Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Monsters, Inc (2012)

Author Topic: Monsters, Inc (2012)
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still a great flick from PIXAR, being originally released in 2001, but one question stands out:

Why did Disney take a flat movie and cropped, plus blowing it up it for a scope re-issue?

Some scenes, esp the closeup shots, had the tops of the character's heads really chopped off.

Just an odd procedure from Disney to do this one. Yet, with their other 2D to 3D re-issues, they left the format alone.

Go figure - Monte

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um actually the rerelease is in Flat (1998 X 1080). Where did you see it as I am guessing that the person who built the show used the wrong cue (3D Scope instead of 3D Flat). Oops...

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2012 12:49 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was projected in Flat at my local cinema: Showplex Cinemas in Hays, KS. The show I seen was in RealD 3D from Cinadigm on a Barco DP2K with a I think Doremi IMB.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey .. makes perfect sense. A mgr built the playlist, not a projectionist..and the mgr is supposed to be qualified to know what to do ...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-01-2013 10:49 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some things never change.

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2013 11:30 AM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then what was the deal with the TV commercials, where the image WAS letterboxed scope with image seeping into the black bars? I thought maybe Disney/Pixar had re-formatted the flick, but I saw it yesterday and it was 1.85.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2013 08:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, everybody is right. Who assembled the playlist, didn't know the difference between the letter "F" and "S" in the feature name string.

Oh well, I'm the only one that noticed the error and no complaints from the patrons, thus I don't count in this occurance.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have yet to see it, but from what I've been reading online this is one of the rare few Pixar outtings where the 3D really works to excellent effect.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2013 08:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ and yes... I was very very impressed - missed the 7.1 audio remix, but guess that will have to wait til the bluray.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: