Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Author Topic: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part three in a trilogy of... four.

Following Hollywood’s tradition of squeezing the most out of the franchise by bringing you the sequel, the sequel to the sequel, the prequel, the remake, the reboot and "recentish”, the "splitquel"*.

* May be substituted by a more "robust" sounding word.

The room was packed to the brim. The recently overhauled reserved seating system selling some seats twice didn’t help... After some playing of musical chairs and by generally shuffling people around, the feature could be started with a delay of about 10 minutes.

I primarily remember Part 1 of the Hunger Games series from the terrible cinematography. The sickening use of shaky camera work was primarily abandoned last year and fortunately hasn't found its way into this year's movie. Maybe swapping out the director after the first movie did have its merits.

The picture is very sharp and detailed in 4K, a nice bonus if you want to sit close to the screen and hate blurry and/or pixelated images. Although entirely recorded using digital cameras, a distinctive "film look" remains. There’s still hope for the "all digital" workflow, not screwing entirely with the DNA of feature "films".

For those like me, who were just a little bit fed up with the Hunger Games itself, after they were the main attraction in the first two movies, the good news is: Besides some minor flashbacks, there are no Hunger Games in this Hunger Games movie.

In this year's sequel, we see how District 13 (a.k.a. the rebels) readies itself for the battle against the Capitol (a.k.a. the big bad Empire). We follow the transformation Katniss Everdeen from underground rebellion hero to become the female version of Che Guevara in this fictive, unfolding revolution.

So, it’s all filled to the brim with action then? Sorry, no can’t do... Because even after two movies have passed, we still have this love triangle going on and lots of more or less moving, overly emotional stuff, including repeating the same shot of the remains of District 12 at least twice. We need to drag this last book out over at least 5 hours of screen time, remember?

As expected, the movie ends on a cliffhanger, although it would be a greater cliff (or hanger?) if it would've ended about 5 minutes earlier, after the screen went dark (grey), but I guess that would've upset the audience too much.

This movie certainly has some good acting, although I would wish we could trade Liam Hemsworth for somebody less teddy bearish and bring some depth in this cardboard cut-out of a personality. But, Philip Seymour Hoffman will surely be missed. There was apparently still some unfinished footage before he sadly passed away, so it remains to be seen if they find an elegant solution for this in the last part.

Overall, this might not be a great movie, but it’s good entertainment. The bold message this series tries to convey mostly falls flat due to the unsophisticated delivery, but it certainly is a good companion to popcorn. Also, this thing is highly popular, it might just save the year for many of you.

It also proves once again that you can have blockbuster openings outside of blockbuster seasons.

|  IP: Logged

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put. Sounds like my exact experinece seeing it with my wife except for the reserve seating ordeal. Speaking of that reserved seating in a movie theater is just retarded.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-25-2014 11:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
So, it’s all filled to the brim with action then? Sorry, no can’t do... Because even after two movies have passed, we still have this love triangle going on and lots of more or less moving, overly emotional stuff, including repeating the same shot of the remains of District 12 at least twice.
You do realize this movie is being marketed towards the ladies, right?
[Razz]

In theory at least, ladies love kissy smoochie relational stuff in stories. Action, explosions, etc.? Not so much.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never seen any of the Hunger Games movies, but some friends of ours had always raved about them, so over the last two Sundays we watched the first 2 films in preparation for this one.

I found myself enjoying the movies more than I thought I would, considering I'm not usually a fan of dystopian stories.

This is an OK movie but as other reviewers have stated, it feels stretched-out. I do enjoy Donald Sutherland doing his usual creepy-old-bad-guy persona...he would have made a good Star Wars villain.

In fact this movie has a lot of parallels to Star Wars. The whole "rebel alliance" thing...the evil leader who plots against the underlings...one hero leading the charge to blow up the Death Star, I mean destroy the Capitol...it all feels done before.

That said, the movie has a few good action scenes and the ending is a real good cliffhanger climax, but it's sort of unsatisfying. Also I don't understand why they don't put "To Be Continued..." at the end of these Part 1 movies.

I can see doing the two-movie thing if the source story is a long involved narrative like the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings movies, but this....well, they could have made one great movie (and the conclusion could indeed be great) but I have a feeling the next one is going to be about a half-hour of 'set-up' followed by two hours of battle scenes. And the tag line will be something like "The final battle is not a game."

You just know that every movie based on a book is now going to be run through the "Can we tell this story in two parts?" filter. I can see the remake of Jaws in my mind. Part One will be all about how Mrs. Brody falls in love with Hooper, the shark expert and will have a sad ending when he goes away with Quint and Chief Brody to catch the shark. Then Part Two will be "the battle to the end" where the big question won't be whether they kill the shark, but which of the two men Mrs. Brody loves will survive.

But anyway....since this is only half a movie I'll give it three half stars. We'll see if Part Two can earn the other half.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2014 08:46 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donald would have made an excellent Star Wars villian!

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarod Reddig
reserved seating in a movie theater is just retarded.
What is so wrong with reserved seating in a movie theater?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-27-2014 09:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because if I walk into a theater and see a row full of crying babies or noisy teens, I want to be able to sit far away from them rather than being possibly forced to sit nearby or in the same row with them. (There are other reasons too but this is the best one.)

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Mike.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 03:26 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Because if I walk into a theater and see a row full of crying babies or noisy teens, I want to be able to sit far away from them rather than being possibly forced to sit nearby or in the same row with them. (There are other reasons too but this is the best one.)

I guess I never thought about that Mike, I have been to a lot of reserved seat movies and I have never had a problem, although most of the movies I watch are usually in the evening and I don't really watch any movies where a crying baby would be in the theater.

I still think the pros outweigh the cons in my opion, especially for a heavily anticipated movie.

Any other reasons against reserved seating?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reserved seating is fine like theatres did with Road Show movies such as THE SOUND OF MUSIC, BEN-HUR, MY FAIR LADY and so many others but when a theatre usher picks a seat for you in a almost empty auditorium and make you sit to the side of the auditorium right next to some one when there are so many great seats in the centre, just sucks! They do this at the TItan XC house at Consolidated's Ward 16 theatres here in Honolulu and although they were the only house with Dolby Atmos, I have avoided that theatre like the plague.

-Claude

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 07:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been multiple topics about the pros and cons of reserved seating.

While I'm not entirely against it, the implementation is often awkward.

The biggest cons, even if it's done "right":
- It makes the movie-going experience less spontaneous.
- You cannot easily change your seats after you realized your choice actually sucks, for whatever reason.
- Some see their reserved seats as a license to arrive late. While latecomers in a non-reserved setting will usually choose seats that are easily accessible, in a reserved setting they usually disturb a whole bunch of other people to get to their seats.

The biggest pros:
- If you know the auditorium layout, you can choose your optimum seats and have some varying level of guarantee you will also be getting those seats.
- You don't have to come early to be able to pick a good seat.

Now, my personal rants:
- Reserved seating is often just another way to artificially inflate ticket prices with bullshit nobody ever asked for. Reserved seating should always be a complimentary service, not something you need to pay for.
- If you do have reserved seating, let people know you actually have it...
- If you do have reserved seating, then enforce it. All too often theaters leave it to the patrons to fight it out.
- Systems where you can choose your row, but not the actual seat in your row are amongst the most awkward semi-reserved seating systems out there.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see where a 'semi reserved' thing where you pick out your row could lead to problems. Mainly because groups of people might leave one or two seats between groups, so when other larger groups come in they either have to split apart, or make whole bunches of people change seats. And of course that could lead to fistfights and gunfire, these days.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-29-2014 11:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have visited a few reserved seat theaters, and can actually see some benefit to the system, I still prefer the good old first come first serve model.

Like what Mike said: you don't know who will be sitting next to you in a theater. In a reserved seated theater you're stuck sitting next to them. They could be doing various distracting things, some of which will not get them removed from the theater. They could be farting or just smell like a foot. You'll never know.

The only reserved seating system worth a damn at all is the kind where you can pick your specific seat in advance via a visual chart/map on the theater's web site. If the theater can't get such a system set up then they have zero business doing reserved seating.

That row crap is not an acceptable option. Anyone running a theater where they just assign you a seat rather than a seat of your choice deserves to be shot in the dick (or at least cursed out severely, but I like that Key & Peele comedy rap tune).

Even when you can pick your own seat sometimes the choice doesn't work out so great. Basically you will have needed to visit the theater before and know from prior experience which seats are best.

Can anyone say thread drift? I was kind of interested in knowing how good or lame the Atmos mix was for THG:MJ-Pt1. But it sounds like I might be better off just waiting for the Blu-ray.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-30-2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: LF channel had a slight buzz
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A secret district plots a revolution against reserved auditorium seating. Wackiness ensues.

My problem with the second movie was that they basically repeated the first movie but with a plot twiest to move the four-movie trilogy along.

The third movie is what I was looking for in the second movie. It may not be action packed, but it does its job every bit as well as the first movie.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 03:40 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
THE PLOT: A secret district plots a revolution against reserved auditorium seating. Wackiness ensues.
Finally, the movie starts to make sense to me now, thank you [Wink]

quote: Bobby Henderson
Can anyone say thread drift? I was kind of interested in knowing how good or lame the Atmos mix was for THG:MJ-Pt1. But it sounds like I might be better off just waiting for the Blu-ray.
I've seen/heard it in Atmos. In my humble opinion, the mix isn't bad but also not really noteworthy. Maybe it's also not the kind of movie where you should expect a very impressive sound mix (in whatever format). The fight and bombing scenes give the overhead speakers a little workout, but otherwise the mix stays heavy on the front channels. There are better mixes out there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: