Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Step Up Revolution

Author Topic: Step Up Revolution
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Tysons: Screen 15: Sony DP / 5.1

the saga continues... evil business man wants to develop a run down section of Miami, dancers get their jiggy on and try to dissuade him. Oh and hot young guy falls in love with developers daughter: "conflict" (the two leads were actually quite good and were a positive in my book)

the series is light on plot and it's essentially just about the choreography and thumping dance music. I must admit I thought Step Up 3 was a blast, with great use of 3D, amazing dancing and just flat out fun. For the forth movie the 3D is intermittently effective, but ultimately feels like the filmmakers missed some obvious moments to achieve some 'pop-out' effects. The dancing is good, but over-editing ruins the scenes (and 3D depth) and the music just isn't that memorable and as a result hinders the overall effect.

What is probably the worst offense is that the cinematography comes across as piss poor - supposedly shot and projected at scope (2.35) the presentation I saw suggested otherwise - framing is downright bizarre with objects and people completely looking askew within the frame's borders - I honestly thought the theater was projecting this in 'scope' by mistake.

The DCP also looked way too dark and the colors looked muted - I had asked management to bump up the brightness, which they did, but it honestly didn't look any different - I've seen other movies on this screen and the Sony projector has excellent colors/darkness levels, but here it looked so subpar.

movie: C+ / presentation: D

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: