Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Sound of Music TCM 50th Anniversary

Author Topic: The Sound of Music TCM 50th Anniversary
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2015 08:52 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that it would be fun to see Sound of Music in the theater for the 50th Anniversary TCM special screening.

This is the 2nd TCM theater special screening I have been to, and both presentations have been abysmal!!!

Theater: Hulen Movie Tavern, Fort Worth.

For those who think that this digital projection is the greatest invention since the wheel or sliced bread.....

[Moon] [puke] [thumbsdown] [sleep]

The film started with the usual trailers presented in a huge variety of aspect ratios with no masking.

Considering that this was a TCM presentation...I was expecting something extra special from Robert Osborne. Bob's presentation was nothing different than what is presented on television.

The trailers where in digital stereo. Once Robert Osborne cam on screen, the sound appeared to switch to a muted mono, and stayed that way throughout the film. As for all the hype about the sharpness and clarity of digital....ya right. The image was not out of focus, but was very soft and grainy.

The lights never went full down...I guess they want people to see what they are eating. About 10 minutes prior to the film end, the house lights went to 1/4 up.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2015 09:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I assume this was a satellite transmission. The only two instances that Fathom used DCP's was via Sony for 'Taxi Driver' and 'Lawrence of Arabia' - there's been some murmurings that Fathom is in talks in presenting the new transfer/restoration of 'My Fair Lady' to theaters, if its not DCP, there will be hell to pay.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2015 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like most of the problems cited were in the theater itself, not the DCP of the movie.

We got an email from Fox yesterday offering TSOM on DCP for bookings starting on Mother's Day. I'm tempted to play it at some point -- the last time we ran it was in 1990 for our 60th anniversary classics series, and the print we got we gawd-awful.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: