Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Croods (2013)

Author Topic: The Croods (2013)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those animated movies that falls into the "3-D extravaganza" category. Which means that while it has a story, it's so slim that it could have taken place in a 7-minute cartoon.

It's your basic "daughter wants to see the world, Dad says no, daughter goes out anyway and meets a guy, Dad finally comes around" kind of story. In other words, it's "Finding Nemo" without the heart or humor. Aside from the story being no great shakes, the characters are about as one-dimensional as they come. If a movie is good, we'll go home quoting funny lines and cool scenes to each other; that didn't happen with this movie.

The real main reason for the movie to exist is to display lots of 3-D effects, which are indeed excellent. This will keep the kids (and parents) jumping and dodging for most of the 90 minutes. The sound mix is also very good especially in the earthquake scenes.

The jokes, gags and "dodge" scenes come so think and fast that it's hard to process them, but I counted at least two or three visual jokes that were lifted whole from Looney Tunes.

The writing is fairly bad, with the best illustration coming in a scene from the trailer. When the daughter is wearing her first pair of shoes, she screams "OOOOOOOHHH! I LOVE THEM!" This is funny, but then she says: "Where are my feet?" which is ridiculously dumb. A much better line would have been "I need to get some more!"

Overall, I was entertained but not enthralled. My wife liked it somewhat better than I did.

2 out of 5 stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-29-2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a big charge out of The Croods. The egg stealing scenes were the best parts, with capturing the big bird and having it turn into a roasted turkey a close second.

I love the way that the Croods move, galloping around on all fours when "hunting".

And whaddaya mean, there were no memorable lines in the movie? What about "Release the baby!" and "Can't you guys move at any speed faster than wander? At this point I would even settle for shamble."

The movie is definitely a visual extravaganza, and some of the visual gags are great, like the old lady with the stilt walker.

It ain't the meaning of life, but it is a pretty darn good movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2013 09:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just wish for more story from these movies. I guess I've been spoiled by Pixar and (to a lesser extent) some of the Dreamworks movies.

I will give you the stilt walker, that was funny.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 08:55 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the sloth pulling a shiv on the grandma was hilarious. He might have been the funniest character in the movie.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Directed and written by Chris Sanders (along with John Cleese and Kirk De Micco who also co-directed), The Croods has some fine pedigree. Sanders also scribed and directed How To Train Your Dragon and although The Croods is not quite on par with the quality of that film, it is still an impressively entertaining effort.

The exciting action scenes are imbued with some nice production design containing an assortment of fun fictional prehistoric animals such as whale hippos, elephant mice and owl cats which appeal to kids, adults and the films animators alike. The characterisations are nicely rounded and likeable and the "taking risks reaps rewards" theme makes it a worthy watch for children.

The only black mark on the film is the casting of Nic Cage whose voicework is so distinctive and identifiable that it pulls you out of the fantasy of the movie.

That aside, however, The Croods is about all you could ask for in holiday entertainment.

7.5 out of 10

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is the first Dreamworks 3D movie that to me, looks so missable.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-08-2013 04:55 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Croods, a.k.a. Dreamworks' Ice Age.

Given the team that had their hands on this, it is rather disappointing that the basic story is nothing more than: The world is going to end, we gotta run!

Nevertheless, the "prehistoric" setting with all its fictitious mixed-up flora and fauna really is hilarious. I guess that's the John Cleese factor in this movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the basic story is nothing more than: The world is going to end, we gotta run!
To be fair that's really not what it's about. That's just the backdrop.

The story is thin but it's not THAT thin! [Smile]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-08-2013 06:00 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
To be fair that's really not what it's about. That's just the backdrop.
Ok, let's call it the backbone on which the other rather trivial story elements are bolted onto. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: