Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Noah (2014) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Noah (2014)
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 05:29 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Kingstowne Stadium 16, Alexandria, VA
March 31st, 12:30pm show
Theater #1
Presented in RPX, Dolby Atmos
Issues: Tiny blue dead pixel

Let me say I am non-religious, don't know the Bible by heart, and understand the controversy surrounding the film. What I understand is, well: Imagine some Hollywood director took your favorite book and changed it to his/her liking. Literary adaptations have always took creative liberties to update it for a modern generation, this isn't new to cinema.

From what I've heard, Noah didn't have a backstory laid out in the Bible. For a motion picture being driven by character, non-canonical material had to be made to flesh it out for a two-hour film. Add in to the mix with rock Transformers and the underlying environmentalist message.

"Man is evil, pollutes the Earth, therefore they will perish" is rather an extreme theory even for environmentalism. No wonder most of the humans in this film are spiteful and tyrannical. The more religio-political content the more detracted I am from the film. What really confused me was that
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

The film is certainly beautiful to look at, with delicious scenery and colors. It is also fantastic in Dolby Atmos, with a tremendous dynamic range, multilayered effects, pinpoint positioning, etc. It is not a loud or explosive film, but once the action kicks in, it really kicks in. The subtle use of Atmos delivers a richer experience than your average 5.1 or 7.1 system. It's a good tech demo, but not really a good movie.

RATING: 4 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 07:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like environmentalism would be out of place in a biblical epic. I have a feeling I'm not going to like this movie -- I don't like environmentalism in movies in general. It always seems forced.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike B
I don't like environmentalism in movies in general. It always seems forced.
Yeah, I generally hate when something like that is shoehorned into something that doesn't directly relate. When a film is actually about environmentalism, it's fine - ref. SILENT RUNNING .

I haven't seen NOAH, and I know a lot of the "noise" about it being an environmental hit job is coming from the same people who thought HAPPY FEET was also the spawn of the devil. I'll see it when it hits the local dollar house just to see for myself.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2014 11:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16
Screen: Cine Capri
Format: 2K 2D, 1.85:1 on common height screen, Dolby Atmos
Presentation Problems: None
Rating: 2.75 stars out of 4

My girlfriend and I watched Noah this past Saturday evening after eating a pretty good dinner at Kevin Durant's new namesake restaurant in Bricktown. The movie was fairly entertaining in the conventional sense, although it dragged in a few areas -like after the flood had hit for instance.

Obviously Darren Aronofsky took some liberties with the story of Noah -like fleshing out enough of a story to fill a 2 hour movie. The biblical account of Noah is a little on the thin side. Some of the plot turns are obviously fabricated. Some of the characters are made up (like those big Transformers-like rock things called "the watchers"). Aronofsky also includes some style cues reminiscent of Requiem For a Dream. For the folks who are getting seriously butt-hurt over this movie they ought to look at the up-side. At least Hollywood is bringing some attention to this topic rather than making Lethal Weapon 10.

I didn't feel like this movie was beating me about the head, neck and chest with an overbearing environmentalism message. The way I took it was "the creator" was smiting mankind for his wickedness and hubris (rejection of the creator) rather than it merely being about industrialism spoiling the Earth. The movie does make some mention of industrialism, but to me it seemed much more like the flood was a response to evil.

Regarding the 1.85:1 ratio, it's difficult to tell why Aronofsky chose to shoot the movie flat. His previous two movies (Black Swan and The Wrestler) were composed for 'scope. All his other movies varied between 1.37:1 and 1.85:1. Nevertheless, I do think the increasing number of common width screens are going to influence movie studios to release fewer 'scope movies at some point.

The Dolby Atmos mix for this movie was pretty good. It didn't pile on as many sound object panning tricks as Gravity, but it had a few good ones. In one scene a character fired something similar to a flare and it made a well defined arc-like surround pan from the screen, tracking overhead and to the left rear speakers. There was a lot of localized audio in specific areas of the surrounds, a lot more specific than the quadrants of a 7.1 system. The mix had a lot of ambient sounds that completely filled the room, but without overpowering what was happening on the screen. If I had any complaint I just wish Harkins' Cine Capri theater had more punch on the sub-bass end of things.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2014 02:03 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
(like those big Transformers-like rock things called "the watchers"
I haven't had a chance to look, but supposedly those things are supposed to be "fallen angels" or some sort of spiritual things and are indeed mentioned in the Bible. Although I doubt the good book refers to them as shape shifting beings of living rock.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was way out to Left Field - wasn't impressed. What's real bad on this one is that it can easily mislead to those who haven't read the Bible since this film no way follows scripture.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 11:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of thought the movie on the whole was all over the place and as a result really left me a bit unimpressed.

The Atmos was good, not great... and I was really hoping I'd hear some more over the head sound effects that one review I had read was what the sound mixers had hoped to convey.

movie grade: C-
soundmix grade: B

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 01:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to decide whether we should play this over Easter week or not. On the one hand it would attract a lot of the faith community, but on the other hand it might rub a lot of them the wrong way on that particular weekend, so maybe it might be better to wait another week. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2014 12:59 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to hear what the faith community would make of the 'Watchers' - those creatures looked like they wandered off the Lord of the Ring/Hobbit film sets and stumbled into the wrong movie. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2014 01:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one review where they were seen as "fallen angels" and apparently there is a mention of such angels in the bible, but I haven't checked that out. But yeah, I can see where people might be shaking their heads on the way out.

Here is a paragraph from the Catholic News Services website's review of the movie which sort of explains how the Watchers loosely connect with the Bible:

quote:
A more questionable exercise of creative liberty presents us with a race of giant creatures called the Watchers. Their background story, meant to connect them to the shadowy Nephilim mentioned in Chapter 6 of Genesis, describes them as angels who voluntarily fell to Earth to help the fledgling human race. The idea of angel-like Watchers also evokes the Book of Daniel and the extra-canonical books of Enoch and Jubilees.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2014 04:38 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad film, Noah is the cast of Perks of Being a Wallflower meets the cast of A Beautiful Mind with the style and the music of The Fountain. I am not a big Bible fan and I barely know the story so perhaps that is why I liked it.

I don't really care if the movie is accurate to what the Bible says, the movie made me interested in knowing more about the story so I guess the movie did the job it was intended to do, at least for me that is. It appears there are a lot of articles comparing the truth to what is fictional.

The cinematography was the same guy who does all of the other movies by Aronofsky and while it was very good from an artistic point of view, I assume they could of used better cameras as the movie did not look like a modern film, it looked like an older film. I suspect that is the style that was intended as all of Aronofsky's movies look great artistically, but they lack high quality images.

The music was very similar to The Fountain, no surprise here as it was the same person who did the score of the fountain.

The sound was also awesome for this movie, it was loud and very engaging. The sound certainly helped with the impact of the movie. There was some serious bass in some scenes and it was the first movie in a long while where I could literally feel the bass while watching the movie.

My favorite character, creature or creation from the film was the watchers, I found them much more interesting than some of the creatures from Peter Jackson movies or anything from Michael Bay. I thought they were great. (I believe Nick Nolte did the voice of one of the watchers)

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-08-2014 04:58 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Watchers were very two-dimensional non-characters. Why would the Watchers leader go from outright hostility and dragging the other one off by the leg to "let's help this man" in ten seconds? Surely it would take more convincing than than that to get a 180 degree turnaround in attitude from those things.

One thing that has really struck me this week, though, is how absolutely dependent and uninformed many people seem to be. There was a gang of people in their 60's on the way out the door the other day and I heard one of them say, "How much of that was actually in the bible?" One of the others replied, "We'll ask the pastor."

[Confused] If you want the facts, why in the world would you need to "ask the pastor" instead of simply reading it for yourself? It's public information and not at all hard to find. I could understand this if they were a bunch of kids, but these folks were older than I am. Is original thinking and research that outmoded?

I've never been around much that religious stuff myself, but just from personal general knowledge I'm pretty sure that I could tell you what parts of the movie originated in the bible (not very much) and what was added or moved from some other bible story, or simply invented for the movie. And I haven't done any specific research either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2014 06:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's only a few chapters in the Bible, so they had to do a lot of "fleshing out" to make a feature film out of it. But from what I have heard, the Bible parts are:

- Noah, although much younger

- The flood itself, except some of it comes from underground (wtf?)

- Noah's wife

- Noah's sons

- Some of Noah's in-laws

- Noah's drunkenness after the flood is over

Not from the Bible:

- Giant living rock monsters (unless they are fallen angels, as noted above)

- Noah getting news of the flood in a dream (as opposed to hearing the voice of God, which is in the Bible)

- The giant battle, although if there was a huge flood and there was only one guy with an ark, what would you do?

- Noah thinking that ALL of humanity (including himself and his family) was due to be exterminated -- in the movie, he thinks his only job is to care for the animals to make sure they survived

- Several serious make-out scenes

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-09-2014 01:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The make-out scenes were in the Bible and the book also had much more nudity.

And Noah is a chump. He didn't even get two of the giant rock monsters on His boat and that's why we don't have any giant rock monsters today.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-12-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you're not associated to any faith or religion, the story of Noah and his Ark is probably not entirely unknown to you. It's not the most original material to rely on and that's probably the understatement of the year...

And, what I simply don't understand: Why is anybody even trying to make a Hollywood blockbuster with a (semi-)religious back-story that's not some comedy or persiflage anno 2014? Who are you trying to reach? The ones faithful to the religion(s) that will bash your movie because of all it's consistencies? Or those who will happily boycott your movie, because it has religion all over it, in huge blinking neon letters?

And what's the deal with Darren Aronofsky? He never struck me as a religious type or did I miss something in his previous movies?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: