Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-03-2014 12:11 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K (2D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: LF channel audio buzz
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A dopey guy gets super powers through a horrible accident and doesn't use them for good. Wackiness ensues.

Well, that's ONE of the plots, anyway. There's enough going on here that it wouldn't take a lot of effort to put in some filler characters and turn this script into a season-long television series. And with a few action scene exceptions, this movie FEELS like a television series, quality-wise. It's worth watching, but it's not even close to being a great super hero movie.

A friend of mine went to a Thursday evening "special advance screening" show and said the attendance was...four. The theatre manager told him it was the worst attendance for any Thursday opening she'd seen. Attendance at my Friday matinee was twelve.

THAT doesn't bode well.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2014 12:19 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
curious to see the box office numbers come out Monday for the weekend gross.

Friday numbers: $35,500,000 intake / 4,324 screens / $8,210 average per screen

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only had 12 people for the Thursday show but I attribute that to the fact they didn't let us know we could do a Thursday show until Monday, so we didn't have much time to promote it. Also, having that pesky "May 2" date on the posters didn't help, plus May 1 was a school nite.

Having said all that, our crowd last night wasn't very good either -- we didn't even have a line when we opened, which is very unusual for a Marvel movie.

But, people exiting are saying they liked it, so word of mouth should be good.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-03-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Sony really think that people's collective memory doesn't stretch until 2007?

Disney called and they want their Spider Man back. Sony's license on those characters is running out and they obviously wanted to cash in on them while the fun lasts.

But instead of doing something out-of-the-ordinary with the franchise, they opted for just another reboot, only 5 years after the fact, telling roughly the same stories yet again. Although the 2012 film wasn't all that bad, many people felt cheated and some even boycotted it entirely.

All in all, I have the distinct feeling people are slowly getting tired of all those comic superhero movies. Especially Marvel is on their way of over-saturating the market...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
All in all, I have the distinct feeling people are slowly getting tired of all those comic superhero movies. Especially Marvel is on their way of over-saturating the market...
I agree. Especially since they are all essentially the same, once you get past the sideline story about the personality of the hero, it's all the same crash-bang-boom with no regard to physics.

The one I'm dreading this summer is the Transformers movie. I was about ready to pull the remaining hair out of my head after 2 weeks of listening to that last noisy crapfest.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
curious to see the box office numbers come out Monday for the weekend gross.

Friday numbers: $35,500,000 intake / 4,324 screens / $8,210 average per screen

It really is Amazing how Spider-mans first shows are just getting started today, yet the box office performance has already been determined for the weekend.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/amazing-spider-man-2-box-office-opening-big-debut/

LOL, I highly doubt that. The box office performance is proving otherwise.

On another note, is this the first SONY movie to use the new SONY logo intro before the Colombia Pictures logo?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really seemed to underwhelm here as well. We sent employees home early Friday and Saturday, despite being short-staffed already. No shows sold out.

I got sent home early on Friday night, decided to drive down to KC to catch it in AMC Prime at 11:30pm. I really enjoyed it, but enjoyed Captain America more.

There were about 20-30 people in my screening.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was AMC prime?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it. I try to make a point to see every feature in Dolby Atmos in that house. It doesn't give me a headache like IMAX does.

I. Love. Dolby. Atmos.

To be super honest though, the leather recliners get hot and uncomfortable before too long. I like the leather rockers at the Cinemark on the Plaza better. But the prime seats do have the reverbrators so there's that, I suppose.

I wish they'd switch from the "Unfold" trailer to the "Amaze" trailer, but it still gives me goosebumps every time.

Well over 300 speakers in that room.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-04-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Terry,

-

Have another sip!

It's been out in large parts of the world since April 24th. The Friday evening show (on the 25th) I attended was nowhere near a sellout. For an average movie, the crowd was certainly not bad, but for a $200M production, you would expect more. It will probably not end up being a box office disaster, but neither a record breaker either.

quote: Mike Blakesley
The one I'm dreading this summer is the Transformers movie. I was about ready to pull the remaining hair out of my head after 2 weeks of listening to that last noisy crapfest.
Personally, I've never liked those big budget, overproduced, overly loud and "faux-epic" Michael Bay productions where everything is teal and orange. And the whole Transformers movie franchise has been one grotesque string of Michael Bay-ness...

After the last one, I really expected they would finally let the franchise cool down for a while.

A trilogy once was the golden rule of sequels. And at least for me personally, that still feels right. If you do have a franchise with strong characters, a compelling setting and still some stories to tell that matter, three movies just feel like the right amount... Everything extra is just milking it dry, just to grab that last remaining bundle of potential cash that's left in it.

It's unfortunate that potentially hurting or even killing the franchise, that many hold dear, in the process doesn't really matter to those who own the rights to it.

quote: Buck Wilson
I love it. I try to make a point to see every feature in Dolby Atmos in that house. It doesn't give me a headache like IMAX does.
The Atmos mix in this one is quite OK, but not the best I've heard until now. It has a few opportunities to bring the top speakers to good use though.

Digital IMAX gives me that apres-rock-concert feeling, but usually with a bad twist, because there was no beer*... So, it only leaves some-kind of pounding feeling in your head, but no alcohol in your veins to compensate...

* The local Digital IMAX venues actually sell beer, but I've never seen anybody drinking beer during an IMAX show...

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had NO ONE show up for the Thursday night show. It was advertised on our website, radio ad and on our Facebook page (FB showed that over 200 people had seen the post promoting the Thursday show)

Friday through Sunday shows have also been very poorly attended. We don't always open movies on the break, but this one has been the worst opening we have done since I started at the theater in 1998.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will probably not end up being a box office disaster, but neither a record breaker either.
No its not going to be a box office disaster. Marcel, why does it have have to set a record? The original Spider-man set a opening weekend record because it was the first Spider-man movie, it was a new idea and it was the first real mainstream kids Marvel film (X-Men is more for adults). What is holding the movie back (and more importantly SONY back) is that SONY does not have any other Marvel characters to expand it on. $92 million this past weekend for North America is nothing to be ashamed of. Of course the 5th movie for SONY is not going to exceed the first one.

Marcel said earlier:

All in all, your feelings are wrong. In less than 40 calendar days, both Captain America 2 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 have grossed a combined $1 billion+ at the world wide box office. In fact Captain America 2 far exceeded the take of the first one. You need to go back and look up Thor 2 from November, it too exceeded the take of the original Thor.

After the last one, I really expected they would finally let the franchise cool down for a while.

Why in the world you want to do that? Transformers 3 grossed $1.1 billion dollars world wide, there is clearly a demand for it. The global take of the three is close to $2.8 billion and each sequel has out done the predecessor. Making movies and showing movies is about making money.

I will agree that the second and third installments sucked.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2014 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
All in all, your feelings are wrong.
Nope, he's right. Here's an article from Boxoffice Mojo, which you won't agree with since you didn't post it, but whatever:

quote:

Franchise Fatigue Weighs Down 'Amazing Spider-Man 2'
by Ray Subers
May 4, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 scored one of the best debuts of the year, but wasn't nearly as amazing as past outings in the Spider-Man franchise.

Of course, the movie is doing significantly stronger business overseas. So far, it's earned $277 million, and has a good chance of matching its predecessor's $490 million total.

At the domestic box office, the sequel to the 2012 reboot opened to an estimated $92 million. That's a bit lower than Captain America: The Winter Soldier's $95 million debut last month. It is higher than Thor: The Dark World ($85.7 million), and is also above 2009 summer kick-off X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($85.1 million).

Compared to other outings in the Spider-Man series, though, this is a disappointing debut. It's tough to compare this to the first Amazing Spider-Man, which opened on a Tuesday ahead of the Fourth of July weekend. The best comparable titles are the first and third movie in Sam Raimi's original trilogy, which also debuted on the first weekend of May. Those opened to $114.8 million and $151.1 million, respectively, with much lower average ticket prices and no 3D premiums.

The Spider-Man character clearly remains very popular — if that weren't the case, it couldn't have possibly reached $90 million. It's abundantly clear, though, that this franchise has to some extent worn out its welcome with moviegoers.

To justify its existence so soon after the Raimi series, the 2012 reboot needed to be great; unfortunately, reactions were generally mixed. It was also the lowest-grossing entry yet at the domestic box office with $262 million (down 22 percent from the last entry).

To stop the bleeding, the second outing threw a ton of villains at Spider-Man, though that approach had its pros and cons (Electro looked silly, while Green Goblin felt redundant). Marketing wasn't quite able to overcome the "been there, done that" feeling that's accompanied this reboot series.

There was also an expectation that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 would be propped up by its Summer kick-off release date. Unfortunately, Captain America: The Winter Soldier seems to have stolen some of its thunder there. Reviews didn't help either, as it wound up being the worst-reviewed Spider-Man movie yet.

According to Sony, the audience was 61 percent male and 51 percent under the age of 25. That's younger than the typical audience for a superhero movie, and family attendance (33 percent) likely had something to do with this.

The long-term prospects at the domestic box office aren't great. The movie received a so-so "B+" CinemaScore, which suggests word-of-mouth will be only a bit better than the reviews. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will likely fall off quickly in the coming weeks, and is essentially guaranteed to be the lowest-grossing entry yet in the franchise. Based on the pattern of other May openers, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 should finish with around $230 million.

Boxoffice Mojo

Of course there's no "requirement" that each movie should set records, but every one of these movies HOPES to set records. Our crowds here are definitely NOT amazing. We have yet to be even half full for a show, which is VERY unusual for a fanboy-type movie. The feeling is definitely "Another Spider-Man movie? Seriously?"

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2014 11:24 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, he is actually wrong.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Our crowds here are definitely NOT amazing. We have yet to be even half full for a show, which is VERY unusual for a fanboy-type movie. The feeling is definitely "Another Spider-Man movie? Seriously?
Perhaps your customers from your town are driving out of their way to see the movie in a premium large format such as Prime, BigD or AVX? How close is your town to a major multiplex?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2014 11:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16
Screen: Cine Capri
Format: 2D, Dolby Atmos - $8.00 per ticket. Yay.
Presentation Problems: None
Rating: 2 stars out of 4

My girlfriend, Cynthia and I watched a 4:15pm matinee show in downtown Oklahoma City. The crowd in the theater was pretty light. I didn't know if that had to do with lack of enthusiasm for yet another Marvel movie sequel or if everyone downtown was more interested in gathering at Chesapeake Arena to watch the Oklahoma City Thunder defeat the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 7.

This sequel just couldn't get its legs underneath it to generate any momentum. The on again and off again love story thing didn't get me involved. Paul Giamatti was wasted in what amounted to a cameo role. The Green Goblin portion seemed like a footnote, even though it had a big impact on the end of the movie. That actor seems like an also ran version of Leonardo DiCaprio. The very cliched story line with Max/Electro didn't do much for me apart from the visuals and sound effects (I call it cliche for the blatant stereotypical nerd cartoon character bullshit thing which shouldn't be in any TV show or movie anymore because it just isn't realistic at all).

The movie should have picked just one villain and stuck with just that storyline. They should have lightened up on all the love story crap, regardless of what the focus group dummies say about pulling in the female audience.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Andrew Garfield is a good actor. I really enjoyed his work in The Social Network. Honestly, I've had a real hard time buying him as Spiderman/Peter Parker. My girlfriend, Cynthia said right off the bat after the movie was finished that she preferred Tobey Maguire as Spiderman. I guess the thing I really didn't like about Garfield's performance was all this bullshit, hipster poseur nonsense he kept doing throughout the movie, pouting yet trying to look cool or ironic as he entered so many scenes. I wanted to slap him upside his head and tell him to cut out that pretentious shit. Act like a normal person for Pete's sake!

Overall, the movie just had this kind of feeling to it like it was a bunch of assembled clip art resembling a story rather than a real movie.

Presentation wise it was pretty good. I don't know if the projector in the Cine Capri is 2K or 4K. We didn't sit close enough to the screen to be able to tell for sure. My lady likes sitting up high in the farther back rows. At least this big screen had curtains and masking, and was common height, not idiotic common width.

I thought the Dolby Atmos mix was okay, but not all that astounding. The mix had a decent number of cues to let people know it was more than mere 5.1 or 7.1, but it was sort of odd in how it did it. I heard the most Atmos style action with Max/Electro's insane inner voice chants echoing all over the surround field. Parts of the music mix were moved into various points of the surround field as well. This mix was still somewhat subtle as far as immersive surround sound formats go.

I watched the end credits to see what would be listed in the sound format stuff. This was the first time I saw the Auro logo listed in movie end credits. The Dolby Atmos logo had the preferred single line treatment (making all the letters bigger). I don't recall seeing anything about IMAX though.
[Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: