Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Into the Storm (2014) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Into the Storm (2014)
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thing finally hit the streets here in Europe and I must say, it's probably one of the worst movies of the year.

How this thing even got an 6.3 on IMDB is beyond me, it's probably a clear indication that those ratings are no longer trustworthy. Buying good ratings seems to be the new form of "guerrilla marketing".

The whole thing feels like a low budget copycat of Twister (1996) made by The Asylum, the direct-to-video production company known for gems like Titanic II and Mercenaries.

The systemic plot that falls from one obvious situation into the other, glued together with a dreadful love story and truckloads of fake emotion. The horrible CGI. The awkward "lost footage" angle... Combine this with a lack of flying cows and this movie makes Twister look like a masterpiece.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 09:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
How this thing even got an 6.3 on IMDB is beyond me, it's probably a clear indication that those ratings are no longer trustworthy. Buying good ratings seems to be the new form of "guerrilla marketing".

This is not an indication of tampering or "buying" the IMDB ratings as much as it is an indication of the dumbing-down of the American public. If it doesn't have bigger and wilder explosions and more whiz-bang special effects and faster and faster CHASES of one kind or another, they are not interested. Multi-layered themes and subplots? Nuance (HA)? If a plot doesn't go from point A to point B in a straight line (and FAST), they are not interested. They have the attention span of a 5 year old and the intellectual acuity of a rhododendron. It's no wonder they think this kind of crap is good and quality is boring. Even in an English language film, if there is a discussion where the characters are speaking a foreign language and subtitles are used, if that scene lasts more than a minute or two, they are lost. Foreign language films? Forget about it. They can't read. And it doesn't seem to bother anyone that in ALL the important disciplines -- math, science and reading -- the good ole US of A ranks 21st....behind Slovenia, Trinidad, Armenia.

No, they don't need to buy IMDB ratings, they just need to get the formula right to appeal to our bright, younger generation --their prime demographic. They just need sexy flash and no substance and there you've got your 6.3....easy.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2014 11:21 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
No, they don't need to buy IMDB ratings, they just need to get the formula right to appeal to our bright, younger generation --their prime demographic. They just need sexy flash and no substance and there you've got your 6.3....easy.
Have you seen it? It wasn't that BAD of a movie. I have seen much worse.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multi-layered themes and subplots?
You must not have seen any recent super-hero movies. Any Marvel movie has about 4 stories going on at the same time. Any Batman movie totally has the multi-layered thing going on.

As for this movie -- I'm looking forward to seeing it just for what it is -- an action movie with a dynamic soundtrack. It's summer escapism and it doesn't pretend to be anything more. The "thinking" movies will be coming along this fall.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, no, I didn't see it, and maybe I am overstating, but the premise was that lots of really bad movies can and do get good IMDB ratings, or at least higher than what you would think and I don't believe that's because they are manipulated. It's just we can like some mediocre movies...which is fine, as long as the better films still get a fair shake.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, the movie is not a very good movie. But it is fun, and it is entertaining, it is incredibly stupid with some bad acting. I would give it a look if I were you.

And just like Mike said, it is escapism and it doesn't pretend to be anything more.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Just would like to see more films geared to an audience other than just the 12 to 25yr olds.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 09:59 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, no, I didn't see it, and maybe I am overstating, but the premise was that lots of really bad movies can and do get good IMDB ratings, or at least higher than what you would think and I don't believe that's because they are manipulated. It's just we can like some mediocre movies...which is fine, as long as the better films still get a fair shake.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, I would say that until a year or three ago, those IMDB ratings generally reflected my opinions about a movie. But nowadays, I find that those ratings are generally just bogus, at least for me. So either the dumbed-down populace has found their way to the vote button, or something other is going on.

Keep in mind that IMDB's ratings are based on some secret magic foo. Their, as they claim, weighted average uses metrics that nobody knows. They say they won't tell you, because else people will game the system...

Well, IMDB is a subsidiary of Amazon. Amazon sells content on a large scale, both physical and as subscription and download service. They also sell advertising. A good rating on IMDB will have their effects on the box office, just like reviews will do. IMDB does therefore has a conflict of interest, there is no reason to trust them.

quote: Mike Blakesley
As for this movie -- I'm looking forward to seeing it just for what it is -- an action movie with a dynamic soundtrack. It's summer escapism and it doesn't pretend to be anything more. The "thinking" movies will be coming along this fall.
Personally, I like many of those GOOD action movies just as much as those with the more seasoned kind of story. But the less story there is, the more you need to like and care for the characters on-screen to keep it working. There's a reason why, for example, Die Hard works and is among my favorite popcorn movies of all time. It's not like that movie has such a compelling, complex and multi-layered plot, it's just a damn good and entertaining action movie.

Twister also worked pretty well as a movie. Yeah, it was never a masterpiece and it was full of "Hollywood Science" and other stupid inconsistencies, but it's still fun to watch once in a while. It also has a good pace and really doesn't get boring.
This movie is exactly the opposite. First of all, the whole plot and setting is just a direct Twister ripoff, the differences are almost in the detail. In essence, you could call it a remake, a bad remake, but nonetheless a remake. But, it still feels like they first came up with the tornado destruction scenes and figured out how to glue those together later. There is no chemistry between the main characters and the stuff between the action scene's is just sooo cheesy and boring, it makes the rest hardly bearable.

And for what it's worth... I didn't see this in Atmos, but in 7.1. You probably know the trailer, it sounds great in Atmos and 7.1. Unfortunately, the audio in the trailer must have been made by another production team than the mix of the movie itself... It's not that the mix is really bad, but it doesn't really stand out, it nowhere comes close to the effect that's been achieved in the trailer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2014 11:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched this today. I enjoyed the hell out of it -- but as has been noted, you totally have to check your brains at the door. I can see a hurricane tearing up an airliner, for example, but picking up a dozen of them at the same time and hurling them around the sky seemed a little over the top. The filmmakers got carried away with the CGI.

Still, as a thrill ride this was probably the best one of the summer. It kind of hearkened back to the old disaster movies, except the best of those ("Towering Inferno" comes to mind) always took time off from the thrills for character development. None of that here -- the dialogue scenes (badly acted, mostly) are just bridges from one storm scene to the next.

I thought the sound mix was good. About what was expected, at least.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't release this in 3-D. Those storm scenes could have been pretty cool with stuff flying at you.

As an action movie, it was great, but it suffered from bad writing and bad acting, so it gets 3.5 out of 5 stars for me. If they'd had some real good actors and decent writing, it could have been a great movie.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 11:50 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was so stupid in a somewhat entertaining kind of way - the special effects ranged from good, to very good, to almost excellent. But yes, the acting and script were cringe inducing... this would ripe for a Riff-Trax 'riff'

"...cow!"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-07-2014 10:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two "Airplane"-type comedy parody inspirations during the film:

1. During the scene where the airplanes are getting tossed around by the storm, they could cut to a scene of flight attendants calmly serving beverages inside the planes;

and

2. When Pete sails up into the "eye" of the hurricane, before he starts to fall they could have had the roof blow off the vehicle, and then have his head stay up at the top, Looney-Tunes style while his neck got longer and longer.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2014 12:12 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
the special effects ranged from good, to very good, to almost excellent.
I also thought the special effects were better than usual. From the trailer I wasn't so sure but after seeing the movie, I was like "wow" those effects were pretty good.

quote:
it suffered from bad writing and bad acting,
yeah but that is what made it work so well. It was horrible acting and writing after you get that out of way, it is one fun ride.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-08-2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
There are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, I would say that until a year or three ago, those IMDB ratings generally reflected my opinions about a movie. But nowadays, I find that those ratings are generally just bogus, at least for me. So either the dumbed-down populace has found their way to the vote button, or something other is going on.
It goes right along the same lines of the audience ratings I see at Rotten Tomatoes' web site. Take a movie that got drubbed by the critics, such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It earned only 19% on the Tomato Meter, but scored 59% on the audience poll. Sometimes audiences and critics are mostly in agreement, like with Guardians of the Galaxy (92% Tomato Meter score, 95% audience score). In the case of Into the Storm, it had a 21% Tomato Meter score yet 50% of audiences liked it. It's pretty rare for a movie to score better with critics than audiences. Lucy got a 66% score on the Tomato Meter, but only 48% of audience members liked it.

Generally speaking, critics are not very hesitant about picking apart a movie while theater customers are more willing to look past the flaws and like it anyway. I also think there's a factor involved where customers may be embarrassed to admit they wasted money on a bad movie. Whenever I hear someone talking about a movie they saw over the weekend and they say something like, "it was okay," the comment probably really means the movie was dog shit.

Prominent film critics are usually very knowledgeable movie buffs who know enough film history and have seen enough movies to tell when a bad movie is ripping off things from other movies and just doing things poorly. A lot of casual movie goers, particularly the younger ones, don't know any better. So those movie goers are far more likely to enjoy something that would make a critic want to pour salt onto his eye balls.

A lot of casual movie goers will also pop off the comment, "I don't listen to the critics." I don't listen to just one critic's opinion. But I don't like wasting money on bad movies either, and the cost of going to the movies isn't exactly cheap these days. So I'll look for a consensus at sites like Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic. If a movie scores pretty low at those sites I'll know it's probably a good idea to at least avoid that movie in first run release.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I can see a hurricane tearing up an airliner, for example, but picking up a dozen of them at the same time and hurling them around the sky seemed a little over the top. The filmmakers got carried away with the CGI.
Wind is an extremely powerful thing. In real life, a severe tornado (EF-4 to EF-5 range) could pick up jumbo jets with ease. They might not get picked up in one piece though; I would expect a tornado to tear off the wings and then demolish them with all the flying debris. The EF-5 tornado that hit Moore, OK a year ago took out an old truss bridge on the Canadian River next to I-44, and the tornado hadn't reached full EF-5 strength at that point.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-08-2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Prominent film critics are usually very knowledgeable movie buffs who know enough film history and have seen enough movies to tell when a bad movie is ripping off things from other movies and just doing things poorly. A lot of casual movie goers, particularly the younger ones, don't know any better. So those movie goers are far more likely to enjoy something that would make a critic want to pour salt onto his eye balls.
Right ... that was what I liked best about Roger Ebert. About this movie, he would have said something like "Sure, the acting and story we're terrible, but that's not why you want to see this movie. You want to see tornadoes busting stuff up, and that you get in spades."

quote: Bobby Henderson
a severe tornado (EF-4 to EF-5 range) could pick up jumbo jets with ease. They might not get picked up in one piece though; I would expect a tornado to tear off the wings and then demolish them with all the flying debris.
That's what I was getting at with my comment. The movie also shows semi-trucks with trailers being picked up whole, when in real life those box-type trailers would probably blow apart before they ever left the ground. But...it makes for spectacular movie viewing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-08-2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A year or two ago I saw weather coverage of a moderate, EF-2 to EF-3 level tornado hitting the outskirts of Dallas-Fort Worth. It passed over a trucking company next to an Interstate (I-35W I think). It sucked at least a dozen semi truck trailers high into the sky, and those trailers were on the peripheral edge of the funnel, they didn't get hit directly. That might have blown them apart.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: