Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Free Birds

Author Topic: Free Birds
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2014 06:40 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pair of turkeys hijack a US government time machine to travel back to 1621 with a mission to interrupt the first thanksgiving celebration and thereby forever remove turkey from the Thanksgiving menu. Yep, it's a wacky plot alright and it speaks to the thoroughly silly fun which follows.

It's strange that Free Birds has arrived on Australian shores with practically zero promotion (I think I saw a trailer once), especially given the cast which includes Woody Harrelson, Owen Wilson, Amy Poehler, George Takei and Colm Meaney. Perhaps it's critical drubbing in the US had something to do with this. But US critics need to lighten up. If they left their Thanksgiving/colonialism/vegetarianism pretentiousness at the door in favour of having some fun they'd find that Free Birds is actually a chortle-fest from start to finish.

As is the fashion there's plenty of adult humour intermixed with the kiddie sight gags. Plentiful references to films such as Contact, Back To The Future and Raiders Of The Lost Ark abound and help to keep the "big" kids amused. The characters are likeable and funny and the references to colonialism, whilst there, are kept on the lite side so as not to bog down the fun.

Free Birds is solid, non-serious entertainment that is perfect holiday fodder for adults and kids alike. And it has one of the funniest post credit codas in a good long while.

8 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it advertised on bus/tram shelters here. I'm not so sure about the choice of tagline ("THE GREATEST TURKEY MOVIE OF ALL TIME") flying with Australian audiences, but I suppose the distributor must be happy with it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-12-2014 08:32 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My one-sheet said "Hold onto your nuggets!"

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ ... and squeeze REAL hard.

RT score 18 from critics / 48 from audiences -

"ouch"

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 11:22 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the critic response is brutal alright.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: