Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Nebraska (2013)

Author Topic: Nebraska (2013)
Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2014 10:21 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Nebraska today and loved it! The story is set up in the first five minutes of the movie, if that, and it stays focused throughout, no unrelated side stories.

Early on, you're not sure if Will Forte and Bruce Dern will come off as two-dimensional losers, but the relationship between them builds, they work very well together, and Dern absolutely deserves the best actor Oscar.

I particularly like that we learned bits and pieces of Dern's life as a young man, but we weren't given everything. His character was still an enigma and you can fill in the blanks the way you want.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2014 10:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think it's Payne's best film to date although 'Sideways' comes pretty close to my other fave. I had the extra plus in seeing the film with a post Q&A / discussion with actor Will Forte and producer Ron Yerxa - the UVA film screening was also the second festival to present the film in 35mm.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what the 35mm print would gain considering the movie was shot electronically with the Arri Alexa camera and post processed in a 2K digital intermediate. There was some note about the video being 4:4:4 (no chroma subsampling), which could yield some better quality blacks -but that's assuming other video-originated movies aren't shot 4:4:4 either.
[Razz]

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2014 08:07 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carol May
Dern absolutely deserves the best actor Oscar
I am not sure that is possible now that the SAG Awards have been announced.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
the UVA film screening was also the second festival to present the film in 35mm.
Nice, it's always nice to see a movie presented in 35mm [thumbsup]

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2014 10:58 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks,

Sue is nice to see a new black and white movie. Definately aided the movie with it's smalltown feel.

Enjoyed the movie.

Mike

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie a lot. Bruce Dern was perfect for this role and really owns it. But the lady who plays his wife is the real scene stealer. She's the best cranky foul-mouthed old lady since Ruth Gordon in "Every Which Way But Loose."

The scenes shot in Billings, Montana were cool to see since it's close to home for me. Some of the locations didn't make sense for someone who's familiar with the town (for example, the opening scenes show Dern walking west on Montana avenue; then the next time he's out walking, he's heading east on First Avenue North, which is about 5 miles in the opposite direction) but that's no different than Vancouver being passed off as Chicago, I guess.

Anyway, I liked the way it didn't "gloss over" small town life. Just about every small town has most, if not all of those characters represented.

I liked the music score too.

I noticed a distinct graininess to the image in some of the simpler landscape shots. Is this due to the cameras used or is it added later? It seemed to give the picture a real film-like look to me.

Anyway, I liked it much better than I expected to. 4 stars.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
But the lady who plays his wife is the real scene stealer.
I have to agree with Mike, June Squibb was great and she was a scene stealer, I think she deserves this years Oscar for supporting role.

I would also give Nebraska the screenplay award.

Cinematography was a weird one, I liked that it was black and white but I don't see why it deserved an Oscar nom for it. The score on the other hand was great and was nomination worthy even though it did not get one.

Bruce Dern was good but I don't see why everyone is jumping all over his performance.

I also liked it much better than I expected.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: