Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Tomorrowland (2015)

Author Topic: Tomorrowland (2015)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-24-2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: RAVEmc West Chester 18, West Chester, OH
AUDITORIUM: 18
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Volume too low, no set masking
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Yeah, as noted in another thread, it appears proper masking has gone the way of the film projector. The "motion" picture exhibition industry. If it requires mechanical motion, kill it.

THE PLOT: A kid builds a jet pack. Wackiness ensues.

This is a Brad Bird (or as I kept thinking through the movie, "Brad Spielbird") vehicle that wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It's basically about a guy who knows the Earth is going to end and can do something to warn us about it, but won't because he feels we deserve it for not taking measures earlier to clean up the environment and over-eating and what not.

I suppose I should sympathize with his position considering my solution would be to outlaw pregnancy and simply phase out the human race, but I didn't.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-26-2015 05:17 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you didn't outlaw pregnancy or you didn't sympathize with George Cloony? Maybe we should agree on a compromise? Outlaw George Cloony? Would that make the World of Tomorrow a more progressed place?

This movie ended up being pretty much a mixed bag, containing a dose of nostalgia, product placement and this BIG in your face message. The utopian place called Tomorrowland looked gorgeous in all its bright and beautiful Dolby Cinema 4K laser projected glory. Just a little bit... boring. No booze, no sleazy bars, no hookers..?

What I've got out of the movie: Next time you're riding It's a small world, don't forget to bring your Tomorrowland pin, because your ride will get one heck of an upgrade!

Now all sing along, while the Carousel of Progress keeps turning: It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2015 12:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was eye candy (not Clooney, but the sfx). I didn't think the sound mix was all that great either -- the action parts sounded muddy to me compared to some other recent movies like "Avengers 2." It was a fun way to pass 2 hours but I have almost completely forgotten it already. Not the effect I was expecting, given the hype they're piling on it.

2 out of 5 stars for me.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2015 08:18 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skywalker Sound was sort of making a big deal about the Atmos mix and all - I agree Mike, about the the overall mix, it was good, but not as fully engaging as I was led to believe.

in regards to the actual movie I didn't mind it, I loved the SciFi store, I hope the bluray/DVD has a photo gallery of the store and it's toys and such, the visual nods to the Iron Giant and Incredibles. In the destruction scene there's a cute audio cue of R2-D2 in the mix.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2015 09:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
saw this again, today, but in IMAX-laser and I have to say, the Dolby Atmos mix actually sounded better than the 12-channel IMAX mix.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: