Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » It Follows (2015)

Author Topic: It Follows (2015)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A group of twenty-somethings band together to protect one of their own, who is being pursued by malevolent beings since a one-night stand with a mysterious young man. At the BowTie Cinemas Clairidge Theater, Montclair, NJ, and in limited engagements nationwide.

Here’s a horror film trope you haven’t seen before: a sexually transmitted haunting. After pretty young Jaye has a quick act of back-seat sex with her new boyfriend, he informs her that she will now be pursued by specters that only she can see, and that they will eventually kill her if she doesn’t pass them on to another person by having sex with them (remember “passing the runes” from Curse Of The Demon? Like that, but with humping). That’s pretty much all the explanation you get from this picture, but that can be overlooked because as far as the horror genre goes, this is a really good and inventive movie. The director keeps the pace a little slow at the start and nicely builds up the tension, the viciousness and single-mindedness with which the spirits come after the girl is pretty creepy, and her friends growing realization that there really IS something after her and she is not just crazy is well handled. Except for a brief scene at the beginning the picture isn’t really that bloody or gory, so the more timid horror fan can go and have a good scary time without getting grossed out. Great music too, although the sound design rips off Eraserhead from the very first frame.

After critical acclaim and a terrific opening weekend, the VOD release has been pushed back in favor of a 1000 screen expansion this weekend. Recommended for anyone looking for a uneasy time at the movies.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 09:01 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um - it was unique and appropriately weird, but I thought the movie was twenty minutes too long - looking at my watch is not a good thing in my book. great music score though

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: