Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Looper

Author Topic: Looper
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4:30 Harkins Northfield, Cine Capri auditorium. Unknown digital, but it's gotta be 4k, considering the size of the screen & the general quality of the picture.

Lots of interesting thoughtful ideas and performances on display. Not a lot of folks to root for.

I find it hard to believe that in the future it will be easier to send someone through time than to dispose of a body. Haven't any of these people seen Breaking Bad?

Only real presentation issue: There was a very young and disruptive child sitting behind us. The disruptions were almost as bad as the dismay we felt that his parents thought it was ok for him to watch the onscreen violence and carnage, some of which involved children.

We spoke to a manager afterwards. He said quite politely (and we acknowledged), that he is not in control of what people show their children. We asked that he at least have his box office staff warn folks that the movie is really not child friendly. He said he would.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-30-2012 01:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning people about a movie not being "child friendly" never worked out well for me. After being chewed out a few times by the people for "trying to tell them how to raise their kid", I gave it up years ago.

The film classification is included in all of my advertising and the sign is up. If anyone asks me about the content of a movie and whether I think it's suitable for their kid, I'll tell them. Period.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2012 08:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of what we do. Actually I think we need a new rating: "THAT BAD"

Because on R-rated movies, people are always coming in, kids in tow, and asking "Is it really THAT BAD?"

Trouble is, if I say yes, it's really that bad ("Ted") or no, it's really not that bad ("Planes, Trains and Automobiles" for example) ... they'll probably bring the kids in either way.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-13-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 10
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema 2K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Bruce Willis travels back in time to stop himself from doing more Die Hard sequels. Wackiness ensues.

WOW this movie takes a lot of energy to watch. It's all good, but it's not one to see sleepy. There's lots of plot loops (pun intended) to close, and they do a fine job.

Great ending. It's almost like they came up with a good idea for an ending and built a movie around it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2012 11:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Bruce Willis travels back in time to stop himself from doing more Die Hard sequels.
Apparently that plot didn't work, since a new Die Hard is coming out in February.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2012 06:03 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
Warning people about a movie not being "child friendly" never worked out well for me. After being chewed out a few times by the people for "trying to tell them how to raise their kid", I gave it up years ago.
After trying unsuccessfully to keep someone from bringing their, like, 5 year-old kid to see Bridesmaids last year, I started a new policy, which is borrowed almost verbatim from the MPAA, which is that nobody under 7 is admitted to R-rated shows. I printed it and put it in a frame in the ticket booth, and it's worked beautifully.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: