Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Carrie (2013)

Author Topic: Carrie (2013)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-10-2013 11:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been pushed back to October now, but I feel qualified to review it already because the new trailer gives away pretty much the entire freaking story, except possibly the very end when Carrie's hand reaches out of the ground. To be completely fair, the 1976 trailer gives away a lot too, but for some reason it comes off as much scarier and creepier than the 2013 version does.

This looks like your basic by-the-numbers remake, by which I mean it's closer to the original movie than it is to the book. (I've read the original book and didn't like it, but the first movie was one of the few horror movies I actually liked and still do.)

The actors seem to do a credible job, although the two leads are definitely no match for Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie.

The bottom line is, it looks about like you would expect a 1976 movie to look with 2013 special effects. I would expect this will perform well -- today's high school kids will probably eat it up, inferior remake or not.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2013 03:38 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much like the young have eaten up the Evil Dead remake. Seems like Carrie was remade in the late 90s, so this could be the third remake.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original movie was available for free on Amazon Prime, so I watched it last night. It struck me that in reality it's not a "horror" movie but more of a suspense movie. There are really only two scenes of horror in the film; the prom scene, and the scene later on when Carrie
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

"brings down the house" so to speak. The most famous scene in the movie, the prom disaster, only runs about five or six minutes.

This leads me to be curious how they're going to handle the remake, when they're definitely promoting it as a horror movie and it's going to have to appeal to today's bloodthirsty fans who have all seen the original. I'll bet the prom scene runs at least twice as long and they'll find far more gory ways for the various kids to get axed. (Including an ax, I'll bet!)

I remember running the original movie in '76 or '77...it was fun to be in the projection booth at the very end when that "sting" happened; you could hear the scream and feel the floor shake in the booth.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. In those BV days (Before Video) we had nearly a full house for most of our engagements; this one was better than average -- at least 1500 college kids for each show. The roar when the sting happenes was better than the End of Reel bell.

Piper Laurie was just perfect for the role and a great come-back performance for her. "His breath would sink of alcohol and he would take me....and I liked it...I LIKED IT!" Great delivery!

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Carrie 2 back in the late 1990s, but it wasn't a sequel in any way, shape or form other than slipping Amy Irving in a scene or two as Sue Snell to allow some kind of "continuation."

This new Carrie will be cool for about seventeen hours on its opening night before following the path of practically every horror movie released in the past couple decades. Opening day always the busiest, ready to move in to a smaller house by Sunday, pretty much out of theatres by week four.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: