Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Bourne Legacy (2012)

Author Topic: The Bourne Legacy (2012)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-13-2012 12:03 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Jason Bourne is...wait, he's not in this? Oh. Hey...got any meds? Wackiness ensues.

It's the usual Bourne franchise type deal as far as the action and good guy-bad guy deal goes. What it's missing is the mystery. We all know what the deal is. So what's the point?

Still, the 2.25 hours goes by pretty quickly. Worth seeing, just not sure why.

Say! Did you know every car in the Philippines is a Toyota? Neither did I.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-13-2012 03:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaky cam?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Roger Ebert's review:
quote:
The dialogue is concise, the cinematography is arresting and the plot is a murky muddle.
So I guess that means shaky cam is kept reasonable. I'm planning to watch this one of these days.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember how many books their are. They all have Bourne in the title but only the first three had Bourne in the stories. If I remember right. I think I read all of them but not sure anymore. They were a good read and I think way better than the movies.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-14-2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaky Cam is present, though didn't seem to be as annoying as the second movie.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
I can't remember how many books their are. They all have Bourne in the title but only the first three had Bourne in the stories. If I remember right.
I've not read the books, but the plot summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bourne_Legacy mentions stuff with Bourne being involved from beginning to end.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually I thought the opposite in terms of the running time, the two and half hours felt like four. The movie was an utter mess, it was boring at times, it was thrilling at times, the final chase scene though was silly and seemed like it came out of a Terminator movie.

Universal please axe this franchise - this movie failed on so many levels.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-15-2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were 3 books written by the author. This one is a Bourne book by another author. The book was a mess, structurally. A good script doctor might have fixed it, but, judging by the comments here, didn't. Louis

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-17-2012 03:00 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the movie very uneven. There are two really good sequences (the hunting in the house and the climactic motorcycle chase), but the rest of the movie is pretty much "stock footage".

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall I enjoyed the storyline, but then, I wasn't expecting much different from the previous Matt Damon episodes. From that perspective it was acceptable; however, some of the scenes were just plain annoying. For instance, when they were in the car being pursued, the reflections on the windshield were so bad the actors couldn't be seen. The reflection was bright enought to make me want to look elsewhere. (I didn't think I would need my sunglasses inside the theatre.) I was not so impressed by the digital version, guess I'll check a 35mm version (if there is one) and see if the film is a little more subdued in the stray light and reflections department. 4 out of 5 for the storyline, only 2 on the presentation.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2012 08:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Frank, yes I agree the action scene in the house is well done, as is the lab massacre scene - which is a tad too jarring at times, it's not graphic but the brazen act of violence seems to be mirroring some recent real life tragic events, as a result the tension is harrowing and nail biting.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting good reactions to this, in fact we've had some repeat customers. Good word-of-mouth. I haven't watched it yet though.

One thing for sure, the sound mix is WAY softer than The Dark Knight Rises.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2012 05:07 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ends with no resolution. Just ends.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-19-2012 12:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Traditional James Bond movie ending.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: