Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2014 02:53 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denver Harkins Northfield Cine Capri (2D Atmos)

Good fun. Great "shades of grey" storytelling. A couple of "beats" at the end did not have the emotional heft they should have, but still a great movie all around.

Bummed it was 1:85. I believe I read somewhere that the 3D work necessitated that, at least in the filmmakers' minds. Bah. Another reason to hate 3D.

Atmos mix was good. Felt like I was in a rainstorm at times.

Picture seemed a bit dim. I don't know if it was 2k or 4k, but it didn't seem all that sharp, so I assume 2k.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-13-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing the decision to use flat had to do with all the motion capture which happened out in the real world. I'm guessing the extra width would have significantly increased costs and rendering time by adding more elements to each frame.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-13-2014 06:25 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema/THX (2D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Uh-oh! The hydro plant's down! Wackiness ensues.

Last week, I re-watched the original "Planet of the Apes" for the first time in years, and re-watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" for the first time since its theatrical run. The thing that never occurred to me about the original before is that it would have fit right in as a script for the original "Star Trek" TV series. The sets, script, and costumes were right about the same quality. Replace Charlton Heston and his partners with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForrest Kelley, and come up with an end resolution where they all live and leave on the Enterprise, and it would totally work.

The thing I noticed about "Rise"? I liked it better than I remember.

I'll probably like it even better now paired with "Dawn". I was COMPLETELY into this. Every time I thought the plot was going astray, it didn't. It just worked. It looked amazing. Not once did I check the time.

Best "Apes" movie ever.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I read:

quote:
Reeves: So I wanted to shoot the film in anamorphic 2.35:1. But we couldn’t do that, because of 3D. Because in 3D the lenses have to match perfectly and they are only now coming up with 3D matched lenses that will allow you to shoot 2.35:1. And the reason I wanted to shoot anamorphic, 2.35:1 was the aspect ratio but also because the depth of field is more shallow, and I think makes for a more intimate and realistic visual approach. And when it turned out that I could not shoot anamorphic, the only way to shoot with the kind of depth of field that I wanted was to shoot in 1.85:1. Because (and this is so technical) but in order to shoot super 35, which is NON-anamorphic, I would have had to have used wider lenses, which would have made for a different kind of depth of field than I wanted. So I shot 1.85:1 so I could get the kind of depth of field that I wanted.

And it would have cost more money, probably, to shoot the film in anamorphic and render the ape effects – it would have been more expensive. And actually no, because they rebuilt everything from the ground up for Ceasar to make it better. WETA sort of makes an overall deal, and tries to give you the best value they can give you, but there were 1,000 artists working on the film, and the overhead for that is basically a small village, so it works out to roughly around somewhere to $50-60,000 per 5 seconds of a shot of apes. Broadly, broadly.

http://www.slashfilm.com/matt-reeves-michael-giacchino-reddit-ama/

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard some crazy buzz that we're gonna see a lot of 1.85:1 releases since the practice of open masking screens is now common, and doing scope features to get a 'letterboxed' presentation on these screens is a very tacky way to present a widescreen feature.

It's like, "you forgot to close the maskings", or "why am I getting a feature that only fills a portion of the screen? Am I being cheated out of my admit ticket?"

Thus, we might be heading back to full circle - going one lens format only so the screens can be filled. (and it will benefit the DMD chips in the projectors since they'll be filled as well and get 1080 HD on the screen).

- Monte

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2014 11:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Heard some crazy buzz that we're gonna see a lot of 1.85:1 releases since the practice of open masking screens is now common, and doing scope features to get a 'letterboxed' presentation on these screens is a very tacky way to present a widescreen feature.
I sure hope we get more 1.85 aspect ratios, or perhaps they will do dual aspect ratios. I can't stand this open masking thing that is happening in my area. It is getting harder to find a theater that does present the film properly.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved this movie. Went and saw the double feature at the Regal 18 in KC. Quaint little theater, I liked it.

Hadn't seen the first one either, I had a really enjoyable ~5 hours and it left me wanting more!!!

I plan on seeing it again in Atmos

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought the movie was great, but it looked terrible. 1.85:1 aside, the image seemed to like the finer detail I've come to expect out of a mainstream picture like this. It felt murky, and very much video.

And this was a 2D show on a Barco setup that typically looks tremendous.

AJG

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 10:33 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1:85 image doesn't bother me. I've mentioned in the past that I actually prefer it.

For the longest time, it seemed as though every movie was 2:35. Recently however, I've noticed more and more features are being shot in 1:85.

I do not agree with theatre that install fixed 1:85 screens and letterbox scope features.

What even worse, is those theatre that are fully equiped with movable masking, but CHOOSE NOT TO USE IT! Recently, Landmark's California Theatre in Berkeley, CA has started this practice.

Mike

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 12:09 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it tonight, I liked it, it wasn't great but it was good.

There was something not right with Caesar, he seemed different.

Overall, the first one was better.

quote: Mike Croaro
The 1:85 image doesn't bother me. I've mentioned in the past that I actually prefer it.
Agreed.

quote:
This is what I read:

quote:Reeves: So I wanted to shoot the film in anamorphic 2.35:1. But we couldn’t do that, because of 3D. Because in 3D the lenses have to match perfectly and they are only now coming up with 3D matched lenses that will allow you to shoot 2.35:1. And the reason I wanted to shoot anamorphic, 2.35:1 was the aspect ratio but also because the depth of field is more shallow, and I think makes for a more intimate and realistic visual approach. And when it turned out that I could not shoot anamorphic, the only way to shoot with the kind of depth of field that I wanted was to shoot in 1.85:1. Because (and this is so technical) but in order to shoot super 35, which is NON-anamorphic, I would have had to have used wider lenses, which would have made for a different kind of depth of field than I wanted. So I shot 1.85:1 so I could get the kind of depth of field that I wanted.

And it would have cost more money, probably, to shoot the film in anamorphic and render the ape effects – it would have been more expensive. And actually no, because they rebuilt everything from the ground up for Ceasar to make it better. WETA sort of makes an overall deal, and tries to give you the best value they can give you, but there were 1,000 artists working on the film, and the overhead for that is basically a small village, so it works out to roughly around somewhere to $50-60,000 per 5 seconds of a shot of apes. Broadly, broadly.

http://www.slashfilm.com/matt-reeves-michael-giacchino-reddit-ama/

Or perhaps Matt Reeves thought he was going to get an IMAX release and then Fox bailed on the idea [Confused]

But seriously, Reeves should not have to justify why it was 1.85 and not 2.35.1, it just is and there should be some wonder on our part "the audience" as to why he chose that format. The wonder and awe of going to the movies is diminished when we hear every reason why something was done or when see all the behind the scenes footage. Going to the movies in the 70s, 80s, and most of the 90s was so much better than it is today.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2014 12:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Reeves should not have to justify why it was 1.85 and not 2.35.1, it just is and there should be some wonder on our part "the audience" as to why he chose that format. The wonder and awe of going to the movies is diminished when we hear every reason why something was done
Then why did you read that article and THEN post it here to ruin it for the rest of us? [Wink]

I do agree that seeing/hearing all the behind-the-scenes stuff (and the constant stream of weekly grosses) has taken a lot of the magic out of the movies. But nobody's forcing anyone to pay attention to that stuff. People are just curious and want to know details; it's human nature, and the media has a lot of hours/pages to fill.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 05:46 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer

It's like, "you forgot to close the maskings", or "why am I getting a feature that only fills a portion of the screen? Am I being cheated out of my admit ticket?"

Thus, we might be heading back to full circle - going one lens format only so the screens can be filled. (and it will benefit the DMD chips in the projectors since they'll be filled as well and get 1080 HD on the screen).

I haven't seen this film yet but I wanted to throw in my hatred of non masked screens. Especially for common width, scope looks horrible. We saw Edge of Tomorrow recently on one of these screens and my wife (who is the opposite of a videophile) even commented that the screen looks terrible and is distracting and is the reason "people don't like things not to fill the screen at home."

Also, one little technical item. 1:85 doesn't fill the entire DMD chip. The chips are 2048 pixels wide and only use 1998 for flat. I assume in these common width, non masked setups, they are chopping off those 50 pixels in scope. I guess it's not quite as bad as the 80s/90s common width 35mm small screens where there would be masking at least but they'd make 'scope something in the 2.2:1 range or taller by masking the sides.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think it looks bad on digital. You should see the 35mm Foto Kem print! And the print only has optical & Dolby Digital sound tracks. For those of you fortunate enough to be totally digital. 35mm print quality now is at an all time low! Quad track has become a thing of the past. Lucky to get one with DTS now & then. Everything, including the limited 35mm trailers, is being done by Foto Kem. Need I say more?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 06:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while this may sound like favortism towards the ETX screen (or any fixed 1.85 screen for that matter) the image taking up the whole screen looked tremendous. Also I thought the Atmos mix was excellent compared to Fox's other tent pole film 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' which sounded like mushy front heavy shite.

Great 'dark' film which finally dispels that utterly crappy Tim Burton's walking abortion adaptation.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without going into the discussion of what aspect ratio is the best for what purpose, but personally, I hate this mid-franchise aspect-ratio switch.

The aspect ratio has a lot to do with how you perceive a movie and has also a large impact on how it has been shot. The impact is also far more perceivable than, for example a switch from film to digital acquisition. And in my humble opinion, consistency is important for any franchise.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: