Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Les Miserables (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Les Miserables
Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2013 11:25 AM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 and a half hours is a long time to sit through a bunch of people singing about how miserable they are.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-01-2013 06:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to respect your endurance. I walked out after about 20 minutes.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife summed it up very well. About 2/3 of the way through, she just quietly said, "Please, just stop singing!"

It would have been a bit better if Crowe and Jackman's parts had been pitched a bit lower. Both were forced to sing much too high.

There are just too many close-up's in this movie. It's too intense, and there is just not a break.

Anne Hathaway did a great job on her song...best thing in the picture. Too bad it is in the first 1/2-hour.

Very disappointing. Worst movie of the season, so far.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2013 11:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even the whole stage version is entirely sung - why is this a surprise or an annoyance? [Big Grin] thankfully the stage version has an intermission, but yes, it's a bit overbearing. Crowe's singing is hit and miss but not as bad as Pierce Brosnan in "Mamma Mia!"

as for the closeups - knowing this is a Tom Hooper film and every single interview with the cast noting the camera was placed so IN YOUR FACE - this was expected. But as a result, the vocals were pushed front and center, that the musical score was dramatically lacking - I couldn't even imagine how wasted the 7.1 mix of the film must sound. [Now bring on 'Miss Saigon' in Dolby Atmos!!!]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2013 08:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what was ever wrong with the 35mm print I saw at the Avalon theater - the DCP I saw over at the Angelika was a completely different story, all the music and sound effects seemed more prominent including the use of the two rear center surround channels (in 7.1) - NOW I understand why it's been nominated for sound mixing.

I still like the movie, despite the grumblings from others in this thread topic.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-19-2013 10:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
even the whole stage version is entirely sung - why is this a surprise or an annoyance?
Perhaps many who went to see the movie know little to nothing about the stage version? It's not like only people who have seen the play will or are allowed to see the movie. That's just silly. So yes it can be surprising and definitely annoying. Also, movies are not the same thing as plays. Plays are mostly for hoity-toity people who would consider it "art". Movies are for all people. What works for a play might not work for a movie and vice-versa.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 07:42 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, there are people who have never heard of the Les Mis stage play?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-20-2013 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't particularly care for the movie either, although I had hopes for it. I've never seen the play, read the book, or seen any other telling of this story in any form, so I didn't really know what to expect. But I didn't like it.

I don't think the amount of singing bothered me. Jesus Christ Superstar is just about all singing too, and I love that stage show and movie. I just didn't like the music I guess. Except for Ann Hathaway's song, which everyone knows, and which she did a spectacular job with. Other than that, the rest of the songs... eh. I don't think that's necessarily the fault of anyone involved with making this movie. I just didn't care for it.

Some people are emotional about it though.

YouTube Link

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Perhaps many who went to see the movie know little to nothing about the stage version? It's not like only people who have seen the play will or are allowed to see the movie. That's just silly. So yes it can be surprising and definitely annoying. Also, movies are not the same thing as plays. Plays are mostly for hoity-toity people who would consider it "art". Movies are for all people. What works for a play might not work for a movie and vice-versa.
reverse elitism - eh? why defend culturally ineptness?

quote: Stu Jamieson
Shocking!! [Eek!] as if some people live in caves or don't even read Entertainment Weekly.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-20-2013 01:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, because seeing plays is "cultured". I'd say movies are a bigger culture than plays. It's people like you who make me hate people like you.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well duh - movies are a bigger culture than plays.

quote: Joe Redifer
Ah yes, because seeing plays is "cultured". I'd say movies are a bigger culture than plays. It's people like you who make me hate people like you.
come on Joe, really? ... sad [moving on]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 11:01 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
Anne Hathaway did a great job on her song...best thing in the picture. Too bad it is in the first 1/2-hour.
One thing my wife noticed about Anne Hathaway's song.... it looks as if she did it in one take. The camera NEVER cuts away from her face for the entire song.

I've seen the play, and now I've seen the movie. I really never could follow the plot line during the play, but the movie made sense.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the only take she did, wasn't it? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-21-2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a lot of the songs were in one long take.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 03:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
People can hear of something while not knowing the details of it.

Like if you only heard that there was a stage play of Les Mis, that wouldn't tell you that it was 100% sung and certainly wouldn't tell you that the new movie version of the story would also be so.

Also, just because one hears that there's an all-musical stage play, that doesn't mean that they will remember this fact when the movie comes out nor may connect that the style of the latter is taken directly from the former.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: