Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » San Andreas (2015) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: San Andreas (2015)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-28-2015 10:16 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Fridley Copper Creek 9, Pleasant Hill, IA
AUDITORIUM: 6
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Auditorium under renovation, screen essentially bare
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

In advance of the forthcoming nearby Cinemarkury Altoona, which has walls currently going up, Fridley is pimping this joint out. Gone is the cheesy faux palace look of the auditoriums in favor of a cheesy 70's dual color curtain decor alternating blue and gold, specifically. Which makes sense since most of the screens in this place are about as big as mall shoebox multiplexes. They've also replaced the seats with new black leather units that appear to be the same ones Cinemark is using these days. And in some cases they've upgraded the presentation. The main auditorium (5) has an NEC 4K projector and Dolby Atmos now. And sound in this auditorium also appears to have been upgraded. Very clear and great low end.

What's unfinished about this room is the screen space. There's no masking at all and the waterfall screen curtain has temporarily disappeared. (I assume it'll be back as I peeked in 5 and it still has one.) The ceiling tiles are all missing in front of the screen too, so...work in progress.

They've also updated the lobby and snack bar, which has updated offerings including hamburgers.

THE PLOT: Shake shake shake...shake shake shake...shake your...wackiness ensues.

We have the usual disaster movie suspects...a disaster, a college expert shouting "I TOLD YOU SO!", a strained relationship complete with unsigned divorce papers, the dickish new boyfriend (though he really only makes one dick move here), the daughter, the geeky guy she's going to fall for when he rescues her, and his scene-stealing sidekick brother. Mom, dad, daughter, and the boys overcome insurmountable odds and a drowning metaphor to be reunited amidst the world literally falling apart around them in ways that I'm pretty sure indicate the director had no idea how earthquakes or tsunamis really work, and didn't care as long as it looked cool.

There's two reasons to see this movie...Dwayne Johnson and Carla Gugino. Johnson is his usual great self, and Gugino is a dead ringer for Smokey and the Bandit-era Sally Field. Even if they have the most groan-inducing line about second base in the history of cinema.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-01-2015 03:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this at a local discount multiplex. Long time no see, but the situation didn't really improve. Showing people 35 minutes worth of commercials and trailers after the advertised starting time isn't just pushing it, but should be considered a crime...

We all know that the average multiplex cinema operation revolved primarily around selling overpriced snacks, beverages and candy and not giving a flying fuck about presentation standards. Now with remote controlled D-Cinema, this has evolved to not remotely giving a flying fuck about presentation standards.

First off all, this big bulky 35mm dust collector that hasn't seen a film in 5 years and will, unfortunately, never see any film again... Why not push it to the side a little, so your digital projector can take center spot? Otherwise, try some lens shift maybe? It might just get your picture somewhat more evenly focused on screen.

Also, it's really great to know your surrounds are working, but the real action is still on screen, so why do your stage speakers sound like they're on Oxycontin? The calibration in this auditorium was a total disgrace for your ears. I guess somewhere in the last few years, the audio processor died and the monkey who replaced it didn't even care to get the presets even somewhat right.

So, the stage was set for a crappy movie, unfortunately, it delivered on all expectations.

It took three and a half years to shoot this movie. Apparently writing a script this formulaic and bland is hard business. Also, if you make a movie about the destruction of California, make sure you film most of it in Australia.

You know, I could go on endlessly about unimportant stuff like physics, probability, believability, etc. But let's just pretend this is a fantasy movie, maybe a fairy tale, even including *spoilers* an happy ending, and all this kind of stuff really isn't that important. Then again, maybe, they could just leave out a destruction scene or two and put the money saved into some real story and screen writers?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a special preview screening of this movie for some of the 'top brass' and
members of the SF Police & Fire Departments, assorted disaster response teams
and some staff from SF Office Of Emergency Services one day last week.

(Also attending were many of the officers involved in having to deal with the
downtown traffic jams due to street closures during the 'San Andreas' filming)

Before the movie, several of the officials got up to address the group to make
some opening remarks. At one point during her speech, the Chief of the SF Fire
Department said:
". . . and speaking of safety- - somebody needs to fix THAT exit sign",
as she pointed to a sign over one of the rear exits with burned out bulbs.

D'oh! [Roll Eyes] (To quote Maxwell Smart: "Sorry about that, chief.")

The news media where there, and after the movie several of the earthquake
experts were asked for their opinion, and for the most part they just rolled
their eyes. One of them summed it up best by saying "it's only a movie"

Yes, as Marcel points out, this is a good film to make sure your surrounds are
working. But, I was a little surprised there's no ATMOS mix of this movie, as it
seems to be well suited for it. I don't know how they decide which movies
get the ATMOS treatment and which don't.

Friday, for example, I did a private "industry screening" for Warner Brothers
of a movie that comes out next month, and was very surprised to see it had
an ATMOS mix, since it's a comedy, without ANY action sequences and is pretty
much 100% a 'dialogue picture'.

I had to stay in the booth, so I couldn't go watch it down in the auditorium
to hear what, if anything, the ATMOS track added to the overall movie.
But the ATMOS addition to that flick seemed pretty pointless to me.

Go figure. . .

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-01-2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16
Screen: Cine Capri
Format: 2D, Dolby Atmos
Presentation Problems: Image a tad bit on the dim side
Rating: 2 stars out of 4

Some friends of mine were spending the evening in Oklahoma City and wanted to check out San Andreas. I went along with it, knowing this was probably going to be a pretty dumb spectacle. We ended up having a good time laughing at a bunch of the implausible situations and completely illogical actions taken by characters -all to support two very important priorities: make shit that looks cool on the screen and do shit that keeps the spotlight on the name above the title star. It should be fun to see how Screen Junkies takes apart this movie in a Honest Trailer installment.

The Rock, piloting a helicopter: "We're gonna tip the hat." That scene early in the movie is a clear hint viewers need to unplug much of their brain during this movie. The whole thing is about spectacle. It's bubble gum for the eye balls. Nothing more.

Even in that respect I think the movie makers could have done a better job with the spectacle. Some important landmarks in California and Nevada get destroyed on screen, but they totally waste many opportunities to show big things getting pulverized in more satisfyingly dramatic fashion. The Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge is a marvel of engineering; you only get a partial glimpse of it falling down in the background as characters run for their lives on the Hoover Dam. The U.S. Bank Tower is currently the tallest building in Los Angeles. We don't get a good view of it getting destroyed at all, certainly nothing like how it got detonated in Independence Day. The Transamerica Pyramid Center is arguably the most well known tower in San Francisco. This movie has it toppling over far in the distance. There are plenty of close up, dramatic shots of skyscrapers collapsing and lots of other things getting destroyed, but it's all generic stuff.

I suspect this scattered and very generic approach to the spectacle was about saving money on the production and putting more cash into the pockets of a select, small group of people. It might have taken more time and money to show the destruction of well known landmarks in more dramatic, better composed fashion.

quote: Jim Cassedy
Yes, as Marcel points out, this is a good film to make sure your surrounds are
working. But, I was a little surprised there's no ATMOS mix of this movie, as it
seems to be well suited for it.

San Andreas actually does have a Dolby Atmos mix. Maybe they didn't have it available for industry preview screenings. The theater where I watched it definitely played it in Atmos. I thought it was a pretty good Atmos mix too. That was one of the few positive things about the movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss disaster movies like "The Towering Inferno" or "Airport," where you knew certain things were 'only a movie' but the over-arching story seemed completely plausible and therefore allowed you to really feel empathy for the characters. In those movies the story was about the people, not about the disaster.

In "Airport" the main disaster sequence (from the point where the bomb goes off to the point where Dean Martin gets back into the cockpit and says "Turn on all the heat you got!") takes all of two minutes. Can you imagine what that scene would have been like if Michael Bay or somebody had gotten hold of it?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-02-2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe those movies had the "advantage" of budgetary and technical constrains. They needed to fill screen time with something other than just stuff falling apart.

This movie did "center" around a few characters, but the story was just sooo unimaginative and bland, even George Lucas would've been better at conveying the emotional drama supposedly unfolding on screen. In this particular case, the movie probably would've been better if they kept the personal aspect to an absolute minimum. [Wink]

Actually, it felt more like a cheap, apocalyptic computer game, where you're taken from one near-death situation to the other, intermixed with some boring cutscenes to glue it all together.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2015 11:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They shouldn't have bothered with the estranged marriage aspect of this story unless they could have done something better with it. If they wanted human drama they should have concentrated it on the disaster at hand, like showing ordinary characters thrust into the role of heroes. That does happen in real life sometimes. But maybe "Save The Cat!" doesn't have a chapter about that.

I could have forgiven the very bland, unoriginal relationship story as well as the blatant lapses with logic and science if the movie makers had just bothered to make the movie more fun.

This is kind of what I'm getting at in showing recognizable landmarks get destroyed. Don't the people who made this movie remember all the make believe stuff they did as kids? Build a big Lego skyscraper of the Empire State Building, then launch Hot Wheels cars off it or demolish it! Independence Day was technically not a very good movie at all. It was painfully bad in some parts, but it had some ground-breaking destruction in it. That's what made it a huge hit, not the human element part of the story.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sheesh - some of y'all take such personal offence to some movies.

I went into this with very low expectations and I was personally entertained - it's far better than '2012' and I thought the special effects were decent. The IMAX-laser sound mix though ... whoah... wow!

the ending, specifically the last line from the Rock was hysterically bad, that's when it personally made my eyes roll into the back of my head. really?.. really?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Barrywoods 24
Dolby Cinema/Atmos(played at reference)/dual laser
6/3 10:00pm

Man, I gotta say, I don't understand the hate. This was the most fun I've had watching a movie in a LONG time. Hell, half the movie I was on the edge of my seat, jaw on the floor, nearly yelling "OH MYYYYY GAWWWDDD" over and over. It was non stop awesome.

Sure, it was cheesy, not much plot.... But think of if that were to happen to your family in real life. Chances are they couldn't make a movie out of it 'cause you'd all die with the first quake, let alone the subsequent LARGER quakes and thousand foot tall tsunami.

I seriously very much enoyed this movie and wouldn't even mind shelling out another $13 to see it again.

I WISH THEY WOULD PLAY THE "ATMOS UNFOLD" TRAILER RATHER THAN THE DOLBY CINEMA TRAILER.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-04-2015 08:39 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
Hell, half the movie I was on the edge of my seat, jaw on the floor, nearly yelling "OH MYYYYY GAWWWDDD" over and over. It was non stop awesome.
Exactly how much Ecstasy did you take before you saw this?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-04-2015 09:55 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EARTHQUAKE 2 (why did it take them so long between cracks in the earth?), only SAN ANDREAS was done with 1000 computer artists sitting at a bank of 1000 computer screens and a couple of thousand miles of green screen material, whereas EARTHQUAKE was done with 2 or 3 thousand sfx stagehands and elaborate, real-time break-away props on a city built on Universal's backlot, all of which had to be actually destroyed in the process. Now which production do you think was more fun to work on? Digital...it sucks the fuckin fun out of EVERYTHING.

That said, aside from unlikable actors -- The Rock (what a pretentious asshole of a name) really annoys me for some reason -- playing one dimensional roles in 3D, and a script that well, if you chuckled at it, you were rolling on the floor laughing at the inane plot what there was and stunts. Yes, let's get a helicopter to fly SIDEWAYS like a Millennium Falcon between falling buildings. OK, so I wasn't exactly ROTFL because the floor in this rat-hole was a smelly, sticky rug harboring more of a health risk than anything depicted on the screen would ever be....but I digress.

For all the silliness and for all the plot holes, for a 3D fan, I have to admit, this was a visual FEAST. I was in awe at some of the imaginative composition and fluidity of the shots and at times, the beauty of the shear spectacle.

But, the pure saving grace of all the nonsense was the great music score in one super sound mix on steroids. For all the myriad of faults in presentation at the particular "premium" Regal hole-in-th-wall where I saw SAN ANDREAS -- the sound was so impressive it really saved the day for me. They were getting subbass sound pressure levels that were moving viscera around (and now with my spanking new aorta stent, I was wondering if the near-Sensurround playback could maybe dislodge it?). The mix was molto impressive. They sound designer were able to get just the right balance between bombastic music and destruction rumble, yet you could hear the awful dialog without distortion....by no means an easy feat. Gregg Landaker and Tim LeBlanc were sound re-recording mixers -- what a great job.

It did flash thru my mind as I felt the pounding roar of a huge chunk of concrete fall, what the other poor slobs in the next theatre must have been suffering, knowing that Regal couldn't have worried too much about sound isolation given all the other stuff they obviously didn't worry about in this "premium" crapola room. But then I remembered the premium price I paid and I though, the guy in the next theatre is on his own.

Anyway, if you pick your venue wisely, the sound mix alone delivered plenty of pizzazz to enjoy. If you are a 3D fan (the two or three of us on FT), depth levels are keeps realistic and good attention is paid to convergence points from shot to shot -- most important to prevent eyeballs crashing into each other. Over-all, the 3D was quite oooh & ahhh-making. I had one of my fellow 3D aficionados who hadn't been to a 3D movie in a few months -- says he's had his fill of Pixar cartoons, no matter how clever they are -- he leaned over to me during one of the really impressive aerial shots where infinity went way deep behind the screen and building tops jutting out, floating in air in front of it and he said, "DAMN, I forgot how much I love 3D." I said, "I never forget."

Actually, on the drive home, everyone seemed to genuinely have a good time (except for me, as I quietly seethed about the hot spot and the soft focus and the lack of masking and the bad smell from the stinky, sticky carpet and the $8 surcharge they stole out of my pocket for it all). So, I guess you really can't ask for much more from a movie, other than everyone having a good time....well, sure you can -- you can ask that it requires to get at least a FEW brain cells firing, but you know what I mean. Which I guess tells me, there can be enough fun stuff in a bad movie to still make it a really good time...you know, like these 1.5/5 ers.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of my movie friends will be going to the 3-D showing of this film on Friday 6/5 at one of the last single screen big theatres left in the SF Bay Area. The Century Corte Madera Cinema in Marin county. Opened in 1969 and their last film will be shown soon (J Park 3-D) before It will be torn down for condos. They have a nice semi curved screen and just old regular 7.1 Dolby but I think I will enjoy this movie for my last visit to this great cinema. George Lucas loves this theatre and ran many of his first run movie block buster movies here, the sound is great. Just think If we are at the show on Friday we may get hit by the big one while I am watching the movie and they won't have to tear down the place, nature will do It for them. It's all in the timing. They have plenty of exits for us to get out before I get hit by a surround speaker.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-04-2015 12:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my original review I failed to mention seeing a real life spectacle on the drive home back to Lawton. I watched a drunk driver nearly flip his vehicle on I-44. We were riding in my friend's Mercury luxury car when this small red Chevy passed us doing around 100mph. We caught up to the guy later and he was driving very erratic, weaving to left and then correcting to the right. He went too far left and hit the concrete Jersey barrier. The Chevy got lifted nearly sideways. The driver pulled to the right, with his car driving on only the right two wheels. It dropped back down on all four tires. And the drunk kept on going! I called 911 to get OHP on his tail. AFAIK, the drunk driver exited the turnpike and got away before the highway patrol could bust him.

Sad thing: no big, loud Atmos-like moments with that car crash, at least not what we could hear inside that luxury car.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
I went into this with very low expectations and I was personally entertained - it's far better than '2012' and I thought the special effects were decent.
2012 was a ridiculous movie. No doubt about that. However, I thought its visuals were a lot better than the ones in San Andreas. Scenes of destruction were much better composed and more dramatic looking.

It's almost like San Andreas was trying to be subtle. "Oh, let's not show the TransAmerica Pyramid tower falling over in a dramatic close up view. That'll be too obvious and literal. Let's show it way off in the distance so viewers might miss it!" These guys were taking their movie too seriously when they should have been having more fun with the subject matter. San Andreas isn't Merchant-Ivory. It isn't even Deep Impact.

Disaster movies like this aren't the place for subtlety. Not only should they have shown the TransAmerica Pyramid falling over very close up, they should have shown it close enough so you could see people raining out of it -kind of like what Michael Bay did with New York's Chrysler Building in Armageddon. Hell, have the pointy end of the TransAmerica Pyramid take out a douche-bag character we don't like.

quote: Buck Wilson
I WISH THEY WOULD PLAY THE "ATMOS UNFOLD" TRAILER RATHER THAN THE DOLBY CINEMA TRAILER.
The Harkins Theater in Bricktown pretty much only plays the Unfold trailer in front of its Atmos shows. They've played Amaze a few times, but it just doesn't have the same "in your face" impact. Plus, the big sound/zoom end of Unfold sets up a good opportunity to say "suck it IMAX" out loud. I did that once. The comment got some laughter and applause.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Exactly how much Ecstasy did you take before you saw this?
Juuuuuust enough. [Razz]

Bobby- That's fantastic. I've been tempted to use the bit of dead air after the snipe for something similar, but typically all I can manage is a loud guttural groan reminiscent of a cheesy 70's porno. Nailed it.

On that note(imax vs PLF) this particular screen is developing a very steadfast following. When I talked to them last time I was there, she commented how many people were upset it was closing for conversion to Dolby Cinema, because they weren't going to be able to see Avengers in Prime.

This time, at the usher station, the guy in front of me was also going to Andreas in the Dolby screen... the usher directed him and the guy cut him off, "Oh, I know EXACTLY where it is" with a chuckle... then mentioned he sees everything he can in it. Good man.

SUCK IT, IMAX!!

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed San Andreas at the Century Corte Madera in Marin near San Francisco. The large curved screen is one of just a few left in the SF Bay Area. The surround mix was one of the best I have heard and they have them turned up at this soon to be torn down cinema. With just Dolby 5.1 the bass and wrap around surround effect on the film was great. The 3-D was so so not much coming off the screen. Go check out this soon to be lost theatre soon. We had lunch at Marin Joe's near the theatre after and who did I run into, my roommate from 49 years ago Tim and his friend James Gabbert from KOFY Ch 20. He was the guy that had the first stereo radio station KPEN FM in the SF area in the 60's. They were located across from the long gone Fox Theatre on Market ST in SF.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: