Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Dictator (2012)

Author Topic: The Dictator (2012)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After surviving an assassination attempt before a UN speech, the brutal dictator of Wadiya hides out in a Brooklyn health food store, where he falls in love with the owner and plans his revenge.

I’m going to reveal one joke in this movie to make a point: the dictator General played by Sacha Baron Cohen has a Nintendo Wii. One of the games is “1972 Munich Olympics” where you score points by kicking down doors and shooting Jews. If you are bent over with laughter at that you’ll have a fine time at this picture, because nearly all of the humor exists at that level of sledgehammer tastelessness. There isn’t a shred of real wit in the whole movie. Cohen doesn’t really recognize any boundaries with his material, and while there are some laughs here, humor based on misogyny, anti-Semitism and just plain sick crap can only go so far before it becomes embarrassing to watch. I’m not sure that’s a real comedy triumph. After awhile you wind up pretty numbed by it all, and the film plays long even at just 82 minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-31-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
the dictator General played by Sacha Baron Cohen has a Nintendo Wii. One of the games is “1972 Munich Olympics” where you score points by kicking down doors and shooting Jews.
That's not very believable at all. I mean, what videogame actually uses a score-based system any more? Oh wait, I guess it's technically a sports game.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: