Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

Author Topic: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2014 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We test-screened this last night. My wife insisted that we had watched the original when we played it, but I have zero memory of it, so I basically went into this one cold.

Maybe I wasn't in the proper mood and we did start it kind of late, but it seemed kind of draggy to me. I loved the animation and the attention to detail in it though. It is a visual feast.

The 3-D is one of the better uses of the format, due mainly to all the "flight" scenes. There are also lots more "things in your face" than there have been in recent 3-D movies, so I think the kiddos will be pretty enthralled with it.

Some of the frantic action scenes seemed kind of tacked-on. ("Hey guys, we haven't had a battle scene for six minutes, you need to stick some action in here pronto!")

There weren't any particularly memorable characters for me, but your mileage might vary. I kind of lost interest in the narrative about a third of the way through so I just resigned myself to enjoying watching the animation and especially the backgrounds, which are impressive.

I'm interested to hear what the audiences say. I read a review on rogerebert.com that gave it pretty high praise.

2 out of 5 stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2014 11:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
other than one character arch - I thought the script was just going through the motions and not very surprising. Went to hear this in 'Auro' sound and it was definitely better than Mr. Peabody and Sherman - but still the non-use of the center rear sound channels left much to the imagination. Good, but not as good as the first film.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2014 11:23 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOVED LOVED LOVED it, but I am extremely biased.

Haven't seen it in Atmos yet though.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2014 09:43 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, has #11 in Cobb Village improved since Peabody? Did the image fill up the entire common height screen? Was the directionality improved in relation to the fronts and surrounds? Any muffled channels? Any blown woofers?

I'm asking this as I might see a movie with my father tomorrow. I haven't been to Cobb since then and my disappointment made me stray away from the complex.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Connor - the 2.35 AR filled the entire screen and it looked great (albeit in 2D) - and it also sounded much better (despite the little shit 'under two year old' two seats to my right would start making these really annoying noises - this is why I try not to attend afternoon matinees). But the surrounds were very active, still really didn't hear that much of 'height'. The music mix really I thought sounded enveloping and quite dynamic. Sorry, I'm realizing while I write this that you were thinking of seeing this today - sorry for the late response.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2014 10:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, why does every animated movie seem to have some sort of "fireworks display" at the end? I mean, fireworks are cool and all but I'll bet I've seen a half dozen cartoon fireworks shows in the last few years.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2014 10:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my fave was the last Madagascar movie appropriately with Katy Perry's song about ... fireworks. [Smile]

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2014 08:39 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this sequel to How To Train Your Dragon, our young heroes are noticeably older - they must be in their mid to late teens now - and the story has matured correspondingly. Hiccup is clearly in a loving relationship with Astrid and Hiccup's dad, Stoick, is talking wedding bells. But there's a darkness which accompanies this maturing of the story elements and it proves to be a double-edged sword.

The unbridled fun of the first film (probably Dreamworks' best animated feature) takes a heavy hit in this one with the story centring around loss, love and loss again. Hiccup's discovery of his long lost mother (voiced by Cate Blanchett impersonating Emma Thompson, it seems) and the reasons for her departure adds heart to the story but also a heavy slice of melancholy. It's a brave move for a kid's film but it dominates most of the proceedings at the expense of the villain of the piece who is largely forgotten for much of the movie's middle section. Indeed the film is trying to be two films in one: a family relationship drama; and a good guys versus bad guys action adventure. But the juggling of these two elements is less than successful and each ball is in turn dropped in favour of the other. That the villain is human, also darkens the overall tone of the film.

With the mixture of light and dark tones on display here, presumably Dreamworks were shooting for a balance akin to Pixar's Up, but where the first Dragon film was very successful in emulating Pixar's success, a similar achievement is not quite found here.

Despite this tonal and narrative imbalance, however, How To Train Your Dragon 2 remains a very entertaining film. The interplay between the young players is heartfelt and amusing and the action sequences are everything we would expect and then some. As a result, the film remains dependable holiday fare for kids and adults alike and deserves recognition for at least attempting to push the story forward rather than simply resorting to a cheap sequel cash-in.

7 out of 10

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 02:48 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like most sequels, this one cannot live up to the movie that came before it, when the ideas were fresh and the characters were (quite literally) younger. But I guess it's not a bad movie after all and for a movie targeted primarily at kids of all ages, it has a surprisingly dark tone to it.

The animation is great and like Mike put it, the attention to detail is quite astonishing. I also particularly liked the interactions between the dragons, happening mostly in the background.

quote: Mike Blakesley
There weren't any particularly memorable characters for me, but your mileage might vary.
Most of the character development was done in the first installment. In this one, they remained mostly static. In the first one, the dragons also turned from evil creatures hunting people (and sheep) to something akin to pets.

This movie obviously also suffers from sequelitis. Once a movie becomes part of a bigger franchise, character development usually grinds to a halt...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: