Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Lego Movie (2014) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Lego Movie (2014)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-07-2014 08:52 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Merle Hay Cinema, Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm (2D), Dolby Digital, THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Washed out picture, unbelievably selfish bitch two seats over who Facebooked on her phone through the entire freaking movie
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

The replacement for Merle Hay Cinema on the south side of the mall was supposed to start construction last September. There's no sign of construction at all. They tore down the parking garage where it's going, and that's it. No ground prep, no nothing.

THE PLOT: Taco Tuesday gets a bad name. Wackiness ensues.

This is stupid, silly, ridiculous, funny, and just when you least expect it...really really touching.

Stick with it. It's worth it.

Also note that every kid who sees this (and some of the adults) will be shouting "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!" as they exit the building.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2014 09:42 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review. It looks like Warner has big hit on their hands. I do not like how AVX auditoriums run flat movie trailers on scope features. Nevertheless, it was a good movie.

Again, Cineplex ran a Dolby Atmos trailer right before the movie (I am starting to suspect that Dolby Corporate is instructing theatres to run the ad regardless of the feature) or perhaps I saw the movie in Dolby Atmos?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 09:56 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved this feature myself. What a hoot.

Sam, I looked up that theater and it sounds really really neat! Do you have any idea when it is closing?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-12-2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
Sam, I looked up that theater and it sounds really really neat! Do you have any idea when it is closing?
Whenever the new place gets built or when they literally can't get films anymore. Whichever comes first.

Get up here and see a show sometime. These big old rooms are harder and harder to come by.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly plan on it. Sure looks worth the visit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-12-2014 09:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Again, Cineplex ran a Dolby Atmos trailer right before the movie (I am starting to suspect that Dolby Corporate is instructing theatres to run the ad regardless of the feature) or perhaps I saw the movie in Dolby Atmos?
Terry, you know what's going on. This issue has been discussed before, repeatedly. The Lego Movie does not have an Atmos mix. I strongly doubt Dolby is telling any Atmos equipped theaters to play the Atmos snipes before every show regardless of whether it has an Atmos track or not. It's just some idiot working at that theater who doesn't know proper protocol. Nothing more. You might try complaining to the theater management about it, rather than merely sounding off here (as if complaining in this forum is going to do any good solving the problem).

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also saw this in a Dolby Atmos auditorium (Tysons) they didn't play the Atmos trailer - but even played back via the ETX matrixing - the sound was really off the charts - really fun mix.

As for the movie - I thought it was sensory overkill - the action was relentless and by the end I thought I'd need a downer or something.

Fun, but a tad overstimulating.

B+

quote: Sam Graham
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Washed out picture, unbelievably selfish bitch two seats over who Facebooked on her phone through the entire freaking movie
I wouldn't have been shy - I would have told her off... wow, why bother paying for a ticket and then NOT watch the movie. Folk like that I want to hit over the head with a folding chair.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, you can get shot that way.

I wish somebody could invent a rogue app called "Theater Smackdown." The app, which would have a nearly all-black screen, would enable you to point your phone at the offending phone, zero in on its signal, and automatically send that phone a message via whatever method available saying "You are bugging people around you with your phone, you idiot. Turn it off." And then if the phone wasn't shut off, the app would make it vibrate continuously until its battery was dead.

Come on, software designers. If it's possible for teenagers to hack into encrypted databases and steal identities, something like this ought to be a piece of cake.

And of course an app like this should be able to run in the background while your own phone was shut off.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-15-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs an app? Just walk in and tell the offender to shut his phone off.

I really don't see what's so difficult here. I did just that earlier this afternoon when a guy whipped his phone out to start texting as soon as the feature started. Told him to turn his phone off or go to the lobby. He turned it off. Problem solved.

On the subject of the Lego movie, I don't understand what all of you folks (and the audiences here) see in it. The animation is (deliberately) jerky, the story is nothing special, and Everything Is Awesome is right up there with the tunes that drive me nuts.

Good crowds, though, so it's well worth it from that point of view.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-15-2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can't always see a phone from the usual "walk around" spots. It's not really a HUGE problem here but it can happen....I've had times where I've wandered around quite often, never catching any phones, and then have somebody tell me afterward that somebody was texting during the movie.

Back to the movie...I am usually pretty good at calling a hit but I didn't think this one had the goods, mainly due to the kind of animation is. I didn't think the kidz would buy it. But they are...and the reviews are good on top of it. Wishing we had played it on the break now.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ you could animate two tongue depressors and kids wouldn't care - a long as it's a good story and is kinetic as this was - you're good to go.

sequel is already in the works.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-07-2014 06:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this last night, finally. It was amazing to watch, with the attention to detail and considering all the animation compromises they must have had to make considering they were dealing with non-shape-changing plastic blocks.

The action was a little too frantic for my tastes but it was an enjoyable movie. I can sure see why they kids are bananas over it.

My rating: 3 out of 5.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 05:21 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took some convincing before the local theater decided to play the original, non-dubbed version too: Guess what, the room filled up with kids of all ages!

Nobody wanted to pull their old LEGO boxes from the attic after seeing this? Or what did you play with when you were young? [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Legos, but nothing like the amazing sets they have today. I think besides the bricks, the only thing I had was a couple of windows.

If you're ever near one, a visit to a Lego store is quite the eye opening experience. It's amazing what they have been able to license.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been to several of those stores, brings the little kid back to me every time.

Still, as a kid, I always wanted to go to some kind of Walmart-sized store where you could buy every brick in every color they ever made by the ounce [Wink] .

Actually, Warner Bros. and LEGO distributed some great promotional material to many cinemas around here, like huge Lego statues and some rather sophisticated interactive miniature sets. I was wondering if they did the same in the States too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: