Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Monuments Men

Author Topic: The Monuments Men
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 02:09 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting history lesson about an aspect of World War II that I had never heard anything about before.

It isn't particularly action-packed, but it's worth watching to learn something. It's a change from the usual blast-em type of war movie.

I don't know how much of a crowd it's going to draw here, though.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2014 06:11 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read some books on stolen art by the Nazi, it is a pretty interesting topic. What turned me off from this movie is that they delayed it from a December release and word is that it is slow paced.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A release delay CAN be a red flag but in this case it was a smart move. It would have gotten lost in the December crush and would have grossed less than it has. Regardless it's the same movie it would have been in December so why not give it a chance?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 05:09 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, this movie was just OK... somewhere between 6 and 7 out of 10. A lot more could've been done with this interesting topic.

The main distraction was that the bunch of high profile actors and director seemed to have too much fun with themselves and lost their focus on providing a compelling story.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2014 01:24 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
A lot more could've been done with this interesting topic.
I finally saw this on a Redbox rental and I agree, there was so much more that could of been done with the story, the Nazi stolen art themes are very interesting, sad to see such a wasted effort.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2014 09:23 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this via "on-demand" a couple of days ago. It's about what I expected - a competently made movie, but nothing "monumental".
I sort of liked the conventional style of movie-making. Stars who are all competent actors, no wasted time with a useless romance, and straight forward story line. It didn't strike me until a while later, but I don't think there was one word of foul language. Maybe this was because the characters were supposed to be more mature, or maybe the writers just proved it isn't necessary.
I've seen a lot of worse films!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic was originally slated for a Summer 1997 release, but was pushed back to December because of things that needed to be improved in post production. Lots of people were spreading doom and gloom stories, warning this would be another Waterworld, and pointing to the delays as a sign of proof it was an impending box office disaster.

Of course, when the movie was released it went on to break box office records and win a bunch of Oscars.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-27-2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but did I somehow miss the connection between Titanic (1997) and The Monuments Men (2013)? [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-27-2014 06:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, The Rape of Europa from 2006 is the definitive documentary on this subject. I haven't seen Monuments Men, but I can pretty much guarantee tha the earlier film is a more fascinating treatment of the same material.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-27-2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched THE MONUMENTS MEN on a Blu Ray from Netflix and enjoyed the movie very much. I have always loved Art and was always aware of the Nazis steeling art objects from museums, churches and private collectors but did not know of the effort the Allies made to recover all of the stolen items. I must not make an effort to watch THE RAPE OF EUROPE that Scott had recommended and will try to see if it is available on DVD from Netflix.

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-03-2014 01:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good one about the Nazi's stealing art is John Frankeneimer's The Train.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2014 10:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's technically: 'The Rape of EUROPA" (which BTW, is excellent)

just got the bluray of 'The Train' from Twilight Time (it's 3,000 unit 'limited edition' is quickly selling out - so if you want it, buy it now before it's gone).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: