Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Expendables 3

Author Topic: Expendables 3
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 12:48 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried to watch this movie last night in one of the Cineplex AVX theaters with Dolby Atmos, (there was no regular screen), we stayed for 5 minutes (until the Expendables 3 logo came up) and after the rescue train scene, the audio was just so loud and ear piercing we decided to just leave, get our money back and go somewhere else. I am really getting tired of Cineplex and their sub par performances.

Tonight we saw it at an independent, we saw it with proper masking and simple audio. (apparently this theater does not have subs) There was a lot of action going on in the surrounds, really nice surround use.

Overall, it was a good time at the movies. It was nice to see Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson on the big screen. Aside from Ronda Rousey, I have no idea who the new guys were.

Wesley Snipes was a waste, Antonio Banderas was not funny even though his character was suppose to supply some humor. Jet Li looked weird, something was not right.

Better than the second, not as good as the first, you can tell the movie was made for overseas markets.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-17-2014 03:16 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Mel Gibson is still alive! HOLLYWOOD WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS! Wackiness ensues

The trailer for this was laid out like this was a "Fast & the Furious" franchise sequel. What would have been awesome is if the "new team" WAS the "Fast & the Furious" cast, or at least some people I've heard of before. Or better yet, they could have tossed the whole 'new crew' thing and chopped about a half hour of movie. Why on Earth does an "Expendables" movie need two be two-plus hours long? The answer: IT DOESN'T.

Still, the big climax scene at the cool old abandoned resort was great. And Antonio Banderas steals every freaking scene he's in.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-17-2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Better than the second, not as good as the first, you can tell the movie was made for overseas markets.
And because it is "better than the second but worse than the first", it was made for overseas markets? They like mediocre stuff "over there", don't they?

The show I attended tonight was an unintentional private show, exactly two people turned up, me and my girlfriend. So, yeah, it's apparently doing great in overseas markets.

And you know what? This movie is one big borefest. Bringing all those big action heroes of the 80s and 90s together in some kind of b.s. action movie? Yeah, it kind of worked for once. The second time, it already got repetitive, but the broadside of inside jokes kept it afloat, although just barely.

This third installment is just more of the same, combined with some extra chunks fake nostalgic drama. Stuff nobody cares for and only serves to stretch this thing over the full 126 minutes it takes to finish.

Great to know The Expendables 4 is already in the pipeline. Yipikaye!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2014 07:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
quote: Marcel Birgelen
And because it is "better than the second but worse than the first", it was made for overseas markets? They like mediocre stuff "over there", don't they?
Maybe the people of "over there" don't have any issue with participating in piracy and have already seen the movie. [Razz] [Wink]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will there be an EXPENDABLES 4 [Confused] or will RHONDA ROUSEY have to remain in the UFC until she gets her A$$ Kicked... [Wink]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-18-2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB lists it as in development. It also lists Pierce Brosnan as a rumored co-star...

quote: Brad Miller
Maybe the people of "over there" don't have any issue with participating in piracy and have already seen the movie.
Yeah, we're all a bunch of criminal pirates over here, we're sailing virtual ships and amassing loot the whole day [Wink] .

Sounds like a great strategy for foreseeable box office disasters: leak it prematurely and blame it all on piracy?

Other movies have leaked out in the past, they managed to stay afloat just fine. I know of nobody that was raving about the new Expendables movie, nobody that was anxiously awaiting the next sequel, like The Hobbit, or The Hunger Games or the next Marvel-Whatever movie. Maybe, but just maybe that could be a factor too?

This movie being out there in the wild doesn't do the people justice, people should get paid to see this movie, not otherwise. [Razz]

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 08:21 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The third film in Stallone's mega action cast flick has Rocky on a suicide mission to catch Mad Max and this time it's serious. I mean it was serious the last two times too but this time it's even seriouser....er. Indeed this mission is so dangerous that Rambo sacks his current geriatric crew in favour of a new younger mob. Apparently there's greater honour in leading young folks to the slaughter than it is to lead old folks......or something....but, hey, as long as it's a good rollicking fun time, who cares?

And this is fun! Good clean silly fun with a dash of violence which teams up the best assembly of vintage action stars ever seen. Rocky joins hands with the likes of Ivan Drago, Bacon and Blade and by the end of it even Conan, Han Solo and El Mariachi are in on the act. The new young guns are probably famous for some prior project (though I've never heard of them) and obviously this is Stallone's attempt to blood some individually picked up'n'coming action stars. Which makes the film somewhat of a vanity project for Sly but, hey, when was Expendables anything other than a vanity project? And as long as it's fun who cares?

With the generationally diverse cast, old school is pitted against new school; new technology versus muscle and there's plenty of comic nods between 80's style action and the new breed of technology driven action film. As a result, there's something for everybody and the film has wide, intergenerational appeal.

Gibson makes a great bad guy and is the highlight of the film in terms of performances. Everybody else efficiently chews through their dumb lines, dropping gags, ribbing each other, referencing the grand old days of 80's action moofies and Arnie gets to sprout lines like, "Get to the chah-pah!" as often as possible which is really cheesy and exactly the reason why we watch this.

Is this a good movie? No, it's awful. But as long as it's fun, who cares?

It's fun.

7 out of 10

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booker was telling me, aside from the piracy angle, one reason this movie has tanked is becauuse it's PG-13 -- which makes some sense. They apparently went for PG-13 to get the younger crowd, but the young crowd thinks its a movie full of old guys so they don't care about it....and the old-guy fans are craving badass action and lots of bad language so the rating turned them off too.

It's possible I guess. There's definitely a difference in 'buzz' here since the last one....I don't think anyone has asked me about this movie yet.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Stu, great review. Mel Gibson was great but I also think Harrison Ford was pretty good too. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 04:23 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Ford was pretty solid too. Fair to say, I think, that Gibson and Ford are the only "real" actors in this and it shows. But, of course, we don't watch this movie for the performances, do we? [Wink]

It's a bit off topic, I know, but I'll start caring about the studios' concerns about piracy when they start giving a shit about efficiently delivering their product to their customers.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 09:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just wait for the extended 'R' rated cut on home video.

as for the volume - I remember seeing the first film in the theater (DCP digital sound) and it was SOOO loud - I got a migrane.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2014 02:43 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, of course, we don't watch this movie for the performances, do we? [Wink]
No, we don't watch the movie for the performances LOL. I can see what the producers were trying to do with the newer cast, it just didn't connect with younger audiences.

quote: Stu Jamieson
It's a bit off topic, I know, but I'll start caring about the studios' concerns about piracy when they start giving a shit about efficiently delivering their product to their customers.
I agree with you. I would also add that the exhibitors need to be held accountable for their presentations as well. The AVX presentation looked dimly lit and the Atmos equipped cinema was way too loud.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-23-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Our booker was telling me, aside from the piracy angle, one reason this movie has tanked is becauuse it's PG-13 -- which makes some sense. They apparently went for PG-13 to get the younger crowd, but the young crowd thinks its a movie full of old guys so they don't care about it....and the old-guy fans are craving badass action and lots of bad language so the rating turned them off too.
Although they work largely the same, our ratings are a bit less in-your-face as those tacked on by the MPAA, so I entirely failed to notice this, but this one is rated 12+ and the others were rated 16+... That explains the total lack of punch even more.

And you know what? It's just stupid from all perspectives. Beyond those you already mentioned, why would you even go out to see Number 3 if you didn't see 1 and 2, because of the ratings?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2014 04:19 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Hollywood Screen 17. Does it matter. End of the run screen. No masking, dull picture(though it could be the clunky cinematography).

The good news: It can't be as bad as the dull Expendables 2. All the new veteran additions - Mel Gibson - Banderas, Snipes, Ford liven up all the scenes they are in though Ford seems to be smirking at times like "what the hell, this is dumb movie, I am just going to smirk and smile while pretending to deliver serious news to the Stallone character".
The bad news: Too much damn Stallone. The guy has lost it when it comes to screen presence. He is way too rhoided up. THe sadness in his eyes that one could detect in movies like some of his early ones is just dead. When you got so many damn stars, why the hell are y0ou making this a glory project about how great you are that you are leading all these all stars. And some of the action sequences are just routine. And that chick they got in is not as good as Gina Carano who I saw in a silly but entertaining movie In the Blood.

Mel Gibson showed that he still has it. While a lot of the stars like Arnold, Stallone, even Ford looked like they were wheezing through their lines, Gibson still has that crispness in delivery. It's too bad his recent work Gringo in Mexico -or whatever it is- was not released in the US. Fun piece of work. And Stallone's insistence on being in almost every damn frame of this movie really shortchanges the others. Snipes showed some promise early in the movie, but then his character just gets shut down. Terry Crews , usually hilarious in movies, is a dull presence here. Jet LI - JET FUCKING LI- shows up in a bit part firing away in the least creative manner possible.

But yes, Banderas absolutely steals this movie. At least Stallone let this character not get shortchanged. I haven't seen him this good in an English movie a long time. I hope casting directors take notice and offer him a new lease on his career(at least he got to do another twisted movie with Almadavor).

Jason Statham must be wondering why he continued in this franchise. Jason's charisma is all stripped out and he is like the boring bland second banana to Stallone. Funny, how I thought Statham was supposed to be the next generation and Stallone lumps him in with the geezers when he "retires" the gang.

The only good part of the young crowd was the fact that it introduces Kelsey Grammar's character.

Arnold should sue the makeup artist. He was made to look lumpy and the facial hair made him look weird. it's a shame because I thought he did a damn good job livening up the little seen routine action movie Escape Plan with Stallone.

And if they want to really get maximum value out of this super dream all star cast for the middle aged crowd , they need to revisit those Dirty Dozen , Wild Bunch type movies and figure out a movie along those lines where every character gets to interact with each other and Stallone doesn't get to hog every damn frame. You will also need to kill some characters to inject some real feeling related to the characters fates. And instead of making it Expendables type franchise, make it an action franchise with the stars playing different characters in each new movie. The Expendables name brand is crap right now. So making a sequel is not even commercially a great idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: