Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » R.I.P.D. [2013]

Author Topic: R.I.P.D. [2013]
John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2013 01:08 AM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot
Ryan Reynolds dies and joins the dead police, only to be partnered up with Grade-A certified Smart-Ass Jeff Bridges.

What I saw
Cheesy dialogue, over-the-top action, a plot that makes little to no sense at all, and an overall feeling that they really didn't care about taking anything seriously at all…

The result
…and I loved every minute of it. This movie kicked ass! It's the type of bad where the creators seemed to accept that it's bad from the start and just work with it. Every potentially awesome moment was over-emphasized to be as badass as possible, and Jeff Bridges almost always has some snarky response to follow.

This movie really reminded me of Drive Angry, except the lead characters tried even less to take anything seriously at all. That being said, I loved Drive Angry, and I love R.I.P.D. for the same reason: it's so bad that it's just great. Definitely recommended for some stupid fun.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2013 09:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used my MoviePass (Discover) card for this film, which unfortunately doesn't allow me to purchase the 3D presentations of the film - from what I saw, the use of slow-mo, almost still imagery at certain points of the film - the 3D conversion must look pretty cool. AND since it was a miday 'mothers w/children' Regal screening the audio was also turned down a smidgen... so suffice to say, I know I could have seen it in 3D (and louder) - but I thought it was rather entertaining, not great, but still fun.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-22-2013 03:42 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just me or was this just a blatant M.I.B. ripoff?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: