Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Author Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screened "The Amazing Spider-Man in IMAX 3D" last night, I went in with very low expectations as to not be disappointed. Over all I was pleasantly surprised by the end result of the this film. It is not the best in the franchise, for me that is still Spider-Man 2 but it is the 2nd best in the franchise.

The 3D in this movie works really well in some spots, but falls really flat in others. What they did for IMAX though that really helps is for most of the action scenes they expanded the Aspect ratio for many of the action scenes, which really helps make the 3D pop as the characters are not breaking the frame edge so they really feel like they are coming out of the screen. There are some scenes that really make you feel like your going to fall through the screen to the city streets below.

Andrew Garfield was excellent as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, had lots of character and played the Smart-ass Spidey that Toby could never do in the Raimi versions. Emma Stone is great as Gwen Stacey, however it is really hard to believe that she is so in Love with Peter that fast. The movie moves very fast after an hour in, the first Act is very slow and kinda drags but once Parker becomes Spider-Man it really starts to move, to fast for its own good.

Overall its worthy of watching and watching in 3D, IMAX 3D at least. not sure what it looks like in a normal sized screen and if the 3D has the same affect.

3.5/5 [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is the first time I've read anything about the expanding aspect ratio for the IMAX version - cool!

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 01:17 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt, since when are you Roger Ebert? [evil]

To quote from his review on rogerebert.com:

"The best of all the "Spider-Man" movies remains Raimi's "Spider-Man 2" (2004), with the best of the series' villains, Doc Ock. This film is probably the second best."

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Knight did this for the scenes shot in 15/65. I liked the effect and it wasn't too jarring when switching

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Ebert saw my Facebook post of my review via Steve Kraus' Facebook and stole my line. Adding what I forgot to put in, that Doc Ock is the best villain the series has scene. [Razz]

Or it is just that great minds think alike [Cool]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre: Clearview Kinnelon (NJ) 8 Plex
Format : 35mm 2D
Date : July 4th 2012 3pm showing.

Presentation:

I looked into the booth port hole as I entered the auditorium, and was pleasantly surprised that this was going to be 35mm. The pleasant surprise did not last long. This was one of the poorest presentation's I have ever seen. It sucked, even by Clearview standards, which are not very high to start with.

The scope lens was crooked, skewing the picture, and it was seriously out of focus. I went out to complain, apparently I was not alone. The manager eventually was able to get the skewing fixed while the show was running, but apparently at some point he, or someone, messed up the scope lens focus ring, so no matter what he did it would not focus completely. He eventually got it so that the focus was almost tolerable. I complained again after the show and much to my surprise, I was given some free passes. I didn't expect that considering I stayed for the complete show. He told me that CTS (Clearview's service company) was called to come fix it. Boy, if I were the service tech, I would be pissed being called out on the 4th of July to adjust a scope lens.

The Movie:

I liked it. As others have pointed out, it is essentially a remake of the 2002 version, but it is a better film. While I love science fiction, I am not a huge fan of "comic" book movies, but this one I would give 4 stars.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-05-2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Kurt and Mitchell, I too enjoyed the new SPIDERMAN movie. I saw it on Tuesday at Regal's Pearl Highland in Real D and the 3-D presentation was flawless. Although one can enjoy the movie just as well in 2-D, I personally felt the 3-D made the movie more exciting especially when Spiderman swings his way through NYC's skyscrapers

I liked Tobey Macguire in the first three films in the franchise but I prefered Andrew Garfield more in the latest movie. Both Kirsten Dunst in the first three films and Emma Stone in the new were both good and I liked them both. I also felt the casting of Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Peter Parker's uncle and aunt were good choices.

-Claude

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-05-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 4
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital Cinema 4K (2D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Crying babies
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A hooligan sneaks into a highly secure company working on super secret stuff and gets bitten by a spider, then has inexplicable permission to parade on in pretty much whenever he wants to for no reason throughout the movie. Wackiness ensues.

See, that's just one of the many plot holes for me. Not to mention the "head intern" high school student having full access to everything including the secret code to alert a full building evacuation. Plus, it doesn't have the heart of the first two Spider-Man movies. It's a lot better than the third, but so is like three quarters of all movies ever made in the history of the world. It's not going to win a place in my home movie collection.

Stan Lee's cameo may have been his best yet.

Apparently the main reason for this reboot is that Sony needs to put out a movie every so often to hold on to the rights, which Disney really really really wants back. So there you go.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2012 12:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I saw this in 15/70 IMAX (not 3D) and I thought it was very entertaining, question about the opening AR near the end - what WAS the aspect ratio?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: