Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Inherent Vice (2014)

Author Topic: Inherent Vice (2014)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-09-2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: An ex-girlfriend appears, then disappears. Wackiness ensues.

Imagine "The Big Lebowski" done as a noir set in the seventies with the drug use turned up to 11 and you basically have this.

It's pretty light material by Paul Thomas Anderson's standards (stressing PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON STANDARDS), but he does well with it and the result is lots of fun.

Will probably stick as my second favorite movie of his (behind "Magnolia").

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2015 09:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'fun'? ... barely... two and half hours felt like four... the only character I liked was Josh Brolin's character 'Bigfoot' - I'd rather endure a root canal than ever rewatch this movie.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2015 10:08 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie looked like a long bore. Glad I skipped it.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should rename this subforum "Film-Tech movie reviews and assumptions" to be inclusive of Terry!

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 07:43 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it!

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the film and have told many of my cinema friends to see It. What is sad about what we have left in the movie theatre world in San Franciso Is that this film has left most of our first run screens in the city. Only 1 is playing It in a dinky small screen set up. I remember in the old days when we had a ton of downtown movies places, many played second run and If you missed It you could see It again after a few weeks. This is not the case in many cities now. My friends will just have to wait for home DVD. The we hope the Castro Theatre will book a 70mm print showing in the future. I did like the movie and loved the neon letters used.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 11:41 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news the first SF Bay Area 70mm film showing of this movie will be on the big screen at the Castro Theatre on Mon/Tues March 23/24 2015. This was a 35mm to 70mm blow up but will look good at the Castro. Stop by and check It out. This has been the 3rd 70mm film playing at the Castro in the last few months. Lets hope they book more. Many of my friends have not seen It on DCP or 35mm so It will be treat for them. I only wish the old Castro had a better surround stereo system.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-07-2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Paul Thomas Anderson films a few scenes on film that spent 15 years rotting away in his garage, likes the way it looks all blurry and desaturated, decides to make the rest look just like it and then blows it up to 70mm, because, don't know, it's 70mm, so it must be all cool and dandy?

Sorry, that's just a stupid waste of 70mm film stock. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: