Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lincoln

Author Topic: Lincoln
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly good portrayal by Daniel Day-Lewis. He captures Lincolns physical issues, his intensities, everything I've read about Abe is dead on. One of the best pics I've seen. Don't miss it. Two and a half hours seemed like 50 minutes. Watched it twice.

Screened in 4k.

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw LINCOLN last Saturday at the Academy member's screening.
A full house at the 1012 seat Goldwyn Theater, with prolonged applause at the end, thru the credits.
I fully agree with Bill's comments about the 2.5 hours going by quickly.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it at the Academy with my father (previous post), and helping that time pass quickly wasn't just quality writing and tight directing, but stellar performances. There were only a couple of female roles, but for the men, they'll need more statuettes this year for Supporting Actor. I imagine Strathairn or Jones will win it, but there are many worthwhile contenders. Small roles, but no small actors here.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-23-2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 2
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Right front channel is seriously distorted, like maybe a cracked midrange or woofer cone or something
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

The last ten minutes or so of "First Look" went right channel only, which I've noted had problems. It was awful sounding and multiple people got up to complain about it. There were two different responses based on who the customer complained to...

1. "We downloaded it during Hurricane Sandy."
2. "It's live off satellite, and we can't do anything about it."

In either case, they were assured it would clear up when the movie started. And while the full soundtrack played during the feature, clearly the right front channel is in need of service.

THE PLOT: A president tells funny stories. Wackiness ensues.

This isn't a life biography of Lincoln...just a telling of the work to pass the 13th Amendment. It could have just ended with that as well, but they went on to cover his assassination too. Didn't need to, but they did.

I'd love to remember Lincoln exactly this way. I've long said the key to a great President is to be a great speaker who knows what to say to people. And that's really what this movie is about.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took my wife and her grand-niece to see "Lincoln" at the twin theatre on Austin Street in Forest Hills (NY) today, but the tickets were sold out. Bummer. Tried to connect a MacBook to our Sony TV to watch a Net-Flix film, but didn't have a proper USB-to-analog cable. Wound up watching broadcast TV. Black Friday indeed!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this film very timely in its depiction of the conflicts a president faces in trying to act in accordance with his ideals and what's best for the country, versus the pragmatic need to compromise and resort to less than ideal techniques to achieve his goals.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-28-2012 10:55 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's best for the country is to stick to the ideals and constructs of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. Lincoln was doing that. There's not much evidence of anyone in a leadership position doing that right now, so I'm not sure what's "timely" about it. It was a great film though. My wife and I enjoyed it very much.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-29-2012 12:23 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lincoln the man was reported to be as slick a politician as anyone since, but he did have ideals as most of us do and an unshakeable resolve to keep the states in the Union. Ending slavery was second to that.

I think the movie is timely. There are even similarly slithering reptile politicians to the ones depicted in the movie.

I'll leave it others to name them.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I was sitting to close to the screen (got to Landmark Bethesda on the late side and as a result got less than ideal seats for me), but I could hardly hear the surround sound channels - guess I'll have to wait to resee/hear this in 7.1 when the bluray gets released.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: