Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Prometheus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Prometheus
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Director Ridley Scott has, for some time now, been playing down the status of Prometheus as a "prequel" to his 1979 monster hit, Alien, and now that his return to the franchise has arrived it's clear why. Prometheus is indeed a prequel but it is of a different flavour to Alien and so the pre-release rhetoric is designed to diminish punters' expectations of another "bug hunt" movie.

Scott deserves recognition for pushing the franchise in a new direction because, let's face it, when it's diminished to the quality of the Alien vs Predator movies, it's time to put the old girl down. Scott sensibly disregards the Alien vs Predator films entirely despite those also being prequels; these abominable additions to the Alien canon make no sense whatsoever in his timeline anyway.

Scott has a grander vision for the series, a vision where the xenomorph isn't even the focus of the story. It's a brave move and not one, it seems, that everyone has liked. But Scott has loftier goals than frightening us out of our wits; he means to question our origins, our purpose and, through the arms-length conduit of Erich von Däniken's theories of extra-terrestrial visitation, our relationship with God. Heady stuff indeed, particularly when framed in a horror flick.

Much criticism has been levelled at the script but I beg to differ. It's a subtle composition to be sure which treats its audience with intelligence. It makes no attempt to compete directly with it's forebear. Indeed it seems almost unfair to compare it directly with Alien in much the same way that it's barely valid to compare Alien with Aliens - the former is a horror thriller, the latter is an action bonanza. Prometheus, Alien and Aliens are all great on their own individual merits; one is not better than the other, they're just different types of films.

The script for Prometheus tends towards the cerebral, raising more philosophical questions than it answers and it is better for not attempting to answer them. The characterisations are slight but elegantly handled; the reveal of Liz Shaw's (Noomi Rapace) infertility, for instance, is beautifully executed in an almost wordless fashion. The script may be sleight on the surface but much is suggested beneath.

Scott presents one hell of a back story based on the scant origins of two H. R. Giger images from Alien - that of the alien ship and the chest punctured "space jockey". Despite having no new creative input, Giger's spirit continues to hang heavily over the franchise for although his biomechanoid design is curiously absent bar that which was lifted directly from Alien, his special brand of Fruedian horror endures in the newly designed vagina monsters that impregnate their victims through phallic oral invasion. All that's missing is the inky black skin and hydraulic veinwork.

I seem to spend a lot time decrying the current exploitative trend in 3D technology but I'm pleased to say that this film is one of those rarities that is worth the trip. Scott understands 3D, shooting wide open spaces and wide open space with suitable depth of field, exploiting the technology to the full. This is what 3D is all about! Immersion, not liver-in-your-lap gimmicks.

Prometheus is an elegant philosophical thriller which dares to set a different tone to it's cash cow predecessors. It bravely sends the franchise in a different, more thoughtful direction, nicely referencing Christian theology, Greek mythology and Von Daniken. If anything, the most disappointing moment is the final reveal of the alien we all know and fear - it's a gratuitous scene that goes without saying and I suspect studio meddling to include it. That one scene aside, it's a very good film.

9 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see the longer cut on bluray, because the theatrical cut is outright bad, in it's editing. I've seen it twice now, and it's pacing and logic are so mind numbing - it just pissed me off.

obviously technically, it looks great and sounds fantastic (in 7.1) as it's the usual case for all of Ridley Scott's films, but I ain't holding my breath that Fox Home Video will port the 7.1 audio mix onto bluray - they have done it twice already with prior 7.1 films - so if they don't they'll get a nasty email from me.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-12-2012 03:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson

Much criticism has been levelled at the script but I beg to differ. It's a subtle composition to be sure which treats its audience with intelligence.

I stopped reading here. You gotta be KIDDING me!

This kind of comment is nothing more than a way of saying that you liked it and you consider yourself intelligent -- more intelligent than those who don't like it.

I call "bullshit!"

I can't believe I silenced my cel phone for this trash.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ I dispute that that's what my comment means but I do appear to be largely alone in my opinion of the script.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-12-2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am considerd by most of my friends and teachers in high school and at Brooks Institute where I studied photography to be very intelligent. The suggestion that only intelligent people will enjoy PROMETIOUS gives me a reason to be concerned about my mind because I found the movie very confusing and difficult to understand and I did not enjoy the movie at all! I loved Ridley Scott's other films, ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER and was expecting to enjoy this picture too but his decision to go overboard with the way the film was edited totally screwed a picture that had a great potential.

I saw the movie today in Real D 3-D today at Regal's Pearl Highland and found the 3-D very good but I had seen better. The 3-D used in AVATAR and HUGO was excellent but the way it looked in PROMETIOUS appeared like very good post converted to 3-D from a 2-D source.

1 out of 4

-Claude

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-12-2012 08:46 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow to Manny's latest comments.

I really wanted to like it as "Alien" is way up on my best film list. I practically owe my career at Dolby Labs on the new 70mm installations in prep for this film bringing me a lot of attention from Fox and Dolby personnel.

I've seen it many, many times and never got tired of the minimalist approach. I became almost as addicted to this as I did to "The Wire".

I've read other reviews here and there that lead me to want to give it another try.

It seemed mighty poor plotting, starting with the crew running out to explore with sunset approaching, throwing caution to the wind. Even Idris Elba seemed weak and a direct copy of Yaphet Kotto; he had his own persona but a southern accent that seemed to come from Omar Little. Is there some rule that Alien pilots must be Black? Why couldn't he be British?

David was very good and the idea of having Peter O'Toole as his model was brilliant. But then to have David end up torn apart exactly the same as Ian Holm seemed pretty trite.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-12-2012 09:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening was incoherent. Off to a horrible start. WTF was that all about? No - don't - please don't try to explain it. You'd be wasting your time. I really couldn't care less.

Moving right along...we're in space now...

Problem: Given how long ago the clues were left on Earth -- the idea totally STOLEN from 2001 -- and how "old" the visible light from a star is (when viewed from Earth) it's a wonder anything was still there when they arrived. Sure, it's possible, but good sci-fi is supposed to anticipate these kinds of logical questions, and find clever ways of convincing the skeptic to suspend disbelief.

"Intelligent viewers" don't merely settle for possible. We prefer plausible. We like a little bit of "science" in our science fiction.

Which brings me to...

We're supposed to believe they got there in just a few years. Even if they traveled AT the speed of light -- which isn't theoretically possible, unless Dr. Sagan was wrong -- the nearest stars are about 4 light years away.

Pushups? Immediately following years of interstellar hibernation? Really? Cast your mind back just a few years and recall what a HUGE DEAL it was that the female astronaut (Sunita Williams?) could even WALK off the Space Shuttle after spending MONTHS aboard the ISS. She could barely walk. Barely. And they made a HUGE DEAL out of it.

And, c'mon! -- It just doesn't make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER that the magic doctor machine would only be designed for males only, when there are two women aboard. And, really, does it make sense that a machine like that would come in a "budget" model? And does it make sense that a company that can fund a mission several light years away would BUY the budget model? Finally -- more to the point -- it didn't really serve the plot anyway because Miss Thing finds a way to trick it in less than 2 minutes -- so it was just a stupid stupid STUPID and TRANSPARENT gimmick to "create suspense." Whatever.

I agree with someone who posted on another forum that the most interesting characters were the two sidekicks with the ongoing bet. I TOTALLY agree.

Wasted opportunity for a "payoff" on the line: "The trick is not minding that it hurts."

And now, if y'all don't mind, I'm going to watch the original ALIEN which I immediately bought at Best Buy for $9.99 -- consider it the mouthwash to rid myself of the horrible PROMETHEUS after-taste -- and, BTW, this copy of ALIEN cost less than the (small) popcorn and (small) Coke I bought at the theatre -- more than a dollar less.

My God in Heaven! These have got to be the LAST DAYS!

Astronaut Walks...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-12-2012 10:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-----at least my small diet coke was free thanks to my Regal club card ,dollar hot dog and $2.00 small pop corn, the only additional amount of money I spent was for the admission ticket plus the $4.00 3-D surcharge.

I have all the ALIEN movies on Blu Ray in a special edition collection and I think I will watch ALIEN tonight too.

-Claude

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2012 11:17 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part was when old Biff Tannen showed up. I was really hoping he would find that sports almanac this time.

My 2nd favorite part was when Stringer Bell scared the lady with his accordion right when she was about to touch the hologram.

My 3rd favorite part was probably the Django Unchained trailer.

BTW, the Cine Capri at Harkins Northfield no longer shows film. Their digital projection is pretty decent, considering the size of the screen. But I could still see jagged edges in diagonal text.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2012 12:27 AM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like several other posts I've read, I saw Alien lurking around every corner in this latest attempt. The special effects were pretty good, digital 2-D acceptable. but the disjointed storyline really sucked. I agree with Claude, the real redemption for this fiasco was the free Coke Regal gave me.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2012 01:55 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny
The opening was incoherent. Off to a horrible start. WTF was that all about?
It's Genesis, dude. (I know you said don't bother explaining it but I couldn't help myself. Evidently my impertinence knows no bounds. [Wink] )

Given how long ago the clues were left on Earth.....it's a wonder anything was still there when they arrived.
Well it was pretty much dead when they arrived and looked like it had been for some time. Did you know there's still pyramids in Egypt after all this time?

We're supposed to believe they got there in just a few years. Even if they traveled AT the speed of light -- which isn't theoretically possible, unless Dr. Sagan was wrong -- the nearest stars are about 4 light years away.
Far be it from me to argue with Uncle Carl but I've got 5 bucks here that says that he won't be the last word on cosmology. Besides, this is sci-fi (with emphasis on the "fi" part) of which inter-stellar travel is a common staple. If you're struggling with that concept then I'm guessing you're not a big sci-fi nut. In addition to that, this franchise is about fearsome aliens with acid for blood - I think that firmly puts it at the "fantasy" end of the genre where pretty much anything can go as long as it complies with the films own internal logic.

quote: Manny Knowles
It just doesn't make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER that the magic doctor machine would only be designed for males only, when there are two women aboard.
Maybe that machine wasn't there for the women? There was a very important male passenger on board, after all. Perhaps it was for him? We know from the last four movies how little the Weyland Corporation has for the personal welfare of its employees. What was the word - "expendable"?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-13-2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with Stu's latest post.

Still, it did not work for most movie goers.

Care to use your considerable analytical and writing skills to take a shot at explaining why most of us were disappointed?

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-13-2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When three people tell you you're drunk, LIE DOWN!!!

This movie fails on so many levels:

As a part of the "Alien" franchise.
As a Ridley Scott picture.
Screenwriting - very poor structure.
Waste of Guy Pearce - anybody could've played that role.

As a "2001" or "Contact" wannabe - so far out of its league as to be embarrassing. Now, HERE we have two sci-fi movies that don't rely on "fantasy" as a cheap way around the "sci" part of the genre. Pardon the pun, but "Prometheus" can't hold a candle to these two films.

Sam - The Australian version was clearly different. [Wink]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
I really wanted to like it as "Alien" is way up on my best film list. I practically owe my career at Dolby Labs on the new 70mm installations in prep for this film bringing me a lot of attention from Fox and Dolby personnel.
Sam: I imagine this article will bring back good memories.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-13-2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Michael, you always come up with the best info. Awesome!

And Manny, nice to see the return of your sense of humor.

I've got to view it again and see how it settles this time.

Someone said we witnessed the birth of the Queen at the end.

Hopefully, the next installment, and there will be one, will be better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: