Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Despicable Me 2 (2013)

Author Topic: Despicable Me 2 (2013)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2013 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie lacks the surprises of the first one, necessarily -- but makes up for it in its clever writing and slapstick humor.

Dreamworks movies tend to be overly manic and goofy. Pixar, lately, seems to be coasting on its past successes (but looks to be gearing up for a good run in the next couple of years).

Illumination Entertainment, via Universal, has struck a nice balance of crazy action and heartwarming sentiment, without overburdening the proceedings with an unnecessary "message." I was also quite pleased that this movie didn't end with an open-ended cliffhanging blatant plug for "Despicable Me 3" (the big hint for "The Minion Movie" at the end happens after the story and doesn't count).

The funniest parts of the movie, as expected, come courtesy of the Minions. Illumination has hit the jackpot with these guys. The fact that they have "ordinary" names like Kevin, Steve, etc. cracks me up every time.

There's no better guy to play Gru than Steve Carell. He manages to put more humanity in the role than most of the other movie "heroes" of late have done. He also does the best "exasperated, put-upon hero" ever.

The main story is almost as much fun as the one in the previous movie, although this film tends to have more of a disjointed feel than the original. Even so, it's great fun and provides plenty of incentive for repeat viewings. The 3-D effects are great as expected, with another Minion-fueled ending sequence that's hilarious.

The movie also has a fine ending, with a nice little tear-jerker moment directly followed by a rollicking song that sends the little tykes out of the theater dancing, and their parents happy that they've spent their money on a fun family experience. In other words, just what the doctor ordered.

3.5 out of four stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a big movie week for me (two in a week and both times with "others").

Based on word of mouth, we saw this one over MU (though we eventually saw MU the following day).

I gotta say, this movie did almost nothing for me. Yes, the Minions are fun...how can they not be? It is a little more high-brow than MU but really, it doesn't rise to the level of a major release and could have been a direct to video.

3 out of 10 for me.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2013 09:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think seeing this with a large audience of kids helped to a certain extent - but largely a rather pointless money grabbing opportunity for Universal. A pretty insipid script and story.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: