Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Wizard of Oz (1939) IMAX 3D REISSUE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Wizard of Oz (1939) IMAX 3D REISSUE
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2013 08:07 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Tyson's Corner 16, McLean, VA
9/21/2013, 4:05 pm show
Auditorium #3
Presented in IMAX Digital 3D, 2K
Issues: Most inherit of the DCP itself. Projector showed a pink screen before, and a green screen after the film. There was one instance where the right eye was blank for a few frames.

This movie doesn't need any explanation. It's The g-dd--n Wizard of motherf---in' Oz, the Victor Fleming/Judy Garland film. I won't review the movie itself, but the experience. The film obviously would earn its highest rating from me except my personal bias on a couple of stupid songs and the slight melodrama. So it gets a 9.5/10.

Firstly, the restoration was fantastic but spotty on the sepia opening 20 minutes of the film. There was some grain that looked like video noise, and I'm not sure if it's just noise or film grain. The three-strip Technicolor portion which takes up most of the film were drop-dead goregous. I noticed things I may have not noticed before, and such clarity shows the dated makeup and effects. But not all was clear. There were horrible instances of aliasing, not the kind of 2K-blown-to-huge-screen aliasing, but the bad kind. There was one instance of edge enhancement on a Kansas wooden fence. Little DNR on the Wizard's face, it looked like. In other words, it looked like a Blu-ray master blown to 2K.

Film transfer: 7/10

The 3D was nowhere near as fantastic as the conversion done for Jurassic Park. It messed with my vision. No, not really, it didn't. But it was mediocre in the most mediocre way possible. There was some depth, some cut-outs. Minute amount of ghosting, but more so than JP. Almost every time a shot dissolves to another, the depth map is applied to the shot that dissolved, so the shot that it is dissolving into has the incorrect depth mapping until the dissolving is finished. It was weird, and a bit blurry. The 3D was disappointing but that was expected. Wizard is a 2D film at heart.

3D: 5/10

The sound was loud with limited dynamic range, the latter is expected. The 6.0 IMAX mix is faithful to its mono origins with 90% dedication to the center channel. There was hissing in some moments, everything was a tad bit harsh. Could be the IMAX standard or little-to-no compensation for the Academy curve. Certain moments made me cringe, such as the Tin Man moving his mouth for the first time. Ugh... Horrible sound. The aspect of this sound mix which fails was the attempt to make a retrospectively-weak bunch of audio elements and make then more than they are. There were some added bass moments like when the house lands in Oz. Kind of revisionist, but faithful in practice.

Sound: 5/10

And a generic theater experience story. I was getting my ticket but since the IMAX in Tyson's now has reserved seating, I obviously had to pick a seat. I am used to the touch screens at Cobb that allow you to pick the seats for yourself, but Tyson's is a generation behind when it comes to this. You are shown a screen without touch with the available seats, but you have to ask the cashier which seats you want instead of touching them. Worst of all, the resolution on the screen was so low you couldn't read which seats were which. I pointed my selection to her, but she couldn't see where my finger was pointing. For the first few times she picked the wrong seats, as I kept on correcting her, she still didn't select them. Finally, she realized she was on the wrong side and selected the correct seats for me. I wouldn't blame her, AMC needs to step their game up!

It was crowded and parents took their kids to see it. Too much popcorn-munching and bag-wrestling behind me, kids were asking questions. I paid $18.50 and I get this?! So much for a last resort theater.

Is WoOz in 3D worth it? Nope, unless you like the film very much.

Overall moviegoing experience: 5/10

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2013 08:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the Blu-ray will cost more than $100. I guess whatever studio is responsible for this assumes that people who like this movie are idiots. Same goes for releasing it in IMAX 3D. It just seems so silly.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2013 09:16 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the sing-a-long version last year at Oscars Outdoors. The songs were subtitled, people (not me) sang along, it was a beautiful summer evening. When it was over, I didn't feel anything was missing at all, certainly not Toto jumping at me from the screen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-21-2013 10:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a real thing or someone's idea of a sad joke? If it's real, please shoot me now.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like nobody in Europe is playing this, nor has any intention to do so...

quote: Joe Redifer
I heard that the Blu-ray will cost more than $100.
?!!

Does it also include a certificate of pretentiousness?

quote: Connor Wilson
There was some grain that looked like video noise, and I'm not sure if it's just noise or film grain.
That's one of the biggest issues I see with 2K transfers, film grain often looks like digital noise afterwards and Digital IMAX blows it entirely out of proportion. I hate the look of digital noise, which has been around since the very first generation of CCD-based cameras.

quote: Connor Wilson
Almost every time a shot dissolves to another, the depth map is applied to the shot that dissolved, so the shot that it is dissolving into has the incorrect depth mapping until the dissolving is finished. It was weird, and a bit blurry.
That sounds really awful and clumsy. Cross-fading between scenes isn't something that's compatible with 3D, but maybe they could have solved it by fading out the 3D depth map of the vanishing shot and fading it in on the new shot?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2013 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Blu-Ray, the 3D edition retails for $35.99 and is available as low as $25.11.

There is a $100 set with 5-discs that also includes:

-52 pg Hardcover Photo Book
-Ruby Slippers Sparkle Globe
-Collectible Award Pin Set by The Noble Collection
-Journal
-Frameable Map of Oz

Amazon exclusive Promotional Item:
-4 GB "Wicked Witch of the East" flash drive

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who decides which pins are collectible and which aren't? It seems to me most things designated "collectible" are, in reality, accumulatible by the seriously gullible.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 07:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I had stated at another thread I started the other day on this topic, I never cared too much for THE WIZARD OF OZ but had decided to see the movie after the positive critic's review of how good the 3-D conversion is in IMAX Originally, I had deep reservations on how a 1939 movie could be converted to impressive 3-D like TITANIC and JURASSIC PARK was but I was going to see for myself how good it is but after reading Connor Wilson's review, I changed my mind about seeing it. Normally, I do not let other people's opinion about a movie sway me , but Connor made a lot of sense when he gave a negative review of the 3-D conversion and lukewarm comments about the sound. I already have the movie on a blu ray disc that came out several years ago and the picture and sound quality is excellent so that is enough WIZARD OF OZ for me.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Who decides which pins are collectible and which aren't? It seems to me most things designated "collectible" are, in reality, accumulatible by the seriously gullible.
Yep, if it says "collectible" on it, it's never going to really be a collectible. Especially if it's a reproduction of something from years previous.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2013 08:36 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does one determine if a map is frameable?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2013 01:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always get a laugh out of the phrase "suitable for framing." Almost everything can be framed if you throw some creativity/money at it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-24-2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to think of stuff cannot be easily framed. Stuff like an elephant, an oil freighter or an M. Night Shyamalan shot... but that's all just beginner stuff for die-hard framers when considering to frame a black hole...

On another note, does anybody know a venue in or around Europe that will be showing this?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-24-2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the shoemakers, Vinny and Luigi:

"Youze guys got nuttin' on us! It's a dirty frame!"

[Big Grin]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2013 09:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this also over at Tysons this morning - thankfully it was only two of us in the audience and only once did I hear my fellow patron ever so slightly nosh on his popcorn. I had used an accrued Amazon stubs $10 credit bumping it down to $3 out of the pocket - booyah!!

Given the 3D conversion was done by the folk who did the first Clash of the Titans (remake) and SW: The Phantom Menace - two films not well converted - I was actually quite surprised how well they did with this film.

Closeups looked great, and the scenes that worked well in 3D were the poppyfield sequence, the walk down the corridor towards the Wizard's chamber, the closeup of the witch as she is flying in the air, writing 'surrender dorothy', the flying monkey attack. I did not notice any ghosting.

The one thing I did note that I didn't particularly care for is that some long shots the image looked a tad smeary and ever so slightly out of focus. One wonders if this flaw would be non-existent if and when IMAX-D's 2D resolution is changed over to laser's 4K resolution.

As for the sound, it was too loud and strident. It all seemed treble tweeked and could have been easily turned down a notch.

All in all though, I quite enjoyed the 'IMAX' experience (aside from the minor PQ issues). It was ingenious to have the IMAX 'numbers' count down intro in sepia tone.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Scott Wilkinson's review of his Oz experience at the newly-renovated TCL Chinese IMAX. He is more in the know of the exhibition business than I am, so I will take his word for it. He says that the DCP used for The Wizard of Oz IMAX 3D was in 4K, but projected through their 2K projectors because at the moment they have "superior contrast." Is it even possible to make a 3D movie in 4K on a DCP? I know for sure the DCI spec can only do 3D in 2K, but is digital IMAX any different?

Let's just assume for a while that the DCP was indeed 4K and 3D, as crazy as it sounds. Do you think the downscaling of 4K to 2K by the projectors caused the aliasing when I saw Oz? 4K content can play really well in 2K projectors as I have seen Lincoln projected with a Barco 2K machine. The movie itself was a noticeable increase in quality from the presumably 2K trailers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: