Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Love & Mercy

Author Topic: Love & Mercy
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2015 09:54 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friends and I went to see this great Beach Boy doc film yesterday at the classic art deco DelMar Theatre in the beach town of Santa Cruz CA. Even though It was shot in old flat 1.85 the best part was the 7.1 Dolby mix on this film. The Del Mar had the surround speakers up and the split surround mix was one of the best I have have ever heard since Dolby Digital started. If you enjoy surround sound this is the movie to see this summer. The Del even had 'Beach Boy' retro music playing when the crowd was coming in. The Red waterfall curtains with pipe organ sound coming on when they went up was a added treat. Go see this doc film, I enjoyed It very much with all that happened to Brian Wilson and stay for the credits to see him sing now. The only thing that I would have added was some old classic Beach Boy film clips going along with the credits at the end. Let me know If you had the same sound experience I did on this new movie. Check out the DelMar Theatre next time you are in Northern CA surf city Santa Cruz CA.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2015 10:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree I thought the 7.1 mix was outstanding. Actually all of Paul Dano's scenes as the young Brian Wilson were great ... John Cusack though... no, bad casting in my opinion.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2015 04:39 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie works a lot better if you are NOT particularly a Beach Boys fan and do not know Wilson's back story, I'm sure there is a certain lurid fascination to Wilson's crack-up, and the whole "the love of a strong woman saves someone from himself" angle pretty well played. But for anyone who has followed the band, and knows the whole story, this is a bore. It's just the movie version of a story that is well known by fans, and breaks no real new ground. I've been a Wilson/Beach Boys fan since they first emerged from Hawthorne, California in 1962, and I honestly found the picture tedious to sit through.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-14-2015 10:54 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a BioPic, not a Doc, right?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ correct.

a bluray audio version of 'Pet Sounds' comes out on August 28th:

"This isn’t the first reissue of the Beach Boys’ most acclaimed work, but it is the first featuring high resolution (24-bit/192kHz) audio. In addition to Brian Wilson’s original mix in PCM Mono, the Blu-ray release also includes versions in Dolby True HD Stereo and the new DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround mixes. These two mixes were produced and mixed by Mark Linett, the three-time Grammy winning record producer and audio engineer, under Wilson’s supervision.
Bonus tracks include the Unused Intro for Don’t Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder), Wouldn’t It Be Nice – Session Highlights, Wouldn’t It Be Nice – Alternative Mix without Lead Vocal, God Only Knows – Session Highlights, God Only Knows – Master Track Mix with A Cappella Tag, and Summer Means New Love."

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2015 09:09 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this film again before the Sept 15 DVD release for the second time this week and the first time shown at the Castro Theatre in SF. A big thanks to Sam at Dolby who has the surround speakers working great. The 7.1 surround mix took off and even the ast manager told me he has never heard the speakers sound so good. Turns out the back wall speakers were not working so now they are, thanks again Sam.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: