Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » American Hustle (2013)

Author Topic: American Hustle (2013)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-02-2014 06:57 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Too much perfume on nearby patron
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A guy and a girl meet at a pool party and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I CAN'T UNSEE THAT. Wackiness ensues.

The guy who brought us the awesome "Silver Linings Playbook" assembles a great cast and brings us...Scorsese Lite. A decent caper that pretty much constantly looks like it should be way more brilliant than it is.

Yeah...I'd hoped for better.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2014 07:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally I thought it was great, great ensemble cast, good script, good music soundtrack - I'd see it again.

better then the overbloated 'Wolf of Wall Street'

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2014 07:21 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
and brings us...Scorsese Lite.
That is funny [Big Grin]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If felt more Paul Thomas Anderson than Scorsese to me at times. David O Russel is still one of our best. It wsa surprisingly presented in the biggest auditorium(#8) of Regal Perimeter Point 10. The theater was mostly empty since the movie is a few weeks old. I am not complaining about the logic of using the largest auditorium since I got to enjoy the movie on a bigger screen than normal.

The image seemed a little soft, especially at the beginning, but I am guessing that was intentional on part of the filmmaker to get that 70s/80s look.

I personally thought the ending was little too tidy. But the rest of the movie would make it one of the best I have seen this year. Certainly the best directed as all the actors put in their best performances of the year. Jennifer Lawrence was so convincing as an annoying bitch, my blood pressure went up whenever she showed up on screen. At first, it seemed like Bale was channeling James Brolin with the look, but soon I got over that comparison. I thought Bradley Cooper was pretty damn good. Don't know if they gave him darker colored contacts at times. His eyes seemed to change color with scenes. Amy Adams: didn't think she could pull off such a role and she did pull it off. Supporting nod should be given to the way her cleavage was displayed.

I can't say if this is the best picture for sure. But this should certainly get David O Russell serious consideration for best director as the movie had a lot of nice little touches with the actors in the background.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 10:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
won Golden Globes tonight in the following catagories:

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Actress In A Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: Amy Adams

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it this evening. American Hustle was pretty good, a little long and dragging at times but still good. I think it is still very tough to say if it is best picture worthy, I think not.

Both Cooper and Lawrence were pretty good but I felt they acted a little too much like their Silver Lining characters. Amy Adams was very good, deserving of an Oscar perhaps but I doubt she will be recognized for it seeing that Cate Blanchett looks like she has the award all wrapped up.

Not the best picture of the year IMO.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: