Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Django Unchained

Author Topic: Django Unchained
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2012 04:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Quentin Tarantino is back in full form creating a fantastic and entertaining movie with his unique method of storytelling and his trademark spectacular dialogue. Christoph Waltz has once again provided an Oscar award worthy performance as well. Just like his role in Inglorious Basterds, whenever Mr. Waltz is on screen he will have 100% of your attention.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Why not 5 out of 5? The sound mix. Sadly just like with most Quentin movies, the sound mix is done well up until the point where a piece of music starts playing. During the music the treble is simply too strong and the overall level of the music is just too damn loud. It is VERY distracting. (Adding distortion to some of the songs also pulls the viewer out of the movie.)

Other than the bad sound mixing, this movie is quirky and a whole lot of fun. Go see it!

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2012 11:01 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who dont realize it, the Django character goes back to a series of about half a dozen spagehetti westerns (which were particularly big in Spain) from 1966 throught the early 70's - most of which were so bad that they were never released here in the states.

First Django Poster

Other Django Posters

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-26-2012 06:46 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 2
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

They fixed the RF channel speaker issues I noted when I saw "Lincoln" in this room. They must have balanced everything while they were at it because the sound was about as perfect as it could be, making the shrilling treble Brad noted shrill to...uh...perfection?

THE PLOT: A German buys a slave to point out some bounties. Wackiness ensues.

This was great great great great great up until the handshake scene. Then it just became a gratuitous grindhouse feature. It might have even been noble to leave it with the handshake, but I guess that wasn't in the cards.

First Tarantino movie I have no desire to ever see again.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2012 02:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first end credit vocal music comes from the opening credit music of the 1971 film, "They Call Me Trinity ... tribute to the classic 70's Spaghetti Westerns.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-24-2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, exactly what I was expecting to see. Good story, ultra-violent. And flashes of Quentin Tarantino's offbeat idea of humour.

What's not to like.

I really like the sets and the costumes in this one too.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-24-2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: The shrill music, I think Quentin is doing that on purpose to match the music mixes of the old Spaghetti Westerns. [thumbsup]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-14-2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even after seeing it about four times in total right now it's still totally enjoyable.

In my opinion, a classical Tarantino movie is a lot funnier in every aspect than any movie that calls itself a comedy.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2013 04:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, but I don't think it needed to be 2 hours and 45 minutes in length - but I'm not sure what they could have cut to make it more streamlined.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three thumbs up?!! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: