Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 300: Rise of an Empire

Author Topic: 300: Rise of an Empire
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long 7 year wait for the sequel to Zack Snyder's film of Frank Miller's graphic novel, 300, and it's not near long enough. The sequel depicts a sea battle which occurs concurrently with the events of Snyder's first film (an interesting idea admittedly), raising the bar with buckets of gratuitous 3D CGI blood globules. But the bloody gore and mindless action is so outrageous that it becomes desensitising after a short time to the point where the talky bits between actually become more interesting despite the mostly naff dialogue.

Incredibly, not even the glory of Eva Green's naked boobs can raise the bar beyond the incessant gratuity and ridiculous dialogue presented here. Having said that, Green is by far the best thing this film has going for it, and I'm not just speaking to her bosom (praise be unto thee). Credit must also go to her figure-hugging battle corsets, well-defined cheek bones and thin, seductive lips, all of which envelopes a sexy kick-ass attitude which is certainly attention grabbing. Oh and there's a few shirtless fellows which will probably please some.

As vacuous style-over-substance entertainment this carnival of sword-wielding Frazetta fellas and Vallejo babes is bettered by few (Snyder's Sucker Punch does comes to mind though) but this isn't vouching for much. For fans of the original 300 only (whoever they are).

3 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2014 11:03 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
As vacuous style-over-substance entertainment this carnival of sword-wielding Frazetta fellas and Vallejo babes is bettered by few (Snyder's Sucker Punch does comes to mind though) but this isn't vouching for much. For fans of the original 300 only (whoever they are).
[raises hand]

6/10 from me - I had a blast - gore, violence, Eva Green was great and the Atmos mix kicked it!

... now bring on the third movie - just not seven years from now [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-16-2014 12:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On rottentomatoes, 89% of non-critics that rated 300 said they liked it with an average rating of 4.1/5 and on imdb its average is 7.8/10. And it got a not-great-but-respectable 60% from critics (6.1/10 average rating) at rottentomatoes.

Yep, whoever they are, indeed.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2014 01:02 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All those people are dead to me.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 05:13 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the movie doesn't bring anything new to the table, the Dolby Atmos mix was rather great. [Smile]

I agree, style over substance, and it would've worked well for a 20~30 minute all-in "featurette" of what can be done with great sound, some edgy music and tons of CGI... As a 2-hour plus movie: total failure...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: