Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Hobbit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Hobbit
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2012 12:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Nobody has reviewed this yet?

This movie should've been called "The Hobbit Christmas Family Reunion TV Special"...because that's what it seemed like.

I can't be the only person who felt like they were watching a forced sequel. It was as if they went out of their way to write all of the stars from Lord of the Rings into this script, even if it wasn't necessary. The movie takes forever to setup the plot (the better part of an hour) and features very fake-looking CGI, which was probably mostly to blame on the 48 FPS high frame rate nonsense.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

I really liked the original Lord of the Rings movies, but this one just doesn't do it for me. It looks bad, the sound mix was nowhere near as good as the LOTR movies, everything seems forced, and it was just kinda blah.

2.5 out of 5

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 12:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it enjoyable just because I love the characters, the original story, and most things Middle Earth.

That said, this one definitely lacks the polish of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Too much CGI and not enough tactile, real stuff that made the originals so nice to watch. I'm curious to see how the other two films are handled but this one just felt like Peter Jackson wasn't trying nearly as hard. Perhaps because he wasn't originally going to direct it in the first place.

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2012 04:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our first day with the flik wasn't the best .. and some walked out after watching it, saying that " it just wasn't it". For 169 minutes, some said it really dragged on.

Sounds like the Rankin-Bass, 1977 cartoon version for TV was a lot better.

Is this the sign of things to come for the rest of the year's releases?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 10:48 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was less than the sum of its parts (which is exactly how I felt about King Kong). I would love to see them release a shorter, tighter cut down the line, much the way they did the exact opposite with the LotR films.

I saw it in 2D at Harkins Northfield on their large Cine-Capri screen. It looked like 4K to me, but I don't know that for a fact. Presentation was good, but could have been a little louder.

Side note: I liked the preview for the WALL*E remake starring Tom Cruise.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Geoff: the editing/pacing was not nearly as good as the theatrical LOTR films. My friends think I'm nuts, but I've always stood by the theatrical cuts of those being the best versions as they are paced so well compared to the at times bloated extended versions.

AJG

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 11:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of making 3 movies totaling 8 to 9 hours out of a single 250 page book was ridiculous to begin with. The result had to be padded and bloated and it most certainly was. Prehaps it should have been titled "The Hobbit: Bored Of The Rings".

But look on the bright side: parents will bring little children who will quickly lose interest. That translates to more trips to the concession stand.

As far as the 48 FPS is concerned, I am reminded of my initial reaction listening to the first compact discs as compared with their analog vinyl counterparts: clearer yet harsher. And the warning that they used to imprint on the inserts of the first compact discs also applies: "the high resolution of this technology may reveal limitations in the source recordings".

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 12:24 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Hobbit last night (RealD HFR).

Background: I've not seen any of the LoTR movies, never read anything by Tolkien, have no middle earth tendencies. Just went along to see what HFR looked like. Expecting the worst, based on comments here and elsewhere.

But, as a movie-going experience, I was blown away.

Knowing nothing of the story, I was hooked. Three hours that seemed to pass in a flash.

The movie just looked lovely. Breathtaking.

The biggest surprise was that it actually had humour in there; that I was not expecting.

Worth every cent of the admission. Though I well overdid the sweeties at concessions, thinking I'd be muching my way non-stop through boredom, failing to finish the first bag...

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cobb Village 12, Leesburg, VA
AUDITORIUM: 4
PRESENTATION: Barco 2K, Dolby 7.1, 2D
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Two boys giggling to the left of me for the first hour, and then covered their ears for the crappy sound mix.
RATING: Four (out of ten)

I don't know which sound mix was worse this year, "The Dark Knight Rises" or "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". I seriously thought something was wrong with the sound system. When the Goblin King spoke, it sounded like his voice was coming out of all three stage speakers. I might have to see this in Atmos at Tyson's.

Also the movie was bloated and over-long. How are they seriously going to make a trilogy of films based solely on a 250-300 page book? I wish Guillermo del Toro was directing...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2012 01:37 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this last Monday when I did the IMAX build and screened it after. I waited until I had seen it again before posting my review just to make sure sleep deprivation didn't have any effect on my thoughts.

While I'm not a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I did enjoy them. Some how in my life I've never seen the Animated Hobbit feature nor read the book. I went into this just knowing what I had heard from people for the past year or so and watching the Production diaries that PJ puts out. While I enjoyed the film, the one time viewing was all I'd need. As already mentioned, the first hour takes forever, however this was by far my favorite part of the movie. Martin Freeman is inspired casting for Bilbo, he plays the character with a quirk and charm that no many could of pulled off. Elijah Wood did not do this with Frodo, he felt wooden where Martin feels like the character he is portraying. I've always rather enjoyed the Shire and liked the scenes that took place there this time around.

Richard Armitage is great, I really enjoyed the BBC Robin Hood series where he portrayed Guy Gisborne. Some of the other Dwarfs are great, but most are just filler. From what I'm told they will all get their own chance to shine in the sequels.

The IMAX print for the first hour or so has some very washed out/over saturated scenes. I'm not sure if this from the scenes needing to be a little brighter for Digital release due to the lack of light out put but it makes some of the blacks gray and some of the greens almost neon green. Seems the color correction gets fixed after they hit Rivendale (Sure that's not right)

I've only seen about 20 minutes of the HFR and I'm on the fence, some instances it looked good, other's I was waiting to hear Benny Hill music play while they were moving. I'll need to sit down and watch it in the next couple months to get a full idea of it.

Overall 3.25/5 [thumbsup]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-17-2012 09:12 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My primary interest wasn't in the movie itself. I guess regarding the story, I got exactly what I expected. So, I withheld judgement until I had seen this in both 24 and 48 fps. I've seen this 2.5 times now...

The first time was in 3D HFR using Dolby3D. This presentation started off on the wrong foot: First they moved us from one of their biggest houses to a smaller one. The bigger house has a dual Barco projector setup and I guess that one couldn't handle HFR (yet). The 3D trailers in front of the main feature were in plain 24 FPS off course, but the color wheel timing was off: All 3D trailers had their left and right frames mixed with a huge dose of flicker. When the HFR kicked in, it took about 5 seconds for the projector to adjust: The first seconds of the WB logo were messed up. All in all, it left a very amateurish first impression.

The second time was in "24 FPS Dolby3D" in the same theater, essentially using the same gear and comparable screen size. This way I had the best comparison between the HFR and non-HFR version.

The last time was in HFR 3D using RealD. This screening was much darker and had there was a huge amount of ghosting present. The transition between 24 FPS and 48 FPS was entirely smooth although. I didn't watch this presentation until the end, because frankly, I had my fair share of The Hobbit already...

In both Dolby3D presentations (HFR and 24 fps), the picture looked extremely vivid and sharp. Maybe even a bit too realistic, especially for a fantasy movie. The fact that you're looking at just a 2K picture was merely revealed by the subtitles and credits in this case.

Having seen both the HFR and normal 3D version, I can say that much of the "TV/documentary/soap opera" look is also present in the normal (3D) version. Actually, the darker RealD presentation in HFR I've watched looked more "cinematic" than the brighter normal 3D projection. The 24 fps version doesn't suffer from the "fast forward/Benny Hill" look, it is obvious that they've added extra motion blur in post here. I guess the "fast forward look" is the result of the motion blur in those scenes not being adjusted to our own vision, it probably exceeds our own vision and thus is perceived as being sped-up.

The HFR is noticable from the very first seconds. Even the Warner Brothers, New Line Cinema and MGM logos look much more fluently animated in HFR. Also, there is no judder visible in any of the exorbitant camera moves. Actually, you can now even see unstable camera moves in several shots, that would otherwise be perceived as judder or would've been almost unnoticed due to the motion blur.

Personally, I think HFR is a step forward in creating more realism and a better cinema experience overall. But it is a tool that needs to be used with great care. Additionally, I guess we still need to learn how to adjust shutter speed during recording and how to apply motion blur in post production, especially for close-ups, to avoid this "fast forward" effect in future releases.

Many people are claiming that the CGI in this movie is obvious and looks fake. Well, I watched pieces of the "old" trilogy on BluRay recently and those effects looked much more fake and "green-screeny" than the ones in The Hobbit. I guess it is often difficult to say how things from fantasy movies would look in real life... Gollum, for example, looks far more CGI in LOTR than in The Hobbit.

In my opinion, most of the movie looks great and sometimes even breathtaking. It's got all the ingredients of a real movie epic, just the story falls flat.

I've read the original LotR novels about 15 years ago and I liked most of the original movie trilogy. It probably was already stretched to the maximum bearability back then, but they had about 1300 pages worth of material. Although I've never read The Hobbit, I fully agree with the critics when they say that creating a fully blown trilogy out of 250-300 pages worth of material is really pushing it, probably right over the edge. As a whole, I got what I expected and story-wise, and I didn't expect very much.

I don't know how that neat "Spoiler" tag works, so I do it this way:

Spoiler alert below this invisible line:

quote:
I also can't get over the fact that they are traveling on foot probably hundreds of miles, and yet it wasn't until everyone gets trapped into a burning tree leaning over a cliff (that they ignite) does the wizard get the idea to tell a butterfly to go bring some big birds to carry them away so they don't have to walk the last hundred miles.
That was one of my points too, but that's also a problem in the last LotR part, isn't it? They also got those big birds (Eagles if I remember correctly) there. So why couldn't they fly right into Mordor and drop the ring right in the volcano, or at least drop Frodo and gang right at the entrance of Mount Doom?
I guess those plot holes are quite omnipresent in most of those fantasy movies (and novels alike), especially those involving wizards. Sometimes you ask yourself why nobody used magic trick #24 a few minutes earlier and saved the day and maybe even the movie... The Deus ex machina is always around the corner in those kind of stories.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2012 05:38 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was way to slow. Looked like the extended edition, just for hard core fans...
Also too much over the top CGI stuff... that said... in the originals there were also some poor CGI shots. But here it was overdone. I want 2D in HFR. Thank you.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Personally, I think HFR is a step forward in creating more realism and a better cinema experience overall. But it is a tool that needs to be used with great care. Additionally, I guess we still need to learn how to adjust shutter speed during recording and how to apply motion blur in post production, especially for close-ups, to avoid this "fast forward" effect in future releases.

Wasn't this one of the key reasons he wanted to do it in HFR 48fps? To get rid of the motion blur and give a clear showing of his movie? Why shoot a movie in the format just to go in during post and make it not look like it was shot in 48fps? That seems like a giant waste of money, the sped up effect is a by product of the process, you don't want it? Then don't shoot it that way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-19-2012 01:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
It was as if they went out of their way to write all of the stars from Lord of the Rings into this script, even if it wasn't necessary.
Ug. It's if they feel the movie can't even stand on its own or something. This will be a Redbox Blu-ray rental at the most.

quote: Brad Miller
the sound mix was nowhere near as good as the LOTR movies
Scratch that. Redbox rental only if we have a coupon. LotR had a great sound mix, especially the first one.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-19-2012 01:50 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Wasn't this one of the key reasons he wanted to do it in HFR 48fps? To get rid of the motion blur and give a clear showing of his movie? Why shoot a movie in the format just to go in during post and make it not look like it was shot in 48fps? That seems like a giant waste of money, the sped up effect is a by product of the process, you don't want it? Then don't shoot it that way.
In my opinion, judder and extensive motion blur is a distraction in many 24 FPS presentations, but this "fast forward" look is a distraction in HFR. Why shouldn't we aim for a situation were you can have all the benefits of HFR but not the distractions?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
That was one of my points too, but that's also a problem in the last LotR part, isn't it?
Technically yes, but the original LOTR series was involving. This one was a bit boring. I was waiting around for "fat hobbit" to make his cameo (which he never did) and maybe some talking trees (which I found silly in the LOTR series, but forgave it because the sound mix was really good and the overall movie was good). If the movie is boring, the mind wanders and starts being distracted by stupid things like this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: