Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014)

Author Topic: Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014)
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very entertaining popcorn kids flick from Disneytoon (Pixar ripoff) Department of "the House of Mouse."

Wife and I enjoyed it.

Since me being raised around aviation with father having his own planes and with him working for FAA, it was good to see animated versions of planes that I'm familiar with.

I've seen last year's release ("Planes") which introduced the characters and other airplanes and did like it. True, not up to Pixar's calibre of storyline animation, but did a good second place.

This release is the same with a good storyline and animation, but just a tad thinner in personality development of the new characters - prob why it was a lot shorter (82min) than the original one (at 91 min).

Shorter means to get through the story a bit faster since some of the characters weren't worth developing (never explained why on what happened to Blade Ranger on where the first one had a decent explanation on what happened to Skipper) and with the smaller characters-and they deserved a place in their own for the heroics they portrayed in the feature.

In short, this film could have been a 'straight to DVD/BR release', but Disney's not going to give up that quickly without letting the big screens having a whack at it to present it to the movie going public along with getting some of their money back on boxoffice receipts before depending on media sales to balance the books out.

One nice thing that this one was in 'scope, whereas the original was in flat-the way Pixar movies should be presented.

But hearing AC/DC's 1990 hit, "Thunderstruck" towards the middle of the movie, is a deserving treat in itself since this song fits in with this section of the story.

"AC/DC Rocks on!"

6/10 for me. I'll be getting the BR on this film when it gets released for home viewing.

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: