Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Author Topic: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander and the Very, Very, Very, Very Long Title is based on a 32 page picture book by Judith Viorst about a young boy who feels trampled by the world and feels that his personal misfortunes are neither recognised nor understood by his family. In a moment of sly retribution, he wishes the worst possible day on his parents and siblings in a desperate attempt to have them understand his plight.

I've not read the the book (other than a few sample pages courtesy of Amazon.com) but I imagine, as was the case with Where the Wild Things Are, that the book is a much more economic and elegant tale than the resulting feature film. The film appears to be riding the coat tails of the recent Diary of a Wimpy Kid films (which do a very good job of translating it's literary source to the silver screen) but where the Wimpy Kid films riff neatly on the familiar misfortunes and fears of our youth, the hijinks presented in the Alexander film are so outlandish as to be highly unlikely. These tremendously contrived events no doubt sat fine within the confines of a picture book but in the context of a hammy live action feature film they feel phony and forced. As a result, much of the proceedings are excruciating to watch as one unbelievable misfortune is piled upon the next.

Naturally, the film redeems itself with it's central theme that as long as you have your family, things can't be too bad, but there's no escaping the feeling throughout the movie that Diary of a Wimpy Kid is so much better than this.

6 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2014 08:20 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the book, and there's no way, if it must be made into a movie, that it should be any longer than 15 minutes. The same with Polar Exoress. I've read the book over and over, but the magic is in the words and in the imagination. Not every book needs to be made into a movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-16-2014 08:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Polar Express was too long. This movie didn't feel stretched to me, but then I haven't read the book either.

I wonder where it is written that movies have to be as long as they are? The Polar Express could have been a great 50-minute movie and there could have been way more shows per day. They could have given it a reduced ticket price, or paired it with some other shorter film as a double feature.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 04:57 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting point you make. But it's all about playing it safe obviously.

You could, for example, make a really great movie in an hour, but people will somehow expect to get at least one hour and a half of entertainment.

I do like the good old concept of the double features or putting one or two short films or cartoons in front of the main feature, but those concepts are unfortunately difficult to market. I'm afraid that even if you give them two short films and a double feature mounting up to an hour and a half to two hours in total, they will still feel somehow cheated...

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 05:55 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ But that's only because people are stupid.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2015 10:13 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
putting nearly ALL the jokes in the two and half minute trailer though was a dumb idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: