Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Enough Said

Author Topic: Enough Said
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2013 07:00 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no intention of seeing Enough Said. I'm not a divorcee; I've never had to recover from a relationship bust up; I don't have a teenage daughter; and I'm not in my fifties. There seems so little for me to relate to. But I found myself itching to see a movie with only a small window of opportunity at my disposal and this film was the only session which fitted that window. Enough Said is a big surprise.

On the surface of it, Enough Said looks like a film for fogies but the truth is that anybody mature enough to have spent a few years in a relationship will be able to relate to what goes on here. Various relationships are presented from genesis to destruction and the politics and perceptions of interpersonal relationships are accurately and amusingly portrayed with a good measure of humour to ensure that the drama - which naturally accompanies such proceedings - does not collapse under a deluge of wrist-slitting depression.

Performances from the two leads, Julia Louis-Drefus and James Gandolfini are excellent. The rapport between them is warm and funny and their matching couldn't be better. Gandolfini, in particular, is excellent in his second last role; a portrait of tenderness from such a big guy is a rare treat. Toni Collete has a small role but, as is normal for her, she makes every minute count. In fact, her performances generally are so uniformly great she could probably throw in a few crap ones just to keep things interesting.

The film ends nicely on a note of hope and happiness which is predictable to be sure but the project as a whole is handled so deftly that the journey to the inevitable conclusion is a thoroughly enjoyable one.

8 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2013 07:20 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good review, I might actually see this movie.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: