Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Author Topic: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This rotten town. It soils everyone."

The last line in the movie sums it up.

Sin City 2 isn't as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. I really like the entire "hardboiled" genre, and nothing is as hardboiled as Sin City.

I have read some other reviews stating that this movie has lost its originality since many others (300, etc) have now done the animated comic book look. Which is of course to some degree true, but it doesn't take anything away from the story and the execution. (I guess there's a pun in there somewhere.)

My only negative comment would be that they didn't do as much with the crooked homicide detective as they could have. It would have been interesting if he met Marv, for example.

To quote Lincoln, "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."

Indeed.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 05:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found myself mostly bored with the movie. What turned me off was the constant narration. The Joseph Gordon Levitt story was the only one I really found interesting.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 06:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the many negative reviews by most critics and bad mouth comments by many people, I wanted to see the movie in a theatre for the excellent image and 3-D. The visual image of the movie was stunning and the native 3-D photography was fantastic but imagine my surprise when I found myself enjoying the movie very much. I thought the the original was great and so was S.C.:A DAME TO KILL FOR.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 11:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
total style over substance - the story felt jumbled and edited poorly.

even filmed in 3D - the dimensionality ranged from great to being pointless.

the 7.1 sound was great.

I only really liked the Josh Brolin story.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it Regal Atlantic Station (RPX , Atmos):
Didn't bother with the 3D showing. Went to the 2D. Visually, it doesn't look any better than the first movie. I went a few days after release and place was empty. The POwers Boothe storylines were pretty good. I loved Sin City, the first one. But since then, Frank Miller's horrible The Spirit must have taken the sheen off of this genre of moves. Even though the sequel was just OK, it is still far better than movies like The Spirit.

While Eva Green had the look, her acting didn't convey enough of the seduction one might expect from that character, her body being exposed aside.

The powers Boothe storylines(especially the one with Joseph Gordon lewitt) was the only one that stood up the first movie's storylines quality.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the movie. Great 3-D but the use of B&W with a little color was not used enough, like in the strip club, they needed to light up the booze bottles in a blue or green tint in the background. Saw It in San Louis Obispo CA's great Fremont Theatre. Picture looked great on the super large semi curved screen with the sound top notch. The problem was they are running this big theatre as a one man operation. The guy is selling tickets while he sells drinks then he starts the video projector also. The huge classic neon marquee was dark even at 9 PM on a Sunday night. He told me they only turn on the weekends. I told him It was the weekend Sunday so he turned It on for me for about 10 minutes and about a third was not working. Same with the great blue neon on the ceiling, can't be turned on he says because it arcs and makes a buzz sound. Seems like there is a big problem with the owner of the building and the renters 'The Movie Experience' as who maintains the building. A nice big single screen theatre going down hill. Go see Sin City 2 in 3-D you will enjoy It.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2014 02:23 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,
Yes, the Fremont in SLO is a wonderful old theatre that needs some TLC. Since we live and work here in SLO we will pass along your comments to the proper folks in the hopes of getting some of these issues resolved.
Next time your in SLO give me a call and I can give you a tour of our plant.
Clint

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2014 10:28 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Clint for the note. The Fremont is such a great theatre, the screen and sound are great. I know It takes money to keep the neon going, It may be time for the owners or renters to play other things besides movies in the large theatre from time to time. Charge a extra fee the upgrades. With all the students in town I'd think they would love the place for special events, music shows, comedy nights ect. I'll give a call. Do you know anything about what is going on at the Fox Theatre in Paso Robles CA? It's so nice you still have a open drive Inn in town. The place was sold out a few weeks ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: