

I have a feeling this will be one of the more watched movies in my home collection. Not quite on par with the first "Thor", but right up there.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Barrywoods 24
Aud #12, Dolby Cinema/Amc Prime(Atmos)
7/20/15 7:00pm

What a heck of a good time this movie was. Much better than I was anticipating. Would watch again.

The "Sub-atomic" scene was pretty cool in Atmos.

Paul Rudd with his shirt off was a nice touch [Wink]

Michael Peņa was hilarious.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past several weeks, I had done a number of pre-release "Ant Man" press and
preview events. Most of these were 'wine and cheese' screenings hosted by the studio.

At one of them they were also handing out ATMOS cupcakes!
 -

I later figured out that the reason they were called "ATMOS CAKES"
was that when you ate one, the icing stuck to the roof of your mouth!
[Roll Eyes]
 -

As for the movie, I never once had the chance to actually watch it, but
the audiences at all the screenings seemed to be having a good time,
(then again- they were supplied with free booze) but from what I saw
it looked good enough that I'll probably go to watch it myself this week.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-30-2015 10:03 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a new idea, ala FANTASTIC VOYAGE (1966) and INNERSPACE (1987).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-11-2015 04:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Screening 7/16
Cinema: Cinemark Carefree Circle, Colorado Springs
Screen: IMAX Branded House
Format: IMAX Digital 3D, dual 2K projection
Presentation Problems: 2K source & 3D conversion limitations

Second Screening 7/26
Cinema: Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16, Oklahoma City
Screen: Cine Capri
Format: 2D, Dolby Atmos
Presentation Problems: 2K source limitations

Rating: 3 stars out of 4

I watched Ant Man twice, once with my parents in Colorado Springs at a Thursday night sneak preview screening and again the following weekend in Oklahoma City with my girlfriend, her daughter and some of her daughter's friends. That kind of explains the two screenings situation.

On the whole Ant Man was a pretty good movie, buoyed mainly by some good comedic moments, particularly from Michael Peņa and a good supporting cast. That was enough to get me to go along with the story and look past some fairly odd things. Shrinking the space between atoms thus shrinking objects and people is one thing. But being able to communicate with ants and organize colonies of them into action might actually be a much bigger scientific achievement. Obviously we're not supposed to think about that or a lot of other rules in physics very much. This is a movie that doesn't take itself very seriously. It probably would have really sucked if it did.

Most here know I'm not a big fan of IMAX' dual 2K projection and 5.0 sound, certainly not for the premium being charged for it. But I humored my dad anyway and we saw the Thursday night preview screening there. During the trailer pack various geeks in the crowd broke into applause at various parts of a Star Wars: Episode VII trailer, one that has already been out for weeks. I'm sure everyone of them saw that trailer 100 times already. Yet they were applauding as if anyone on the imaginary stage could hear it. I thought about "Ogre" from Revenge of the Nerds shouting, "Nerds!" Go ahead. Throw some roses at the screen while you're at it. Anyway, the one positive thing I can say for IMAX Digital is the projection is acceptably bright, even in 3D. The downside: Ant Man was a 2D-3D conversion job and it suffered from the floating cardboard cut-outs syndrome in plenty of places.

The second screening, a week later, was in 2D and Dolby Atmos. We sat a little closer to the screen due to the flat aspect ratio. Sound quality easily beat the IMAX show. This wasn't the best Atmos mix I've heard, but the sound designers definitely had fun with it in a few spots. However, the image quality wasn't any better than what I saw in the IMAX show.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-11-2015 09:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, I've heard others as well question why people clap in a movie theatre either at some point during the film or when the credit crawl starts; there is really a very simple explanation...they are not clapping because they expect the filmmakers to hear them, they are clapping for the same reason they laugh or have any other spontaneous reaction to what they are seeing or experiencing. For example, a number of times when I've run WEST SIDE STORY, at the first appearance of Natalie Wood,

-
(dear lord she was stunning)

the audience invariably breaks out in applause. Obviously they don't think the dead actress can hear then, they are simply expressing a communal feeling of appreciation, a shared acknowledgement that they all join in; it's a very natural response that people have in a group. It doesn't make them nerds by any means. In fact, I am glad when I see that kind of reaction -- it's what movies are SUPPOSED to do.

That used to happen at almost every show when we ran STAR WARS IV A NEW HOPE -- hefty applause -- at the superfast iris out at the end into the credit crawl. If you think that makes them nerds, then that might mean you are venturing into the realm of old fuddy-duddy-ism. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-11-2015 10:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's one thing for an audience to applaud during the movie or at the end of a movie, particularly a movie they've never seen. I have witnessed this numerous times and not been bothered by it.

A movie trailer is a different matter, especially a movie trailer that everyone who is applauding has already seen (and perhaps masturbated to) 1000 times before seeing it again that night. That is insufferably silly and pretentious.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2015 02:55 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard LOTS of claps for the Episode VII trailer when I saw Age of Ultron, but no one clapped (and I was at a sold-out showing) when I saw Ant-Man. Guess a lot of people have gotten bored of it already.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-12-2015 08:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly surprised, but NOT disappointed, that there hasn't been a new 2:30 trailer for SW:TFA. In fact I hope they DON'T make any more trailers for it. In fact even if they do, I think I'll just continue to run the current one with occasional shows.

People probably clapped for the trailer with Avengers because it was new. They would have clapped at Ant-Man too, if it was a new trailer.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2015 01:08 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J.J. Abrams confirmed earlier this week that the next (and hopefully final) trailer is coming out in the fall, so probably mid October release. To be honest, I'm getting sick of having the Force Awakens trailer always on our trailer Deluxe drives, we've gotten it on everything from Age of Ultron to The Gallows! Even this weekend we have to show it on Straight Outta Compton, which's story doesn't really match with Star Wars. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: