Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Oblivion (2013)

Author Topic: Oblivion (2013)
Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-13-2013 06:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oblivion tries to take all the good parts from science fiction of the past 50 or so years. Take a bit of Moon (2009), a bite of Portal (the game by Valve), a chunk of Star Wars (in one scene, I really thought Darth Vader would do a cameo). Add some 2001 to spice it all up and also pour in a few drops of Scientology. Blend for about 30 seconds and ready is your Oblivion.

Most kudos go to the art and CGI departments (a lot of pointless, yet still breathtaking visuals). No kudos for directing, story/script writing and acting.

|  IP: Logged

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2013 08:28 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be the first of a long string of projects to be influenced by Duncan Jones' Moon? Oblivion apes many of the narrative ideas present in Jones' impressive feature debut but largely shirks it's philosophical queries in what is a Hollywoodised (i.e. simplified) projection of Jones' story. This is perhaps a good thing, however, given director Joseph Kosinski's less than successful attempts to inject a philosophical edge into his previous film, TRON: Legacy. Oblivion, by contrast, keeps the metaphysical lite and is a fine piece of holiday sci-fi entertainment as result, albeit untaxing of the mind.

The film's narrative is admirably even-paced (relative to other Hollywood sci-fi), refraining from high octane action-a-minute in favour of a slow build story which steadily drops enough intriguing crumbs to keep you hooked until the end. Some glaring oversights exist in some of the film's details but the broad story is sufficiently intriguing and entertaining to easily surmount these minor flaws. The alien invader remains admirably unseen, smartly ducking the temptation for CGI or putting people in rubber suits to give some unrealistic corporeal form to the alien menace.

A clear benefit from the prior TRON's legacy is the carrying over of it's production designer, Darren Gilford, whose work on Oblivion is just as marvellous and gives the film a Minority Report-like quality. The film will do well in setting him up as Hollywood's future sci-fi goto guy.

Tom Cruise is fine as the film's hero as is the rest of the cast which also includes Morgan Freeman. The truth is, both can perform these roles in their sleep and still deliver a fine result.

Despite being a pale shadow of the film it is so clearly influenced by, Oblivion is a highly entertaining movie in the mould of Minority Report which ought to satisfy all but the hard-core sci-fi fans.

8 out of 10

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cobb Village 12, Leesburg, VA
4/20/2013, 4:00 pm show
Auditorium #8
Presented in Barco 2K, Dolby 7.1
Issues: Framing cut off half of the "A Comcast Company" byline in the Universal logo.

This is possibly the first true science-fiction film of the year. Great production design and sound mix, but lacking in direction and storyline. As others mentioned, this film is like a blend of Moon, WALL-E, and 2001 (as well as other films) combined. This film is actually slower-paced than expected, and I like slow-paced films. The story seemed to go nowhere and I couldn't really follow it. But a nice outing to the movies for $9.50 a ticket and yet another almost-flawless presentation at Cobb.

P.S. Morgan Freeman barley does anything in this movie. A profound waste of talent.

Rating: 6 out of 10

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped into 2-screen theater last nite (4/20) that was playing 'Oblivion'
in one auditorium, and a "Cheech & Chong" movie in the other.

I went in and told them they should change their marquee to read:
"Oblivion" & "Oblivious"

-jc-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: