Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Magic in the Moonlight (2014)

Author Topic: Magic in the Moonlight (2014)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-17-2014 03:30 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 10
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A magician attempts to expose a fraud. Wackiness ensues.

As Woody Allen movies go, it's brain-dead fluff. As romantic comedies go, it's adorable brain-dead fluff. Like all recent Allen movies, it's full of beautiful locations. But the plot is light at best and I don't think either lead role was cast very well.

Still probably the romantic comedy of the year, or at least the only one I'LL see this year.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 11:07 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a rare "When in Rome/What the hell is this, Fuck it, why not" Feature for me.

Cinemark on the Plaza, Kansas City MO.
Barco DLP/THX
I really like this theater, but it's just over an hour from home. Watched The Giver and this movie, with no background knowledge of it whatsoever, just because it wasn't showing local and it kinda justifies my trip in my mind.

ANYWAYSSS I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed the film overall, though it was a bit slow in some spots and I just had a hard time believing he so readily hopped on board the telepathy train and there was no real connection between Firth and Stone. I didn't even notice that "love" was happening until it was shoved down my throat and it was kinda wince worthy.

I'm easily satisfied though and got in a good number of laughs. 7/10

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 05:29 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stanley (Colin Firth), a well renowned magician, is sent on a debunking mission to expose spiritualist Sophie (Emma Stone) as a fraud. As is the norm for these kinds of things a rocky romance reluctantly blossoms between the pair predictably precipitating the drama and comedy for the story. Of course Firth is old enough to be Stone's father but add a little Just For Men and, voila, problem solved.

Written and directed by Woody Allen, the film is a frivolous but interesting discussion on open versus closed minds; hard rationality versus the fantastic; and the complex relationship between science, philosophy and religion. Though the film sways back and forth between the opposing viewpoints it ultimately remains an agnostic observer, recognising that different people gain sustenance from different beliefs and that truth is, in some ways, secondary to this.

Allen's writing and direction is simple, neat and concise, as are the performances delivered by his cast which also features Marcia Gay Harden. With a neat twist in the plot which is deftly presented, Magic in the Moonlight is pleasant, mildly thought provoking entertainment.

7 out of 10

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 11:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was bottom barrel Allen, while the acting from Colin Firth was fun to watch him being a complete arrogant ass; the script was banal, the story predictable

color me unimpressed.

C

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 times during some of the outdoor scenes the sunlight came back into the camera, very distorted. I can't believe old Woody let this happen. They needed to re shoot or move the angle of the camera. At least he is using wide screen these days. I enjoyed the movie and have told many of my old friends to go out and see It on the big screen.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 02:35 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanted to see this movie and I finally had a chance to watch it on a Red Box rental. Overall an OK movie at best, the first hour was pretty good and then it went downhill from there.

I didn't find the cinematography all that good. I though there was a lot green screen used in this movie but apparently not [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: