Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Amour (Love) 2012

Author Topic: Amour (Love) 2012
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A film from France; screenplay and direction by Michael Haneke, starring Jean Louis Trintiquant and Emmannuela Riva, (English subtitles).

This is a love story of two elderly musicians faced with a crisis common to those of us who may have confronted health problems of aged parents or other loved ones. It is handled with exceptional sensitivity by the writer/director, the cinematographer and the superb actors.

The trailer I found boring and misleading; the film is extraordinarily riveting, realistic and beautiful, and much credit goes to the editors and makeup artists.

The camera holds on shots for unusual lengths of time, sometimes going to monochrome and nearly opaque black to convey subjectivity or to introduce dream states or halucinations.
The tiniest gestures and expressions are full of meaning.
This is a magnificent adult film for sensitive filmgoers.

AMOUR has been nominated for 5 Oscars, and has won 30 other awards and 28 nominations.

At the Kew Gardens Theatre (Queens) Screen 2, Feb.13,2013

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I saw the movie before I saw the US trailers and I was wondering how Sony would create a trailer 'to sell' the movie to the masses - they failed in my opinion.

As for the film itself - I thought this was devastating and highly emotional film. If you thought Ingmar Bergman films were hardcore heavy drama, this takes it up a notch

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2013 11:55 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this but your comments surprise me given the director. He's very much a heavy hitter in the arthouse scene. Our patrons all look rather dazed coming out of this. I don't know if this is a good or a bad sign in terms of how it has been received but it's wholly commensurate with a Haneke film, I think.

I think I've only seen 2 of his films: Hidden and Funny Games (US). Hidden didn't greatly impress me at the time but it was my first Haneke so I was caught a little off guard. Funny Games I loved and count it amongst the best horror films made (which is ironic in itself really given what Haneke was doing with it).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-02-2013 12:05 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We liked to occasionally run interesting double bills. Here's one I think would be a winner:

AMOUR and 'NIGHT, MOTHER.

And offer a free week's supply of Cymbalta with every ticket.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: