Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Men in Black III (2012)

Author Topic: Men in Black III (2012)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-26-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 14 at Legacy Crossing, Centerville, UT
AUDITORIUM: 2
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema 2K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Smiling Concession Girl: "Would you like butter on your popcorn?"

Me: "Yes."

Smiling Concession Girl: "Would you like to upgrade to a large for just a dollar more?"

Me: "No."

Smiling Concession Girl: "Are you a member of our rewards club?"

Smiling Concession Girl (excitedly): "Can I start a membership for you?"

Smiling Concession Girl: "Oh."

Me: "..."

Smiling Concession Girl: "Would you like butter on your popcorn?"

THE PLOT: K is grumpy. Wackiness ensues.

Pretty odd of Hollywood to release a second sequel a full ten years after the last sequel. You'd think they'd go with a reboot, since that seems to be the hip things to do these days.

The third MIB is far better than the second MIB, and has quite a different tone from either of the previous outings. Kind of darker. Less humor. More personal. It's a solid two and one half star effort until the end, when suddenly this becomes a three star movie.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-26-2012 07:16 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
It's a solid two and one half star effort until the end, when suddenly this becomes a three star movie.
Not bad for a movie that started shooting without a finished script.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not enjoy it as I had hoped but for a post converted movie, the 3-D was excellent.

-Claude

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cobb Village 12, Leesburg, VA
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: RealD 3D
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None
RATING: Seven (out of ten)

Very entertaining film! Excellent follow-up to the second film, considering how bad it was. Didn't much expect the ending, though.

The 3D overall was okay, compared to The Avengers, but there were some scenes that suppressed any 3D in The Avengers, such as the opening. Some of the scenes were blurry, and sometimes the actors looked like they were plastered on some scenery, instead of looking like they were in an immersive environment (like Avatar and Hugo). Seriously, the 3D s**t has got to stop, before we'll see What to Expect When You're Expecting rereleased in 3D.

Also, is it true that the 2D DCP is available in 4K? I heard that on Sony's 4K website, and since I'm not a projectionist yet (I'm an enthusiast), can someone inform me of a 4K DCP for this film?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You people still watch movies in 3D?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-28-2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the part where Will Smith time-travels had really cool 3-D effects, but other than that the 3-D didn't do much for me on this film. I agree that sometimes it looked "weird," not quite right compared to Avengers which looked really good.

As for the movie itself...it was much better than I expected. I don't remember anything at all about #2, so I expected to be lost with this one, but that didn't happen -- the filmmakers put enough backstory in to bring even a newbie up to speed.

I was hoping to see more of the store clerk who was giving Will Smith the time-travel instructions. He was funny. ("Even in 1969, New York is a large...ish city")

One thing I have noticed about time-travel movies in general. When the main character time-travels at the beginning of the movie, there is always a big long time-travel sequence that's very impressive. But when the star travels back to his own time at the end, the travel sequence zips by in about one or two seconds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: