Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The World's End (2013)

Author Topic: The World's End (2013)
John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2013 04:50 AM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot
A man who stopped mentally aging at 19 recruits his old friends to redo an epic pub crawl they attempted and failed 20 years before. Along the way, they accidentally discover an alien robot invasion.

What I saw
Lots and lots of Edgar Wright banter, plenty of stupid(ly awesome) action, banter, aliens, robots, banter, drunkenness, banter, and more banter. Oh, and some banter as well. But that's not necessarily a bad thing…

The result
I am a huge fan of anything Edgar Wright. His direction is very fast paced and lots of fun. He and Pegg also have a knack for writing funny, witty dialogue. Yeah, at least 60% of this movie was just regular conversation, but who cares? It was hard to listen to any of it without cracking up at some point. I would never forgive this much chit chat any other movie, but if Pegg and Wright are the ones responsible for it, they get free ride.

The action took its time showing up, but when it arrived, it delivered. The fights against the "blanks" were incredibly wacky and plain ol' awesome. I love how creepy those things were when they weren't on the prowl too.

I set my expectations pretty high for this movie, and it did not let me down. I really hope this doesn't mark the end of the collaboration between Wright, Pegg, Frost, and co. I enjoyed both of the previous Cornetto films, and this one just made me want more.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-24-2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Council Bluffs 17, Council Bluffs, IA
AUDITORIUM: 16
PRESENTATION: Digital something something digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

This former Star Cinema has been remodeled into a much more AMC-like building. Corridors and auditorium entrances are all modern AMC decor now. The concessions have been redone and include Coke Freestyle machines. And the auditoriums have lost their quirky white tiles in favor of black. Oh...and they've removed the old seats and put in the motorized recliners. That's no small feat. They had to make each row longer and they put up partitions between the rows with glass tops. Looks pretty damn swanky. All seating is reserved now too.

I don't quite get the whole recliner thing. You're lowering your seat count per auditorium and, at least here, there's no admission increase. And I'm still not sold on these as a customer. It's nice to have your feet up for awhile, but if you don't want your feet up, you can't recline the back and you're sitting up too stiffly. I just don't see a winner here.

THE PLOT: A guy living in the past drags his old friends along for the ride. Wackiness ensues.

I'll say it right now...Everyone is going to like this way better than I did. I'm just not into sad drunk tales, and I just don't see why people hold onto the past like this. So this was a borefest for me until the "blanks" thing got going, but by then I was too tired to care.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-24-2013 11:48 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I think you meant to say:

quote:
This former Star Cinema has been remodeled into a much more AMC-like building. Wackiness ensues.
[Big Grin]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-25-2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally should have thought of that. [beer]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2013 07:46 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REgal Perimeter Pointe 10 , Atlanta, GA.
Screen# 9

One of the midsized screens. BUt I didn't care as these days I am just happy to get a bright picture in these multiplexes where a lot of the REgal big screens in Atlanta seem underlit(Screen 4 in this multiplex and pretty much every Regal Hollywood big screen).
I do notice that Regal does not even bother to adjust the masking for 2.35:1 movies in the common height screens.
So you get a letterbox effect.

I enjoyed the movie. I liked Shaun of the Dead and Paul(not Edgar Wright direction) better. But I liked this better than Hot Fuzz.

Pretty bad timing coming off the very similarly named "this is the End" with just the american version of this cast and this came in without much marketing.

I think it dealt with topics of arrested development really well in a fun way. Let's face it. A lot of us have the same problem to varying degrees or know someone like that. I thnk that's why a lot of film geeks and comic book geeks like Edgar Wright and Pegg's movies. It's not just about funny quips alone.

An interesting interview with the director Wright:
quote:
assume you're going to hold on for dear life to Bill Pope?

Wright: Oh, I love him! I think he's going to do the next one, which is great. The question is can I hold on to doing celluloid? That will be my next struggle. I stuck my heels into shooting this on 35mm. We even shot 16mm for the prologue, spherical for the day scenes, and when it gets into night and starts getting paranoid it turns into anamorphic because there are a lot of in-camera lights. And then we went back to spherical at the end. So we ended up using three different film stocks. I hope it's not the last hurrah for celluloid because that would be a very sad day.

Beaks: It'll be interesting to see if anyone can hold on. We'll see what Quentin does on his next one.

Wright: Quentin, as far as I know, has been stockpiling film. (Laughs) I think Quentin has all the Fuji stock.

Beaks: Who are the other holdouts?

Wright: Nolan. I think J.J. is going to try to shoot STAR WARS on film. What's funny is the film this year that made me think, "Oh, maybe digital is pretty good" was actually shot on 35mm. It was SPRING BREAKERS.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2013 09:14 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun, Ashburn, VA
8/29/2013, 7:00 pm show
Auditorium #3
Presented in Sony 4K
Issues: None.

My first Edgar Wright film, and it won't certainly be my last. Simon Pegg plays an immature as well as interesting man named Gary King who rallies his four other friends for a pub crawl they failed 20 years prior. Like "This is The End" but much better. While this summer was ending with a note lower than its predecessor, "The World's End" came and surprised everyone. Now I can safely say I thoroughly enjoyed a movie this summer other than "Pacific Rim."

Rating: 9 out of 10

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: