Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Riddick

Author Topic: Riddick
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-20-2013 06:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a question about Riddick. Either I missed something major (most likely) or there is a tremendous plot hole in this movie.

When Riddick is chained up and the chap with the sword is about to execute him (with everyone else standing around watching), nobody knows where Riddick has hidden those battery packs that they need to get the space ships going again. Therefore, if they let that chap go ahead and kill Riddick (as everyone is quite prepared to do at that moment), everyone else is going to be stranded on that planet.

Killing Riddick seems to be a really bad idea at that point, but none of the folks that are standing around seems to realize that.

What did I miss here?

|  IP: Logged

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2013 07:55 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, the emergency beacon was still operational.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-21-2013 01:19 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that was the case, why was it such a big deal that those two "nodes" went missing in the first case?

Additionally... who designs a SPACE ship with such lack of redundancy anyway? What when one of those "nodes" fail in outer space?

And... Pulling this one "node" out of the space ship also disables all long range communications?

I could probably go on forever on this one.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen

Additionally... who designs a SPACE ship with such lack of redundancy anyway?

What, you never saw "Apollo 13?" [Big Grin]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-21-2013 04:30 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Apollo 13 did have three redundant fuel cells, nobody accounted for explosions to happen though [Wink]

So, experimental designs of about 40 years ago do have more redundancy than far-in-the-future space-age technology.

Heck, even modern drone technology would do a better job at finding Riddick than that eye-on-a-clunky-robot-arm they were using in this stupid movie.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2013 09:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there seemed to be quite a few plotholes with this movie, also the rape scene that abruptly ends/goes nowhere.

word is that the home video release will be an expanded director's cut with some 10-17 minutes put back into the film to make it seem less jumpy than the theatrical cut.

I quite liked the first half of the film , it reminded me of 'A Boy and his Dog' and 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars'

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: