Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Fault In Our Stars (2014)

Author Topic: The Fault In Our Stars (2014)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-10-2014 10:21 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Cancer Girl dates Cancer Boy. Wackiness ensues.

This one's aimed squarely at teen girls, and it's fine for what it is (a teen girl crying machine). But it was SO close to better. If Diablo Cody got to rework the script and Jason Reitman directed, this could have been seriously good. And if they got rid of all the sappy drama music.

Missed it by THAT much.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with you Sam, Fault was a good movie, by far one of the better movies this year. Good performances, well crafted, good music and an interesting storyline. I think S. Woodley has shown she will be a powerhouse actress going forward, she has no problem carrying this movie. The chemistry between the two was spot on and really worked.

Willem Dafoe was a nice surprise. I was not expecting that. And all supporting actors were well cast. This film was a little manipulative at times, but that was minor. I also like the locations, there were some nice shooting locations. The movie was paced quicker than I thought it would be and thank goodness they used the 1.85 flat aspect ratio. Too many dramas are in scope.

By the end of the movie, I was very interested to know who directed the film. Josh Boone was a second time director when making the movie, I look forward to what movies he will be making next.

I did miss the first 20 minutes (I was stuck in that Jersey Boys crap), but I liked what I saw [Wink]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-26-2014 05:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once in a while a movie comes along that I think is truly wonderful. This is one of them. As with most movies there are a number of things that one could pick apart about it and some of it pushes the "dramatic" about a quarter-inch past where it should be, but overall this is a really excellent movie.

The delivery method for the letter at the end was too unlikely, though the letter itself was a fine ending for the movie.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 06:36 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The delivery method for the letter at the end was too unlikely,
This was in the book, I thought it was a fantastic surprise at the conclusion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: