Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Frozen (2013)

Author Topic: Frozen (2013)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-08-2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frozen continues Disney's surprising comeback in the animation field.

The company's newest renaissance, which started with "The Princess and the Frog" continues with "Frozen," which has a story based loosely on Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen." While "Frozen" is not quite as good as "Tangled" or quite as inventive as "Wreck-It Ralph," it still carries enough Disney magic in it to make it a huge success with the family crowd.

The story is standard Disney fairytale lore: A princess, Elsa, has mysterious powers that can conjure up wintery snowscapes anytime, anywhere; but she sometimes has a hard time controlling her power. After an accident which nearly kills her younger sister Anna, Elsa and her "secret" are kept away from everyone in an effort to keep the powers from getting out of control. But that happens anyway, of course, so she flees to the mountains, not realizing she's plunged her kingdom into an eternal winter. It's up to Anna to go find her and convince her to bring back summer (and with any luck, fall in love and live happily ever after along the way).

The movie has two stars: The snow itself, and Olaf, a snowman who was brought to life by Elsa and provides comic relief. The story and the characters are a little pedestrian, but in that classic feels-good Disney way. There are lots of songs, just like in the most-beloved Disney films; a nice twist ending; a handsome prince and not one but two princesses. (If nothing else, Disney will probably make back their investment on this film just in toys and costumes.)

The animation is outstanding. You can really tell that the filmmakers did their homework in studying the behavior of snow, when it falls, tumbles and crumbles. The 3-D effects are quite good, but the whole snow-and-ice atmosphere of this movie really looks better in 2-D where the dazzlingly white snowscapes really sparkle.

The voice actors do an excellent job overall. Josh Gad, as Olaf, the snowman who dreams of being able to someday experience "summer," is hilarious. Kristin Bell (Anna) is funny and charming; she has the more independent/brave style of more recent Disney heroines, while the men in the story are relegated mostly to buffoon status. But Jonathan Groff (Kristoff) handles this well, coming off as an Owen Wilson-type character with quite a few comic touches of his own.

We had outstanding crowds the first few days, with some people coming two and three times and everyone raving that it's the best Disney movie they have seen in decades. So, I got "over-hyped" and was expecting to be blown away when we finally got to sit and watch it.

I wasn't blown away, but I was duly impressed. Frozen fires on most cylinders and delivers the goods, even if they're slightly retread in spots. Disney didn't really hit a home run here, but it's a solid three-bagger and people are loving it, so from me it gets 4 out of 5 stars.

An extra added attraction is "Get a Horse!" which is a cartoon short preceding the feature. This little thing has some of the best use of 3-D I've ever seen. In fact, a person in a multiplex would do well to go ahead and buy a 3-D ticket, watch the short in 3-D, and then go to a 2-D show for the main feature.

It starts out like a classic black-and-white cartoon starring old-school Mickey Mouse, who manages to tick-off bad guy Pegleg Pete, who proceeds to throw Mickey straight through the movie screen and into the theater. Mickey then has to use whatever means necessary to rescue Minnie from Pegleg Pete. I won't go into all the details, you just need to see it. In 3-D, that is. Out of all the shorts that have preceded animated movies since Pixar made that idea fashionable again, this is one of the best.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-08-2013 09:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I afraid I will have to differ with you about the use of 3--D in FROZEN, Mike. Like TANGLED, THE 3-D was excellent and that is the way to see it. In fact several critics said it was the best way to see the movie and one even said "Like GRAVITY, FROZEN, should only be seen in 3-D". Based on his comment, it made me want to see the movie even more and of course in 3-D.

I am glad we both agree about the use of 3-D in the Micky Mouse short.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2013 11:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe I'm just biased toward's anything that Idina Menzel does, but the scene and song 'Let it Go' was just outstanding.

the 3D was really cool during the forming/attacks with flying ice and the chase on the frozen ice at the end... "wow!"

all in all though, this movie surprised the hell out of me. thankfully the snowman was kept to a minimum.

oh and there's a tad bit of extra footage after the credits and a funny disclaimer that 'not ALL men eat their boogers' during the end crawl that's a hoot.

the pre-film short 'Get A Horse' was a riot.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2013 06:01 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following their adaptation of Rapunzel with Tangled in 2010, Disney Studios turn their very liberal adaptation skills to Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen with Frozen. In typical Disney style, the result bears only the most fundamental hallmarks of the source material but when the product is as good as Tangled, honestly, who cares? Frozen isn't as good as Tangled but it's not far off the mark.

Frozen's lineage to Tangled couldn't be more clear. It follows similar themes; it has an identical suite of characters; and it's rendered using the same animation engine. This instantly recognisable association with the film's predecessor works in Frozen's favour as it screams "quality entertainment" and, for the most part, it is right.

Frozen continues Disney's recent inclination to challenge it's own traditional tropes. Tangled challenged the traditional submissive imprisoned female waiting to be rescued; Frozen challenges the notion of love at first site. In what is Frozen's best moment, Princess Anna (Kristen Bell) attempts to explain the merits of meeting a man, falling in love, and pledging marriage all in the space of a day, to incredulous commoner, Kristoff (Jonathan Groff). Kristoff doesn't buy it. This modernising move by Disney can only be seen as a good thing.

Frozen's weakness, however, is that it follows the Tangled formula to the letter and lacks it's own originality as a result. It's all just a little bit too "samey" and I don't mean in terms of it's animation style. Frozen's theme song reminds us just a little too much of When Will My Life Begin from Tangled, for instance. And all the supporting characters are the same except that Olaf the snowman isn't as charming Pascal the frog; Sven the reindeer isn't as charming as Maximilian the horse; and Kristoff isn't as charming as Flynn Rider. Sadly, Disney's long tradition of morbidly sticking with tried and true formulae is one trope they seem less inclined to forego.

But this is only Disney's second round of milking this particular cow and so, for this moment, it still gets away with it. The next serving, however, will be noticeably colder.

8 out of 10

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2014 10:52 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
won 'Best Animated Feature Film' at tonight's Golden Globe awards. but given there were only two other films in the category - this win was a no brainer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-14-2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is a genuine hit all the way around. It's now grossed $317 million domestically, and even the soundtrack album is #1 on the charts this week (and expected to stay there for next week, according to Billboard). Even our booker, who is usually a very good predictor, underestimated it...he said it looked like a possible $200 million film. I don't think anybody ever dreamed it would hit $300M+.

This shows what happens when you have a good movie with a good marketing campaign, as opposed to a mediocre movie with a good marketing campaign. (And the lack of other family titles in recent times certainly hasn't hurt!)

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-17-2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frozen (retitled as Anna and the Show Queen) just opened in roadshow on the 14th in Japan, in 2D and 3D, and in Japanese or English dub. Here's "Let It Go" as sung by Takako Matsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QZ1poicuB2s

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ Sounds great in any language!

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite part of "Get a Horse" is when the theater screen in the cartoon spins and you can see the speaker arrays behind it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: