Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Interstellar (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Interstellar
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
United Artists Colorado Center Stadium 9 IMAX (15/70)
11/5/14 7pm

I liked it but didn't love it. Lots of cool stuff. Lots of interesting stuff. But dramatically and emotionally it should have been stronger. I wasn't ever really engaged the way I was in The Dark Knight. It reminded me a lot of Inception, though liked Interstellar more.

I loved seeing it in 70MM. The image was beautifully detailed and as steady as any digital presentation. I've never had a problem with aspect ratio changes - I generally find them to be effective, but I found myself not noticing every change during Interstellar.

Overall, I was very happy with the audio. It went from booming to dead silent and I never had trouble understanding dialog.

I sat in the center on the fourth row.

I'm picky, but there are others pickier than me who might find more faults with the Colorado Center's presentation. But from comments I overheard afterwards, others in the crowd seemed very happy with the picture and audio as well. (They also seemed to like the film more than me.)

HOWEVER, there were problems. Below is what I submitted at http://www.interstellarmovie.com/quality.

quote:
Picture/ Other:
Way too much ambient light on the screen from exit lighting. Distracted terribly in dark scenes, incl. space. Please have them mask it. Looked great otherwise - thanks for offering hi-res film in CO.

quote:
Audio/ Other:
Sound was great except for a semi-regular popping sound. Please have them address this.

The ambient light issue seemed new. I do not remember noticing that at my last three visits (TDK, Avatar, TDKR). And can anyone explain a likely cause for the popping?

I will let you know what Christopher says when he gets back to me about my feedback.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-06-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to see INTERSELLAR this weekend but there are only three formats I can see it in here in Honolulu. 35mm at a Consolidated theatre, Digital IMAX or RPX in 2K with Dolby Atmos or in 4K digital at the Dole Cannery Regal Theatre.

Picture quality is more important to me than sound and I probably will see it in 4K digital. Is there a big difference between 35mm film and digital 4K with INTERSTELLAR?

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-06-2014 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff:
The ambient lighting will not change, it's Regal policy. They're trying to avoid being sued by people falling all over themselves and blaming the lack of light. The presentation quality is secondary. The giant silver screen with the awful hot spot will also not be fixed.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 01:32 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
I loved seeing it in 70MM. The image was beautifully detailed and as steady as any digital presentation. I've never had a problem with aspect ratio changes - I generally find them to be effective, but I found myself not noticing every change during Interstellar.
Did you get the eerie feeling that this might just be the last time you will ever see 15/70?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2014 01:04 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater: Studio Movie Grill Dallas
Auditorium: 8
Format 70/5

Presentation issues: Absolutely none. Not a speck of dirt. Picture was extremely bright. Previews were in Digital, so there was a good back-to-back comparison. Film was noticeably brighter and more pleasant to the eye. Perfectly smooth transition from digital previews/theater snipes to 70mm presentation.

Sound was awesome. Dialogue was clear. Loud scenes were at the perfect point between loud and too loud. The mix was good and I'm sure the amps were getting a work out. No distortion in the sound was detectable.

The acting was OK, but stiff in places. Overall the plot was predictable. Kind of 2001 meets Contact meets The Black Hole.

That being said this movie is 169 minutes of eye candy. Visually, one of the most remarkable movies I've seen in a while.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-10-2014 10:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a very good movie. And the overly loud harsh sound at the local Regal IMAX did not help (and I'm the guy who likes this type of movie played LOUD). I wish I'd seen it in a "regular" theater. That might have made the movie barely passable for me.

Overall I think it's an ambitious fail.

Oh yeah this IMAX has far too much light from the front side wall light sconces spilling on the screen. A baffle on the screen side of the front sconces would mostly solve the problem and not create a safety hazard.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-14-2014 09:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening #1
Cinema: LOOK Cinemas, Dallas
Screen: #1, Evolution
Format: 5-perf 70mm, Datasat Digital Sound
Presentation Quality
-----Projection: Flawless
-----Sound: Good, but could have been louder
Screening #2
Cinema: Bullock History of Texas Museum IMAX, Austin
Format: 15-perf 70mm, True IMAX
Presentation Quality
-----Projection: Flawless
-----Sound: Dymamic but with over-driven sub-bass
Rating: 3 stars out of 4

This review is about a week late. Didn't have enough time to write/post it during this past weekend.

I really wanted to like Interstellar more, and I'm kind of reaching to give it 3 stars instead of 2.5 or 2.75. 70mm was the big selling point for me not only to see it in the theater, but drive a considerable distance to see it in 70mm equipped theaters. Sadly, this movie may be one of the last movies to be commercially shown in 70mm -a morbid selling point. If Interstellar had been a DCP-only release there's a good chance I might have just waited to see it on Blu-ray.

Anyone interested in this movie already knows the basic story premise. The movie sort of gets going in fits and starts, but gets bogged down at times by lengthy dialog and forced melodrama. Anne Hathaway's character hits crew members with a speech about trusting love that came totally out of nowhere and still makes no sense to me after seeing it twice. There's other things that don't make sense or are flat out implausible. You basically have to unplug your brain and simply enjoy the spectacle.

Christopher Nolan deserves praise for pushing 15/70mm film and 5/70mm film. How many movie releases have done 15/70mm and 5/70mm in the original release? I can't think of any others.

While Interstellar provided at least some hype to 70mm, the movie's cinematography (by Hoyte Van Hoytema) could have been better. That's unfortunate considering this movie is supposed to hype spectacle and 70mm film. When I think of material best to hype 70mm I think of bright footage with deeply saturated color, tack sharp detail and very fine grain. Nolan muted the color palette even in settings where it didn't need to be greatly muted. A lot of sets were lit in a dark, depressing manner. I can understand the need to shoot many of the IMAX scenes with very shallow depth of field (opening the aperture to get in as much light as possible). I don't think they needed to do that with 35mm. Deeper focus might have prevented what I feel are some goofs that occurred with the 'scope footage. There's one scene of Cooper reacting to 20 years worth of video messages. It's meant to be a big emotional scene, but I was distracted by bad it looked.

Plenty has been said about the sound mix, mainly to do with dialog obscured by other sounds or the music score. The mix had some good qualities, but we more often tend to notice things that are wrong rather than right with a sound mix.

Random Observations:

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Hans Zimmer's score was overbearing at times. The pipe organ stuff had me thinking about the end of Akira. Not many memorable melodies either. I liked the music that was on the 4th movie trailer, which turned out to be an instrumental called "Final Frontier" by Thomas Bergersen. Too bad that wasn't in the movie.

The changeover at Reel 8A sounded a bit like a jump cut in the 5/70 print. The same spot of the movie sounded fine in IMAX, but there might not have been at a reel change at that point of the movie on the IMAX print.

The end credits were composed in a different way in the IMAX version, using the entire frame. The credits appeared sharper than they did in 5/70. This is despite the fact the 5/70 setup at LOOK was focused properly. BTW, I have seen a lot soft/crappy looking end credit runs in 2K and 4K. I suspect some odd standards of practice at work in post production. With certain digital shows I also suspect people farting with the focus knob to hide the pixel grid (it's either that or they have a soft projection lens).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-14-2014 04:53 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aspect ratio changes? I've seen the 70mm version and did not see any changes... what have I missed?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-14-2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no aspect ratio changes in either the standard DCP release or the 35mm and 5/70mm releases. There are aspect ratio changes in both the Digital and 70mm IMAX releases. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises had the same thing going.

Personally, I hate those switches. In my opinion, a movie should be in exactly ONE aspect ratio and the screen should be properly masked to exactly match that aspect ratio.

I've seen the movie about 2.5 times now and although it's not bad, most things said about it are probably true, it's most probably not Nolan's strongest movie. It's a rather predictable story with some rather gaping plot holes, questionable science, a boring, unbelievable and overly melodramatic love story and a weak sound mix.

The visuals are mostly great, but are lacking in vibrancy. I liked how they made gravimetric lensing look believable for once. Going trough a worm-hole without big lens flares and space tunnelly stuff was a good thing for once.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Hans Zimmer's score was overbearing at times. The pipe organ stuff had me thinking about the end of Akira. Not many memorable melodies either. I liked the music that was on the 4th movie trailer, which turned out to be an instrumental called "Final Frontier" by Thomas Bergersen. Too bad that wasn't in the movie.
With Nolan it's always Two Steps From Hell in the trailers and Hans Zimmer in the end result. Thomas Bergersen & co. have been in a lot of trailers, but their music is just a bit too bombastic for broad use in features. Then again, I hate the modern trend not to put the actual score in the final trailers...

For me, it was rather hard to connect with Hans Zimmer's score on this one. A failed attempt to do away the bombastic strings and deep notes of the previous Nolan collaborations. In some ways this score reminded me too much of the original soundtrack of Moon (2009) by Clint Mansell. The heavier parts felt like going to church...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-14-2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok.

It makes sense in Imax IMHO. The screen is not scope and what would have you done? The film has IMAX scenes, so that has to stay full screen. Would have you zoomed the scope scenes? Some pan and scan maybe? [Smile]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2014 05:53 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, do the aspect ratio changes bug you in films like The Horse Whisperer, Galaxy Quest, Superman, and The Road Warrior?

I'm just curious - I certainly understand the objection. I just don't feel it myself.

I had hoped to see Interstellar in 5 perf/ 70MM in Minnesota while on business, but Frontier screwed up and we were 2 hours late...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The aspect ratio in Horse Whisperer was stupid and had no point. It didn't happen at the city/country change. It happened literally at the reel change.

The aspect ratio in Galaxy Quest worked perfectly because it kept getting bigger.

The only movie I can think of where the aspect ratio changing where it got SMALLER that worked was Brainstorm. However in all fairness it's moreso the HEIGHT of the image changing that causes distractions.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 12:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones[/quote
Marcel, do the aspect ratio changes bug you in films like The Horse Whisperer, Galaxy Quest, Superman, and The Road Warrior?
You can add The Grand Budapest Hotel to that list, too. What is particularly annoying is that the entire movie is in 1.37 apart from two very brief bookend scenes totaling 2-3 minutes, which are letterboxed 'scope. The entire DCP is in a 1.85 container, meaning that no shot in the entire movie fills the entire screen area as masked.

As for Interstellar as a movie, Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography pulled off some memorable visuals which more than justified the large format film. I remember thinking after Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy that he could well be the next Roger Deakins or John Alonzo, and this movie bore that hunch out. He can light a medium long shot in a way that has you picking the character out in the frame and concentrating on him/her, and not many cinematographers can do that.

The problem is that it that the movie has does not have much of a story (apart from one that preaches a political message that I'd have to violate the forum rules to give my thoughts on), and the performance of the leads and the direction are very competent, but in ten years' time I won't be remembering this movie for anything apart from the much-hyped release on film.

Furthermore, having seen the AFI previews of Selma and American Sniper earlier this week, they both blow this pic to smithereens for script, acting and direction (Selma, in particular, was a very, very strong feature directing debut - she can pace big crowd scenes and tension/confrontation scenes between two or three characters, and there are many Hollywood directors with 10-15 features under their belt who have trouble doing both). I suspect that when they're released, Interstellar will quickly be forgotten except by film technology enthusiasts.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another movie with multiple aspect ratio changes was More American Graffiti. At least they made sense in that movie.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-16-2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I do have to agree with Brad. Probably due to the simple fact how our vision works, the change in height is far more visible and distracting than the change in width. And that's what happening in IMAX. Every time you switch back from the massive (overly high) IMAX frame to the cramped (at least in those presentations) scope frame, it's like a message: You can go to sleep now, everything that follows now is sub-par and not worthy of expensive 65mm film.

The Horse Whisperer is a perfect example of a movie where it bugged the hell out of me... because, what's the point? I've almost forgotten about Galaxy Quest, but that one I can forgive. It was used as some kind of gimmick in an already wacky movie. I don't know what Superman movie you're referring to, the "original" one back from 1978? I may need to refresh my memory on that one. And The Road Warrior, as far as I remember, only had one change. It began with a piece of news coverage, which would not be shot at an extreme wide angle. Such things I can gladly forgive. A more recent example is The Wolf of Wall Street, which opens with an advertorial video shot in something close to 1.77.

quote: Leo Enticknap
You can add The Grand Budapest Hotel to that list, too. What is particularly annoying is that the entire movie is in 1.37 apart from two very brief bookend scenes totaling 2-3 minutes, which are letterboxed 'scope. The entire DCP is in a 1.85 container, meaning that no shot in the entire movie fills the entire screen area as masked.
Wes Anderson sure is a strange fellow. His previous movie was shot in 16mm or post-processed to something made to look like 16mm none the less. Still, this aspect ratio switcheroo being some kind of weirdo artistic choice didn't really bug me as much as it does in other movies, probably because it's part of the concept of being weird and non-standard. I was about the only one on the floor laughing when I first saw that movie, the weirdness doesn't seem to work equally effective on all sheeple.

Another one for the list is Life of Pi. The DCP is in flat and most of the movie is too. But there are scenes in there, letter boxed in scope and even 2.0 or pillar boxed to 1.33. This movie is also pushing for 3D, making the changes even more evident. The aspect ratio changes in this movie really freaked me out.

My conception is that the presentation itself should distract as little as possible from the actual movie. The primary purpose is still to convey a story from the big screen to the viewer. I don't see just any added gadgetry as an automatic improvement, technology should be used to increase immersion (that word again), and not to create additional distractions.

So, yeah, I do still think a movie should just choose the most appropriate aspect ratio, one that best matches the visuals of the movie, works within the given budget and just stick with that from the beginning to the very end. Stuff like news footage might be forgiven, but this usually only lasts a few seconds. The same for artistic weirdness, although this trick gets old really fast, so please don't overuse it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: